Glenn Ashmore

Default "Trinidad Paint"

As far as I know, cuprous oxide is still legal though it may soon be
banned. Tributyltin (TBT) is the stuff that has been banned for use on
boats under 85' with the exception of aluminum hulls and stern drives.
The US, Europe and Austrailia ban TBT but it is still sold on South
America, Africa and Asia. Some cruisers still get TBT applied in
Trinidad (the Island).

Pettit makes Trinidad and Trinidad SR. Neither of which contain TBT.
SR is a popular hard copper based bottom paint in warm water.

Skip Gundlach wrote:

The boat we offered on last week has purported copper paint, applied in one
of those countries which hasn't disallowed such a thing.

A post of some time ago referred to CuO paint, which sounds about like the
same thing. Is it?

And, finally, another boat we're considering had the subject paint. Is that
a brand, or representative of what you can have applied there, but not in
the states?

Thanks...

L8R

Skip