posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:59:57 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

the F24 is a possibility for the trips I
have in mind. This thing can sail as fast as a Mac can power, and
actually drafts less.

More correctly stated, it can sail circles around a Mac.

I had a ring side seat for the Corsair 28Rs at Key West Race Week this
year and they were extremely impressive. Here's a link to an
interesting GPS based video of the last race which does a good job of
illustrating their off wind speed:

http://tinyurl.com/34xanw

Very informative. The crew of Dealer's choice is clearly superior with
their upwind work. Must be Capt. Neal at the helm. He lives in Key West,
doesn't he?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:50:36 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

the F24 is a possibility for the trips I
have in mind. This thing can sail as fast as a Mac can power, and
actually drafts less.

More correctly stated, it can sail circles around a Mac.

I had a ring side seat for the Corsair 28Rs at Key West Race Week
this
year and they were extremely impressive. Here's a link to an
interesting GPS based video of the last race which does a good job
of
illustrating their off wind speed:

http://tinyurl.com/34xanw

Very informative. The crew of Dealer's choice is clearly superior with
their upwind work. Must be Capt. Neal at the helm. He lives in Key
West,
doesn't he?

Wilbur Hubbard

Neal... If you are living in Key West, you must be sleeping with the
chickens.

CWM

Didn't you hear? Key West hired a Mexican chicken catcher. No lie! Hey,
do you know why Negroes rarely marry Mexicans? They're afraid their
kids would be too lazy to steal.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:33:30 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Good observations, and I'll keep them in mind. I said "caught"
because I want no part of seas that rough. But I don't count on
weather reports to be 100% accurate, so it could happen.

6 to 8 ft waves are routine conditions offshore on open water.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:07:57 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Very nice. I can watch this one a few times at a time.
Do you what the x/y axes represent? Yards?
How about wind speeds?

The course was Windward/Leeward with legs of about 2 miles, so the
scale could be either yards or meters. Wind was about 10 kts out of
the north east. Dealers Choice was consistently the number one boat
all week long and it's easy to see why when you watch their tactics.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:53:42 +0200, Ed Gordon wrote:

Jeff wrote in
:
So please explain to us which boats it sails faster than. You've said
many times that its a "fast sailer" but when I look at the ratings, I
have trouble finding a boat remotely comparable to a Mac that isn't
10% faster, or more. In fact, its real hard to find a boat that's
slower than a Mac. So please, give us an example of a boat that sails
slower than a Mac.

Any boat that has less length waterline will be slower than a Mac under
sail.

Yeah... I'm sure the Martin 242 (or Hotfoot 20) sailors are shaking in
their boots when they see a Mac26 next to them...

But since the Mac is a plaining hull it can go faster than heavy
ballast keel boats in winds strong enough to plain it off. You want an
example, just look up boats that have less than a 23 feet. Here's one
much slower Alerion Express 20.

I watched a Mac26 and a Catalina 27 sail upwind in about 10-15knots (from
ahead of course, I was in my Catalina 36...). They looked about equal,
although the Mac was heeling unbeleivably at times. Then they tacked...
and it turned out the Mac had so much leeway it was 1/2 mile behind!

Thanks, but I think even a trailerable Cat 22 would beat a Mac26 (and
doesn't capsize for no reason, and will take more than 5 passengers...)

druid - has had 12 on his Cal 25 without it capsizing
http://www.bcboatnet.org

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:05:31 -0500, KLC Lewis wrote:

SPECIAL SAFETY INFORMATION 26M
SPECIAL SAFETY WARNINGS:
Boats, like any other form of transportation, have inherent risks.
Attentions to these warnings and instructions should help keep these risks
to a minimum.

THE WATER BALLAST TANK SHOULD BE FULL WHEN EITHER POWERING OR SAILING.

IF THE BALLAST TANK IS NOT COMPLETELY FULL, THE BOAT IS NOT SELF
RIGHTING. (IF YOU CHOOSE TO OPERATE THE BOAT WITH AN EMPTY TANK, SEE THE
SECTION ON OPERATING THE BOAT WITHOUT WATER BALLAST.)

WHEN THE BALLAST TANK IS FULL:
- NO MORE THAN 6 PERSONS, 960 POUNDS.

WHEN THE BALLAST TANK IS EMPTY:
- NO MORE THAN 4 PERSON, OR 640 POUNDS.
- CREW WEIGHT CENTERED FROM SIDE TO SIDE.
- ALL SAILS REMOVED, ENGINE POWER ONLY.
- NO ONE ON THE CABIN TOP OR FORDECK.
- WAVES LESS THAN 1 FOOT.
-OPERATE WHERE WATER IS WARM AND
RESCUE IS LIKELY.
- NEVER OPERATE THE BOAT WITH A PARTIALLY
FILLED TANK.

WHEN POWERING OVER 6 MILES PER HOUR:
- RUDDERS AND DAGGERBOARD FULL UP.
- SAILS REMOVED.
- NO ONE ON THE CABIN TOP OR FOREDECK.

OK, so the Mac is supposed to also be a (planing, presumably) powerboat.
But I have yet to see ANY trailerable powerboat over 20 ft with these kind
of safety restrictions. Hell, even a BAYLINER you can ride on the
foredeck, have more than 6 people on board, or operate in waves greater
than 1 foot...

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:58:58 +0200, Ed Gordon wrote:

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

So when the wind pipes up to force 6 or 7 and the mast starts pumping
and flexing that cabintop and you're 2000 miles from anywhere... "Oh
God, thy sea is so big and my boat is so small, and why didn't you
bless me with two broken legs on the day before I was to set off on
this voyage?"

On a Mac you can take the mast down for less windage. It makes the
stability better, too. You can motor along and keep up with the waves so
they don't break over you.

You've never been IN force 6 or 7, have you?

In conditions like that, you're gonna go forward and TAKE THE MAST DOWN?
'Course, you could just put up the main and wait for the wind to do the
job for you...

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Mac26X spotted

last week while sailing in 10-15kt on a beam reach, doing
5-6.5 kts, I see a sail boat with no sails , motoring
through the waves. ''it'' passed me, a Mac26x. God what an
UGLY boat!

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
last week while sailing in 10-15kt on a beam reach, doing
5-6.5 kts, I see a sail boat with no sails , motoring
through the waves. ''it'' passed me, a Mac26x. God what an
UGLY boat!

Scotty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Greg

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Gregory Hall" wrote in message

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
last week while sailing in 10-15kt on a beam reach, doing
5-6.5 kts, I see a sail boat with no sails , motoring
through the waves. ''it'' passed me, a Mac26x. God what an
UGLY boat!

Scotty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Greg

Beauty is skin deep. Ugly goes all the way to the bone.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com