BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/81197-tool-box-board-what-goes-box.html)

NE Sailboat June 1st 07 03:15 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

KLC Lewis June 1st 07 03:43 AM

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

I would start by looking at my boat's systems and determining what it would
require to work on them.

Joe June 1st 07 05:13 AM

On May 31, 9:15 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Which one?

Mechanical, electrical, plumbing, or deck tool box?

Joe

Capt. JG June 1st 07 05:32 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

I would start by looking at my boat's systems and determining what it
would require to work on them.

Definitely a good idea. The basic sort of things are, of course, well...
basic. I carry a ClampTite tool used for making impromptu hose clams.
Vice-grips are good to have, as well as an assortment of small screwdrivers.
I carry a wire crimp tool, and hand-twist wire caps of various sizes. I also
carry some tape called Rescue Tape. It's self-bonding, permanent, and water
proof. Found that and the ClampTite at the Strictly Sail show in Oakland.
Some things are specialized, which are determined by the boat systems.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] June 1st 07 06:48 AM

On May 31, 4:15 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

How far from civilization are you heading? What kind of systems does
your boat have? How long have you had the boat? I ask the last
because I've found that tools tend to accumulate on boats as the years
go by and the problem becomes which ones to remove rather than which
to add.

On my boat I don't carry a box as such since I have a work bench and
have four cupboards and two drawers dedicated to tools... I've got
another three bins just for spare parts... But when day sailing on a
dingy I don't take any tools and a Leatherman Wave (tm) and some tape
is all you need for a weekend on the typical keeler... Add some rags
and some decent marine grease a hacksaw and hammer a large screw
driver and a couple of wrenches for basic mechanical stuff. A bit of
sail tape, some whipping thread and a couple of sail needles for
whipping and sewing wayward cleats and such back on your sails takes
care of the basic boat specific stuff. A soldering iron some
electrical solder a crimping tool and collection of crimps and some
assorted wire will do the electrical.

-- Tom.

Keith June 1st 07 10:49 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

June 1st 07 11:17 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Several years ago I made a list of tools and spares to be carried on board.
The list is old, 4 pages long and not completed. The format used is Word
doc. It needs to be reviewed and updated.
If someone wants a copy let me know. In return I would appreciate any
feedback to improve the list.

ups.com...

Chuck June 1st 07 12:21 PM

NE Sailboat wrote:
I was taking a look at my tool box today and trying to decide what to take
on board.

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Statistics show that 93% of all pleasure
boat repairs arise from connections,
hoses, pipes, wires, etc. I made that
number up of course, but if you've
cruised much, it may ring true for you.

In addition to tools to deal with the
above, the next category is tools to
deal with routine maintenance: filters,
lubricants, etc.

The final category might be tools for
repairs to canvas, boat hull, teak,
rigging, etc. Gets much tougher.

But the Zen enters when grappling with
whether to pack tools needed for major
repairs. If carrying spare parts for the
engine, tools to install them would be
appropriate.

I always thought the more difficult
question was what spares to pack.

Chuck

Larry June 1st 07 12:51 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:zjL7i.9938$eO5.8292
@trndny08:

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Which tool box? There's the plumbing tool box, the sailmaker's tool box,
the electrical/electronics tool box, the carpenter's tool box, the diesel
tool box, and one that appeared left by someone who once was hired to
work on the boat but we can't find him and his tools are too good to toss
tool box.

Contents vary, of course. The electrical tool box doesn't have any sail
cloth or needles in it. Trying to carry it all in one tool box would be
absurd. The box would be too big to stuff into the crannies and too hard
to find that one hooked needle you need buried in the pipe wrenches and
electrical wiring tools. It's much better to use small tool boxes that
stow much easier in available space and are much easier to handle in the
confined spaces. Besides, I don't want ANY of his wrenches he's used on
the head anywhere NEAR my digital multimeters! PU!

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

Larry June 1st 07 12:59 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

" wrote in
oups.com:

I ask the last
because I've found that tools tend to accumulate on boats as the years
go by and the problem becomes which ones to remove rather than which
to add.

