Default Fuel carrying

Most new sailboat today carry about 20 USGals of diesel fuel on board. Some
even have a 40 - 50 gals tanks on board. The boat I planning on having has
a three cylinders engine and only a 20 gals tank. At time, when a storm or
hurricane is behind you may have to make a mad dash in light wind condition
to reach a safe heaven. Then 20 gals of fuel may not be enough to reach the
safe heaven. What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

The best way is find a place on the boat to install a secondary fuel
tank. That said, many cruisers carry jerry jugs on deck, sometimes
near the stern, sometimes lashed to a board between lifeline
stanchions.

My advice? Buy a boat with more fuel capacity. 20 gallons is totally
inadequate for extended cruising.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

The best way is find a place on the boat to install a secondary fuel
tank. That said, many cruisers carry jerry jugs on deck, sometimes
near the stern, sometimes lashed to a board between lifeline
stanchions.

My advice? Buy a boat with more fuel capacity. 20 gallons is totally
inadequate for extended cruising.

Good advise, but I am stuck with 20 gallons tank.
I'll look into a secondary tank.

wrote in message

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

The best way is find a place on the boat to install a secondary fuel
tank. That said, many cruisers carry jerry jugs on deck, sometimes
near the stern, sometimes lashed to a board between lifeline
stanchions.

My advice? Buy a boat with more fuel capacity. 20 gallons is totally
inadequate for extended cruising.

Good advise, but I am stuck with 20 gallons tank.
I'll look into a secondary tank.

One thing to remember is that if you cannot reach a safe harbor before wind
and seas become "challenging," your better decision will probably be to GAIN
searoom, not reduce it.

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:24:31 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

What is the max fuel consumption rate of that 3 cyl engine, about 1.5
quarts/hour maybe?

A 20 gal tank would provide over 50 hours of operation ((20*4)/1.5 = 53+).

A small 3 cyl diesel will typically burn around 3 qts/hr (.75 gal).
Range is only part of the issue. Most cruisers run the engine 2 or 3
hours per day for battery charging, hot water, etc.

http://www.worldwidewiley.com/2boat.shtml

Look at the "Jerry Cans" article. I don't particularly endorse
carrying fuel on deck, but lots of folks do it. Several companies
also make flexible tanks rated for fuel, I believe. I have a length
of pvc pipe threaded to match the cap on my fuel filler deck fitting.
Remove the cap, thread in the pipe, then pour in the fuel from the
jerrycan at a comfortable height without spilling. Also, spray or
solid water that comes on deck at the wrong time won't find its way
into the tank.

Wiley

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

Most new sailboat today carry about 20 USGals of diesel fuel on board. Some
even have a 40 - 50 gals tanks on board. The boat I planning on having has
a three cylinders engine and only a 20 gals tank. At time, when a storm or
hurricane is behind you may have to make a mad dash in light wind condition
to reach a safe heaven. Then 20 gals of fuel may not be enough to reach the
safe heaven. What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

You can figure .054 to .06 gallons per horsepower hour depending on things
like how much electric power is being drawn and the effeciency of the
specific engine. Those of us living the simple life seldom run our engines
except to move the boat.

--
Roger Long

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

The best way is find a place on the boat to install a secondary fuel
tank. That said, many cruisers carry jerry jugs on deck, sometimes
near the stern, sometimes lashed to a board between lifeline
stanchions.

My advice? Buy a boat with more fuel capacity. 20 gallons is totally
inadequate for extended cruising.

Jerry cans have their pluses and minus. Having gotten stranded with a
clogged fuel pick up line ONCE I now carry some extra fuel in a jerry
can along with some hose. The idea being that if something happens to
my primary fuel supply I'll have enough for maneuvering into harbour if
nothing else.

Also, where I sail jerry cans are mandatory as there is infrequently
dockside fuel so you have to hitch a ride to a station and fill up.

If I must have jerry cans then why not full cans?

But I would be interested in others opinions.

Howard

Wayne.B wrote:

A small 3 cyl diesel will typically burn around 3 qts/hr (.75 gal).
Range is only part of the issue. Most cruisers run the engine 2 or 3
hours per day for battery charging, hot water, etc.

OK, use your numbers.

Assume only 10 gal in the tank and 3 qts/hr consumption.

(10*4)/3 = 13+ hours.

If you haven't found safe haven in 13 hours, you are probably in deep
doodoo.

Ran a 30ft sloop with a one lunger and a 10 gal tank for years.

Out on a 2,500 mile cruise, it was a big deal if I bought 6-7 gallons
at once.

That's why those boats have rags, so you DON'T have to listen or smell
the damned engine when you want to go someplace.

Lew