posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

Default Converting Diesel engines to burn Bio-fuel

Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

In article . com,
Joe wrote:

Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Joe

You mean real double dipped french fries soft inside and crisp on the
outside, not the North-American greasy overcooked stuff?
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"stormtactic" wrote in
message
In article

. com,
Joe wrote:

You mean real dippy french men, soft inside and crusty on

the
outside?

yelp!

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Joe

What sort of "conversion" were you thinking of doing? Do you think you
can get special bio-diesel fuel injectors for a marine diesel or maybe a
bio-diesel fuel pump? I doubt it very much. The engine will probably run
fine on the stuff but it may loosen up deposits in the tank and lines.
Long-term effects on the engine unknown.
On MythBusters they got a tank of used cooking oil from a french fry place,
filtered out the chunks and mounted a tank on the roof of an old Mercedes
diesel. Car started right up and ran fine. Got only 1 mpg less than on
pump diesel.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 19, 11:00 am, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Seems that all that is required long term is to replace anything
rubber. As rubber is disolved long term. Your pump and injectors
should not be affected inless they have internal rubber parts.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Joe wrote in news:1182270215.620722.115960
@n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Seems that all that is required long term is to replace anything
rubber. As rubber is disolved long term. Your pump and injectors
should not be affected inless they have internal rubber parts.

Joe

I've never figured out why anything you use that bypasses the current
supply train eats rubber. Why would corn or canola oil eat rubber? It
doesn't in the fryers at 450F. I've never seen any dissolved rubber in
my fries...(c;

They said the same thing over R-134a to try to rip us with "conversions"
from R-12. I pumped the R-12 from the 300TD wagon to my 220D antique
diesel car. I changed out the fittings to the new ones. I pumped a
vacuum on the system, injected the R-134a oil and filled it with R-134a.
That was years ago. Not a single piece of rubber failed, as predicted by
anyone selling "conversions".

None of the rubber hoses, return hoses, supply hoses, seals/fittings/etc.
shows any difference running either 170F pure oil or my homebrew mixes of
gas/veggie or mineral spirits/veggie. I think the rubber rumors comes
from OIL COMPANIES. GASOLINE is far more toxic to anything it touches
than any oil....including veggie.

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
You You is offline

In article Z4Tdi.38588$vT6.16597@edtnps90,
"Gordon Wedman" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Just remember that MythBusters is a Southern Kalifornia production, and
if you tried that in Frostbite Falls Minisota, in the winter you would be
doing a lot of walking or rowing as the case may be. Diesel #2 doesn't
even think of gelling untill your down to 10F and Diesel #1 clear down
to -30F or lower. Frier Grease will turn solid at 40F if your not
careful.

You wrote:

Just remember that MythBusters is a Southern Kalifornia production, and
if you tried that in Frostbite Falls Minisota, in the winter you would be
doing a lot of walking or rowing as the case may be. Diesel #2 doesn't
even think of gelling untill your down to 10F and Diesel #1 clear down
to -30F or lower. Frier Grease will turn solid at 40F if your not
careful.

yes, yes ,yes...nothing new here...you have to mix pump diesel into your biodiesel in northern climes
in the winter.

the_bmac wrote in :

yes, yes ,yes...nothing new here...you have to mix pump diesel into
your biodiesel in northern climes in the winter.

Nope. http://www.frybrid.com/

Runs straight oil at -40F. Take a look...(c;

Larry

Larry wrote:
the_bmac wrote in :

yes, yes ,yes...nothing new here...you have to mix pump diesel into
your biodiesel in northern climes in the winter.

Nope. http://www.frybrid.com/

Runs straight oil at -40F. Take a look...(c;

yes, yes, yes...you have to mix pump diesel into biodiesel in northern climes...unless you pre-heat it
first...

Build An Attachment For Gas Engines To Use Water For Fuel [email protected] General 11 June 4th 07 11:26 PM
Marine diesel fuel gus General 4 April 10th 06 05:32 AM
Fuel saving tips Gould 0738 General 55 June 5th 04 11:54 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Boat Building 7 February 19th 04 08:00 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM