posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

Default Converting Diesel engines to burn Bio-fuel

On Jun 19, 11:00 am, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Joe

What sort of "conversion" were you thinking of doing? Do you think you
can get special bio-diesel fuel injectors for a marine diesel or maybe a
bio-diesel fuel pump? I doubt it very much. The engine will probably run
fine on the stuff but it may loosen up deposits in the tank and lines.
Long-term effects on the engine unknown.
On MythBusters they got a tank of used cooking oil from a french fry place,
filtered out the chunks and mounted a tank on the roof of an old Mercedes
diesel. Car started right up and ran fine. Got only 1 mpg less than on
pump diesel.

Seems that all that is required long term is to replace anything
rubber. As rubber is disolved long term. Your pump and injectors
should not be affected inless they have internal rubber parts.

Joe