Gordon Gordon is offline

Default fuel pump not shuting off

Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
says...

In article .com,
wrote:

can anybody help me out,i have a 1992 4.3 v 6 mercruiser engine
when the ignition key is in the on position (motor is not running )
the fuel pump runs continuly, fuel pump is always running when key is
in on position is this normal or should it shut off when pressure
builds up, i did replace the fuel filter recently with a car fuel
filter same filter but no compression fitting on auto filter but does
not show any signs of leaking thanks for any imput

The pump should be circulating the fuel. There should be a 'return' pipe
somewhere so that excess fuel that the motor does not require is again
filtered and returned to the tank. This is what happens in my diesel
anyway.

HTH

Molesworth

Gasoline fuel systems don't work that way. At least, not carbureted ones.

You can add an oil pressure activated switch and run your pump
circuit thru it.
Gordon