Hee hee....Cap'n Geoffrey loves his tools. There's a little mark near
the waterline on both sides of the hull. When the water comes up to the
mark, we all meet to decide which "stuff", including heavy tools, are to
be jettisoned to the dock box (or Geoffrey's stuffed pickup truck which
SHOULD have a similar water mark but doesn't). We usually pry them out
of his grip to get them overboard and make the boat regain some speed. I
told him he needs a towed barge for the "ship shop" we can send on ahead
to the next port-of-call.

"Why do we need wood lathe tools on a sailboat with no lathe?", I query.
You can see his eyebrows perk up trying to decide where the lathe will be
stowed and how to use it in the center cockpit...(c; Maybe we'll get
lucky and he'll just buy a little one...this time.

Larry
--
Lucky for me electronics tools are small and don't weigh much, usually
exempting them from the decisions...(c;

NE Sailboat June 1st 07 02:16 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

You know Larry { who hates old people and will end up in a nursing home
****ting in his pants }

You make a good point. Rather than one tool box, I will carry three small
ones for different issues.

Electrical ,, Plumbing ,, general ,,

ps: boat just came in the other day. thing is bigger than the Titanic.
Captain is 86.

His wife is 17!

==================

Capt. JG June 1st 07 04:05 PM

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Chuck June 1st 07 05:17 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

There are several things it should not
be used on, like bearings, or anything
that maintains a greased lubrication.

Sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil are far better lubricants for moving
parts.

Like all multi-purpose, multi-function
products, it may not do anything better
than single-purpose products.

Chuck

tlindly June 1st 07 05:24 PM

On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
Several years ago I made a list of tools and spares to be carried on board.
The list is old, 4 pages long and not completed. The format used is Word
doc. It needs to be reviewed and updated.
If someone wants a copy let me know. In return I would appreciate any
feedback to improve the list.

Paste it in! 4 pages ain't gonna fill up the web...

KLC Lewis June 1st 07 05:29 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:17:08 -0400, Chuck
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

There are several things it should not
be used on, like bearings, or anything
that maintains a greased lubrication.

Sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil are far better lubricants for moving
parts.

Like all multi-purpose, multi-function
products, it may not do anything better
than single-purpose products.

Chuck

I don't think I said anything that disagrees with that, Chuck. Sewing
machine oil is a poor choice if you use it for the wrong applications,
too. WD-40 has plenty of applications where it is a better choice than
sewing machine oil or electric motor oil. In fact, the WD40 company
realizes this, and also markets sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil under it's 3-IN-ONE brand.

CWM

Personally, and readily admitting to be a dilettante on the subject, I use
dry lubricants (McLube) on most exposed-to-weather surfaces that want
lubrication, rarely using WD-40 although I seem to always have several cans
on hand. I can't think of any application where I use light oil -- mostly
it's dry lube or one grease or another, depending upon the device.

Chuck June 1st 07 06:16 PM

wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

I don't think I said anything that disagrees with that, Chuck. Sewing
machine oil is a poor choice if you use it for the wrong applications,
too.

Agreed. I was addressing the perception
that WD-40 is a wonder product good for
just about anything. Some folks even rub
in on their hands presumably to
alleviate arthritis. Not recommended.

WD-40 has plenty of applications where
it is a better choice than
sewing machine oil or electric motor oil. In fact, the WD40 company
realizes this, and also markets sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil under it's 3-IN-ONE brand.

Not sure I understand the second
sentence, but the 3-in-one Household Oil
found everywhere is NOT very good when
used as a sewing machine oil or an
electric motor oil.

There is a 3-in-one Electric Motor Oil
that is fine.

AFIK, there is no sewing machine oil
marketed under the 3-in-one brand.

Chuck

Larry June 1st 07 07:57 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

June 1st 07 08:21 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"tlindly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
Several years ago I made a list of tools and spares to be carried on
board.
The list is old, 4 pages long and not completed. The format used is Word
doc. It needs to be reviewed and updated.
If someone wants a copy let me know. In return I would appreciate any
feedback to improve the list.

Paste it in! 4 pages ain't gonna fill up the web..

Here is the pasted list. It may not have copied in its entirety?

