Skip Gundlach

Default "Trinidad Paint"

The boat we offered on last week has purported copper paint, applied in one
of those countries which hasn't disallowed such a thing.

A post of some time ago referred to CuO paint, which sounds about like the
same thing. Is it?

And, finally, another boat we're considering had the subject paint. Is that
a brand, or representative of what you can have applied there, but not in
the states?

Thanks...

L8R

Skip

Glenn Ashmore

As far as I know, cuprous oxide is still legal though it may soon be
banned. Tributyltin (TBT) is the stuff that has been banned for use on
boats under 85' with the exception of aluminum hulls and stern drives.
The US, Europe and Austrailia ban TBT but it is still sold on South
America, Africa and Asia. Some cruisers still get TBT applied in
Trinidad (the Island).

Pettit makes Trinidad and Trinidad SR. Neither of which contain TBT.
SR is a popular hard copper based bottom paint in warm water.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Woodward

"Skip Gundlach"
.due.to.spam wrote in
message ink.net...

The boat we offered on last week has purported copper paint, applied in

one
of those countries which hasn't disallowed such a thing.

A post of some time ago referred to CuO paint, which sounds about like the
same thing. Is it?

Copper oxide is the active ingredient used in most bottom paint in the USA
and most of the world. Aluminum boats are another story and there are a few
countries that have banned copper. There are other biocides used in some
paint. The problem, of course, is that what we're trying to do is kill
marine life, or at least make it go elsewhere than our bottoms. Until we
develop a satisfactory material which simply prevents adhesion
(boat-bottom-Teflon), this is in conflict with being good to the
environment.

And, finally, another boat we're considering had the subject paint. Is

that
a brand, or representative of what you can have applied there, but not in
the states?

"Trinidad" is a Pettit trade name, available from West Marine, among others.

BTW, bottom paint is a "gotcha" in some countries for voyagers. In New
Zealand, it was one of the prohibited items that would have gone into the
body bag when we checked in -- even if the same brand (with a local
approval) was available down the street. Mistake me not, each country has a
right and duty to protect its environment, including rules such as this --
but it would have been crying time if we had any of the stuff aboard.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..