TwoGuns

Default Weapons on board outside of USA waters. . . what to do?

I have never been out of the U.S. coastal waters on a boat yet. Several

of my friends and I are planning an extensive world cruise in two
years. All of us have had extensive training in the use of firearms of
all types and we all enjoy shooting sports as a hobby. We all like
trapshooting so we will have at least 6 shotguns plus a few thousand
rounds. Add in personal weapons and there will be an extensive arsenal
on board. I know some countries absolutely prohibit personal firearms
so we will have to take precautions in certain waters. Mexico is one of

the most prohibitive I understand. Since we don't want to have an
international incident what procedures are best in a situation like
this? I have suggested we build a couple of watertight capsules for the

weapons and ammunition. With GPS and the appropriate eqipment we could
drop them overboard when entering restricted areas and then retrieve
them later. Are there any better but legal options that could be
followed?
TIA,
Dennis

I have suggested we build a couple of watertight capsules for the

weapons and ammunition. With GPS and the appropriate eqipment we could
drop them overboard when entering restricted areas and then retrieve
them later. Are there any better but legal options that could be
followed?
TIA,
Dennis

*********

Just out of curiosity, what good would any of those weapons do while
dropped overboard in a watertight capsule?

Consider that if you are *observed* dumping the capsule and the local
constabulary hauls it up to find a cache of weapons, it could look
really bad. There are a number of countries where you will just simply
disappear into jail for the rest of your abbreviated life.

Better but legal options probably include obeying the firearms laws of
the countries you visit. In some cases that will involve turning your
weapons, or at least some of them, over to the police when you clear
customs. You may need to be prepared to pay a bribe to some official
who otherwise will discover your paperwork has been "misfiled" when you
eventually leave the jurisdiction and want to reclaim your arsenal. You
just may be in greater danger from local governments where you might
choose to flaunt the firearms laws than you would be in from the
remotely possible presence of any murderous pirates your weapons might
successfully repel.

NOYB

The only way to legally import firearms and ammunition into Mexico is to
secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C. or
from a Mexican Consulate in the United States. Mariners who have obtained a
Mexican firearm permit should contact Mexican port officials before
attempting to enter Mexican waters, to learn about specific procedures to
report and secure weapons and ammunition.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1756.html

TwoGuns

Consider that if you are *observed* dumping the capsule and the local
constabulary hauls it up to find a cache of weapons,
The idea was to dump the capsule before entering any waters of a nation
with firearm restrictions. The primary purpose of carrying the weapons
was for recreation anyway not defensive purposes. I think we will
probably just say the heck with it and leave all the firearms at home
and stick to taking archery equipment and slingshots. When I was a kid
I was pretty deadly with a sling after breaking maybe six or seven
hundred windows while practicing LOL. Next step I guess. . . find a
ship with bulletproof windows.
Dennis