Tools and Spare Parts

Description
Size
Quantity
Location

Allen Wrenches

Chisels (cold)

Cordless Drill

Set of drill bits

File:

******* 8"

Rattail

Triangular

Hammer

ballpeen

Mallet

Measuring:

Tape

Caliper

Venier

Oil Stone

Pliers:

Groove joint

Long Nose

Bent Nose

Lineman

Diagonal Cutter

Slip Joint

Vise Grip

Mirror (retrieving)

Putty Knifes

Bolt Cutter

Pipe Cutter

Hacksaw

Blade

Screwdrivers:

Flat

Jewellers set

Robertson

Phillip

Tin snips

Torch kit

Tap and Die Set

8-32

10-24

10-32

1/4-20

5/16-24

3/8-16

3/8-24

Utility Knives

Vise

Clamps

Wire Bushes

Wrenches:

Adjustable

Pipe

Open set

Strap

Work gloves

Glue:

Two parts Epoxy

Glooze it

Sealers:

Silicone

Lubricants

W40

Silicone Spray

Grease

Electrical

Running light bulbs

Spare bulbs for lights

Fuses

Wire crimps

Wire stripper crimpers

Assorted size of wire

Flashlight batterier

Flashlight bulbs

Electrical tape

Silicone grease

Multimeter

Solder/Paste

Soldering iron

Sail Repair Kit

Scissor

Sailmaker's wax

Palm

Seam rippers

Hot knive and tips

Light thread

Spool waxed Polyester

Needle #13,15,17 & 19

Repair Tape

Stickback Dacron

Weights seizing wire

D or O rings

Tubular webbing

Sailmaker plier

Weight Sailcloth

Dacron/Terylene

Awls

Grommet Set/Mallet

Rigging

Nicro press tool

Nicro press sleeves

SS thimbles

Snap shackles

Weight wire

Rigging toggles

Clevis pins

Track cars

Plate Set

Main Halyar

Genoa Halyard

Turnbuckles

Engine and Mechanical

Transmission fluid

Engine oil

Filters

Voltage regulator

Engine belt

Hose clamps

Water pump Impeller

Packing (flax)

Spares

Cotter pins

SS nuts and bolts

Head repair kit

Galley pump repair kit

Winch Parts

Pawls

Pawl spring

Roller bearing

Split rings

Toothbrush

Dental pick

Extra Handle

June 1st 07 08:31 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

wrote in message

"tlindly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
[...]

The pasted list did come out good.
Still if someone wants a proper tabled copy let me know.

cavelamb himself June 1st 07 11:34 PM

Larry wrote:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry

Coward!

It's a dangerous job, but somebody has to do it...

Larry June 1st 07 11:46 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

cavelamb himself wrote in news:aa18i.15809
:

Coward!

It's a dangerous job, but somebody has to do it...

What if she gets pregnant and the baby does NOT look like a Columbian Drug
Lord?? What then? Suicide??...(c;

Larry

Bruce June 2nd 07 12:26 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:17:37 -0400, Charlie Morgan
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 08:05:26 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
roups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

CWM

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant. I've got some router cutters stored in a "tupper ware"
container. To prevent rust I sprayed them liberally with WD-40. Some
six months later I opened the container and not a sign of oil.
However, the cutters were covered with a brown sticky coating and
hadn't rusted :-)

WD-40 seems to work best as a penetrating oil to free up stuck stuff.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Bruce June 2nd 07 12:27 AM

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 18:57:43 +0000, Larry wrote:

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry

One thing you do have to admit. He is certainly an optimist.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Vic Smith June 2nd 07 03:06 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:26:05 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant. I've got some router cutters stored in a "tupper ware"
container. To prevent rust I sprayed them liberally with WD-40. Some
six months later I opened the container and not a sign of oil.
However, the cutters were covered with a brown sticky coating and
hadn't rusted :-)

WD-40 seems to work best as a penetrating oil to free up stuck stuff.

It's pretty useless in my experience. Doesn't do anything well.
The Mac26M of "oil"?
I would keep and use a small pump can of 10-40W engine oil and a rag
to wipe off excess as an "all-purpose oil" instead of WD40.
People use WD40 because it sprays out of a can and they can easily
keep their hands clean. That the only reason I know of at least.
Not too hard to get and store the proper lubricant for each
application.

--Vic

Larry June 2nd 07 05:56 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Bruce wrote in
:

One thing you do have to admit. He is certainly an optimist.

There's another reason not to sail with him! I don't want to sail with
someone with impossible goals, which may cause him to sail into that storm
and kill everyone aboard....

