KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Wind direction in cruising

"druid" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:01:15 +0000, Larry wrote:

stormtactic wrote in
:

After almost twenty years of cruising under sail, I have finally

noticed
that the wind is always coming from the direction of my destination.

I see your problem. You have a "destination". Eliminate it and just
sail at the best point of sail to wherever it leads you and you'll be
lots happier, not to mention finding some great new places. Sailors
don't need a "destination".

This is true. It amazes me the number of people I meet that SAY they like
"travelling" but comment "a sailboat is so SLOW!". If you really like
"travelling" then why are you so anxious to get it over with so quickly?

My Definition of Cruising came from a guy who wanted me to take some pics
of him under sail. We sailed around each other for a while, then I asked
"Where ya headed?" He looks past his bow and shouts back "Looks like
Lasquitti!" Now THAT's cruising!

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

Planned all week to go to Ephraim WI over the weekend. Set sail Saturday
morning only to find that the wind refused to allow us that destination --
at least if we wanted to sail AND get there on Saturday. The winds, however,
were ideal for going to Sturgeon Bay. And just like that, our destination
changed. We had a very enjoyable sail both Saturday and today's return,
enjoying the destination the wind gave us.