Default fuel pump not shuting off

can anybody help me out,i have a 1992 4.3 v 6 mercruiser engine
when the ignition key is in the on position (motor is not running )
the fuel pump runs continuly, fuel pump is always running when key is
in on position is this normal or should it shut off when pressure
builds up, i did replace the fuel filter recently with a car fuel
filter same filter but no compression fitting on auto filter but does
not show any signs of leaking thanks for any imput

Its normal for an impulse diaphragm fuel pump to keep running as there
is no pressure cut off switch .... the pump just keeps on running and
'dead-head' stalling until the system demand for fuel allows fuel flow.
Most automotive electric fuel pumps commonly work in this manner.

In article .com,
wrote:

can anybody help me out,i have a 1992 4.3 v 6 mercruiser engine
when the ignition key is in the on position (motor is not running )
the fuel pump runs continuly, fuel pump is always running when key is
in on position is this normal or should it shut off when pressure
builds up, i did replace the fuel filter recently with a car fuel
filter same filter but no compression fitting on auto filter but does
not show any signs of leaking thanks for any imput

On Jun 14, 8:28 pm, Gordon wrote:
Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article .com,
wrote:

can anybody help me out,i have a 1992 4.3 v 6 mercruiser engine
when the ignition key is in the on position (motor is not running )
the fuel pump runs continuly, fuel pump is always running when key is
in on position is this normal or should it shut off when pressure
builds up, i did replace the fuel filter recently with a car fuel
filter same filter but no compression fitting on auto filter but does
not show any signs of leaking thanks for any imput
The pump should be circulating the fuel. There should be a 'return' pipe
somewhere so that excess fuel that the motor does not require is again
filtered and returned to the tank. This is what happens in my diesel
anyway.

HTH

Molesworth

Gasoline fuel systems don't work that way. At least, not carbureted ones.

You can add an oil pressure activated switch and run your pump
circuit thru it.
Gordon- Hide quoted text -

its funny i can not remember hearing the fuel pump running without
engine running before i changed fuel filter could it be possible a
float is stuck in carb or fuel filter is leaking ? also where would i
find oil activated switch and would it be hard to install thanks again

wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:28 pm, Gordon wrote:
Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

Tee into the oil pressure xducer sender on the block. Get the switch
from an auto parts dealer.
Gordon

On Jun 14, 9:28 pm, Gordon wrote:
Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

And you would need a pypass switch to enable starting.

Terry K