Larry
--
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Bruce June 2nd 07 10:40 AM

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:04:14 -0400, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 06:26:05 +0700, Bruce wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

CWM

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is not a long term
lubricant.

Did you bother to read what I wrote before replying?

CWM

Sure did and just for you I'll rephrase my starement:

It might be "light weight oil" but it certainly is a lousy lubricant.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

David Scheidt June 2nd 07 05:51 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

:Well, that's your problem in a nutshell. Stop thinking of what it can't do, and
:try concentrating on what it CAN do. Before the introduction of WD40, master
:mechanics found kerosene to be very handy around the shop for a variety of
:tasks. WD40 is very similar to kerosene in it's abilities.

WD40 is kerosene. It just comes in handy spray can. It's mediocre,
at best, at everything people use it for.

David Scheidt June 3rd 07 12:38 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:
:On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
:
::Well, that's your problem in a nutshell. Stop thinking of what it can't do, and
::try concentrating on what it CAN do. Before the introduction of WD40, master
::mechanics found kerosene to be very handy around the shop for a variety of
::tasks. WD40 is very similar to kerosene in it's abilities.
:
:WD40 is kerosene. It just comes in handy spray can. It's mediocre,
:at best, at everything people use it for.

:Well, you started out wrong, and that's where you stayed. There is ZERO kerosene
:in WD40.

Don't let the facts bother you. Its MSDS says WD40 is a 50% mixture of
CAS 64742-47-8 (commonly called "Deodorized kerosene"), CAS 64742-48-9
(mineral spirits), CAS 64742-88-7 ("Straight run kerosene"); 15-25%
CAS 64742-65-0 (dewaxed heavy paraffinic solvent); and an additional
12-18% of CAS 6742-47-8, the aforementioned deodorized kerosene.
Sounds like kerosene to me. That's a change from the last time I
looked at the MSDS (several years ago), when it was roughly 70%
stoddard solvent, which is an aliphatic mineral spirit with a boiling
point range entirely contained by kerosene's.

David

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:04 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

So, show us the word kerosene on that legally vetted document. I can say that
milk is kerosene, but that doesn't make it so.

Ok, but this is not rocket science.

Go to Google and enter "CAS 64742-47-8".
The first hit I get is the Center for
Disease Control site, who call it "Low
odor paraffinic solvent Dearomatized
kerosine Deodorized kerosine. Doesn't
say anything about milk.

Chuck

You can go there directly:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
ICSC:NENG1379 International Chemical
Safety Cards (WHO/IPCS/ILO) | CDC/NIOSH

David Scheidt June 3rd 07 01:17 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:
:On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:38:36 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
::On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
::wrote:
:
::Charlie Morgan wrote:
::
[...]

Are you incapable of reading for comprehension? The MSDS says it's
got kerosene in it. It calls it out by CAS number, because that's
what MSDSes do. There are lots of different types of kerosene, WD40
has at least two different types.

KLC Lewis June 3rd 07 01:18 AM

:wrote:

:Charlie Morgan wrote:
::On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 16:51:37 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt

::wrote:
:
::Charlie Morgan wrote:
::
[...]

FWIW, the official WD40 website insists that it does NOT contain kerosene.
However, they may be playing word games.

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:25 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

If it's not rocket science, you will of course be able to show me an MSDS for
WD40 with the word kerosene on it?

Thanks!

CWM

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. I
can answer it in two parts. The easy
part is that if you look he

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf
msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf

you will find the kerosene ingredient
identified as CAS 64742-47-8, per my

The more difficult part (that I don't
pretend to understand) is that the
aerosol WD40 has ingredients very
different from those in the bulk WD40.
There is no CAS 64742-47-8 listed in the
aerosol MSDS! Maybe that's one source of
confusion.

So which is the real WD40? The legendary
stuff?

ps. Not that anybody but you gives a rat's ass anyway.

Well, there's you and David and me at
least. ;-)

Chuck

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:27 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Of course they are... and nobody other than a few pedantic idiots such as David
cares one whit.

Hey, I care!

Maybe the website is referring to the
aerosol?

Chuck

Chuck June 3rd 07 01:47 AM

KLC Lewis wrote:

FWIW, the official WD40 website insists that it does NOT contain kerosene.
However, they may be playing word games.

