BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/81197-tool-box-board-what-goes-box.html)

KLC Lewis June 3rd 07 01:18 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"David Scheidt" wrote in message
Charlie Morgan wrote:
:On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:38:36 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt

:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
::On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt

::wrote:
:
::Charlie Morgan wrote:
::
:::Well, that's your problem in a nutshell. Stop thinking of what it
can't do, and
:::try concentrating on what it CAN do. Before the introduction of WD40,
master
:::mechanics found kerosene to be very handy around the shop for a
variety of
:::tasks. WD40 is very similar to kerosene in it's abilities.
::
::WD40 is kerosene. It just comes in handy spray can. It's mediocre,
::at best, at everything people use it for.
:
::Well, you started out wrong, and that's where you stayed. There is ZERO
kerosene
::in WD40.
:
:Don't let the facts bother you. Its MSDS says WD40 is a 50% mixture of
:CAS 64742-47-8 (commonly called "Deodorized kerosene"), CAS 64742-48-9
:(mineral spirits), CAS 64742-88-7 ("Straight run kerosene"); 15-25%
:CAS 64742-65-0 (dewaxed heavy paraffinic solvent); and an additional
:12-18% of CAS 6742-47-8, the aforementioned deodorized kerosene.
:Sounds like kerosene to me. That's a change from the last time I
:looked at the MSDS (several years ago), when it was roughly 70%
:stoddard solvent, which is an aliphatic mineral spirit with a boiling
:point range entirely contained by kerosene's.
:
:David

:So, show us the word kerosene on that legally vetted document. I can say
that
:milk is kerosene, but that doesn't make it so.

Are you incapable of reading for comprehension? The MSDS says it's
got kerosene in it. It calls it out by CAS number, because that's
what MSDSes do. There are lots of different types of kerosene, WD40
has at least two different types.

FWIW, the official WD40 website insists that it does NOT contain kerosene.
However, they may be playing word games.

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:25 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

If it's not rocket science, you will of course be able to show me an MSDS for
WD40 with the word kerosene on it?

Thanks!

CWM

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. I
can answer it in two parts. The easy
part is that if you look he

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf
msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf

you will find the kerosene ingredient
identified as CAS 64742-47-8, per my

The more difficult part (that I don't
pretend to understand) is that the
aerosol WD40 has ingredients very
different from those in the bulk WD40.
There is no CAS 64742-47-8 listed in the
aerosol MSDS! Maybe that's one source of
confusion.

So which is the real WD40? The legendary
stuff?

ps. Not that anybody but you gives a rat's ass anyway.

Well, there's you and David and me at
least. ;-)

Chuck

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:27 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Of course they are... and nobody other than a few pedantic idiots such as David
cares one whit.

Hey, I care!

Maybe the website is referring to the
aerosol?

Chuck

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:47 AM

KLC Lewis wrote:

FWIW, the official WD40 website insists that it does NOT contain kerosene.
However, they may be playing word games.

Amazing. They show photos of both bulk
and aerosol product. The signature date
on the bulk MSDS is 2007 so it can't be
that they've changed their formula.

I've emailed them requesting an
explanation and will post their reply if
and when it arrives.

Chuck

Brian Whatcott June 3rd 07 04:36 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:05:26 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Boeshield T-9 spray seems to work well.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Jonathan Ganz June 3rd 07 06:05 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

In article ,
Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:05:26 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
roups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Boeshield T-9 spray seems to work well.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

That's what I use.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Jere Lull June 18th 07 08:19 AM

On 2007-06-01 05:49:44 -0400, Keith said:

Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

We just got some PB Blaster and the couple of jobs I've used it for
make me a bit of a believer.

WD-40 is fine for displacing water (WD=water displacing), but not much else.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Jere Lull June 18th 07 09:01 AM

On 2007-06-01 07:51:56 -0400, Larry said:

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:zjL7i.9938$eO5.8292
@trndny08:

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Which tool box? There's the plumbing tool box, the sailmaker's tool box,
the electrical/electronics tool box, the carpenter's tool box, the diesel
tool box, and one that appeared left by someone who once was hired to
work on the boat but we can't find him and his tools are too good to toss
tool box.

That's my answer as well.

Our first-line box, the little red one that came with the Yanmar is in
the drawer next to the companionway, and can handle most quick jobs.
Contains a 6-in-1 screwdriver/nutdriver, adjustable crescent, channel
locks, wood chisel, allen wrench set, linesman pliers, the various
open-ended wrenches Yanmar gave us, and a rigging knife. I just added
an adjustable "socket wrench", but I'm not sure it's going to stay. The
"auto-adjust" pliers went home the first time I tried to use them for
real: Too little power.

We have two other tool boxes and three "junk" boxes segregated by
general duty, one of which is everything electrical. In a pinch, I
believe I have the tools to repair/replace just anything on our simple
boat. A couple of weekends ago, a rudder pintle broke. Not only did I
have three ways to jury-rig a fix, but when we got a replacement set
from the sailor's candy-store, Fawcetts in Annapolis, (I had the
replacements in hand within 30 seconds of walking in the door!) I had
the tools and parts to hand to properly mount them.

In general, I chose tools that had multiple uses and were compact,
though some aren't the "perfect" one as I don't, for instance, have a
set of socket wrenches. They got removed when I didn't use them for 3
seasons.

One of my more-used tools is a 12v B&D drill. I need to find the
adapter that allows it to run off of the "cigarette lighter", but even
on the battery pack, it's had more than enough strength to do
everything but buff the hull. Our drill bits are advanced-tech
(blue-something) and go through stainless like butter. Half inch holes
in aluminum are child's play to that drill.

Odd tool that may not be obvious: A "car" vacuum. Almost got a 12v
wet-and-dry vac, but a sponge and 5 gallon pail works well enough for
us for the wet work. Being able to suck up sanding or drilling "dust"
is a nice luxury.

Larry June 18th 07 12:52 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Jere Lull wrote in news:200706180401538930-
jerelull@maccom:

We have two other tool boxes and three "junk" boxes segregated by
general duty, one of which is everything electrical.

I think Lionheart can pull up on a sand bar in the middle of nowhere and
do a complete refit...(c; Under those seats is a vast array of boxes
marked:
Sail
Plumbing
A/C
Electrical
Electronics (mine)
Hull
One whole compartment full of ENGINE parts
half a compartment full of cables/wire
All stores for the refit.

I don't think we have a spare rudder. We have all the parts to overhaul
the bearings, though. There's 6 boxes full of rusty tools. I asked him
where he was going to install the wood lathe....(c;

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

Jere Lull June 19th 07 04:44 AM

On 2007-06-18 07:52:09 -0400, Larry said:

I think Lionheart can pull up on a sand bar in the middle of nowhere
and do a complete refit...(c;

We're not quite there -- yet -- but getting close, I think. I can't
remember the last time I didn't have a needed tool onboard.

I don't think we have a spare rudder.

We do ;-) it's the pull-out shelf for the setee. Its rail would be the
emergency tiller.