HPEER HPEER is offline

Default Fuel carrying

Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:42:36 -0300, wrote:

What would be the best way to carry extra fuel?

The best way is find a place on the boat to install a secondary fuel
tank. That said, many cruisers carry jerry jugs on deck, sometimes
near the stern, sometimes lashed to a board between lifeline
stanchions.

My advice? Buy a boat with more fuel capacity. 20 gallons is totally
inadequate for extended cruising.

Jerry cans have their pluses and minus. Having gotten stranded with a
clogged fuel pick up line ONCE I now carry some extra fuel in a jerry
can along with some hose. The idea being that if something happens to
my primary fuel supply I'll have enough for maneuvering into harbour if
nothing else.

Also, where I sail jerry cans are mandatory as there is infrequently
dockside fuel so you have to hitch a ride to a station and fill up.

If I must have jerry cans then why not full cans?

But I would be interested in others opinions.

Howard