Amazing. They show photos of both bulk
and aerosol product. The signature date
on the bulk MSDS is 2007 so it can't be
that they've changed their formula.

I've emailed them requesting an
explanation and will post their reply if
and when it arrives.

Chuck

Brian Whatcott June 3rd 07 04:36 AM

wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Boeshield T-9 spray seems to work well.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Jonathan Ganz June 3rd 07 06:05 AM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

wrote:

"Keith" wrote in message
roups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

Boeshield T-9 spray seems to work well.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

That's what I use.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Jere Lull June 18th 07 08:19 AM

On 2007-06-01 05:49:44 -0400, Keith said:

Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

We just got some PB Blaster and the couple of jobs I've used it for
make me a bit of a believer.

WD-40 is fine for displacing water (WD=water displacing), but not much else.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

Jere Lull June 18th 07 09:01 AM

On 2007-06-01 07:51:56 -0400, Larry said:

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:zjL7i.9938$eO5.8292
@trndny08:

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Which tool box? There's the plumbing tool box, the sailmaker's tool box,
the electrical/electronics tool box, the carpenter's tool box, the diesel
tool box, and one that appeared left by someone who once was hired to
work on the boat but we can't find him and his tools are too good to toss
tool box.

That's my answer as well.

Our first-line box, the little red one that came with the Yanmar is in
the drawer next to the companionway, and can handle most quick jobs.
Contains a 6-in-1 screwdriver/nutdriver, adjustable crescent, channel
locks, wood chisel, allen wrench set, linesman pliers, the various
open-ended wrenches Yanmar gave us, and a rigging knife. I just added
an adjustable "socket wrench", but I'm not sure it's going to stay. The
"auto-adjust" pliers went home the first time I tried to use them for
real: Too little power.

We have two other tool boxes and three "junk" boxes segregated by
general duty, one of which is everything electrical. In a pinch, I
believe I have the tools to repair/replace just anything on our simple
boat. A couple of weekends ago, a rudder pintle broke. Not only did I
have three ways to jury-rig a fix, but when we got a replacement set
from the sailor's candy-store, Fawcetts in Annapolis, (I had the
replacements in hand within 30 seconds of walking in the door!) I had
the tools and parts to hand to properly mount them.

In general, I chose tools that had multiple uses and were compact,
though some aren't the "perfect" one as I don't, for instance, have a
set of socket wrenches. They got removed when I didn't use them for 3
seasons.

One of my more-used tools is a 12v B&D drill. I need to find the
adapter that allows it to run off of the "cigarette lighter", but even
on the battery pack, it's had more than enough strength to do
everything but buff the hull. Our drill bits are advanced-tech
(blue-something) and go through stainless like butter. Half inch holes
in aluminum are child's play to that drill.

Odd tool that may not be obvious: A "car" vacuum. Almost got a 12v
wet-and-dry vac, but a sponge and 5 gallon pail works well enough for
us for the wet work. Being able to suck up sanding or drilling "dust"
is a nice luxury.

Larry June 18th 07 12:52 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Jere Lull wrote in news:200706180401538930-
jerelull@maccom:

We have two other tool boxes and three "junk" boxes segregated by
general duty, one of which is everything electrical.

I think Lionheart can pull up on a sand bar in the middle of nowhere and
do a complete refit...(c; Under those seats is a vast array of boxes
marked:
Sail
Plumbing
A/C
Electrical
Electronics (mine)
Hull
One whole compartment full of ENGINE parts
half a compartment full of cables/wire
All stores for the refit.

I don't think we have a spare rudder. We have all the parts to overhaul
the bearings, though. There's 6 boxes full of rusty tools. I asked him
where he was going to install the wood lathe....(c;

Larry
--
http://www.spp.gov/
The end of the USA and its Constitution....RIP

Jere Lull June 19th 07 04:44 AM

On 2007-06-18 07:52:09 -0400, Larry said:

I think Lionheart can pull up on a sand bar in the middle of nowhere
and do a complete refit...(c;

We're not quite there -- yet -- but getting close, I think. I can't
remember the last time I didn't have a needed tool onboard.

I don't think we have a spare rudder.

We do ;-) it's the pull-out shelf for the setee. Its rail would be the
emergency tiller.