BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/81197-tool-box-board-what-goes-box.html)

NE Sailboat June 1st 07 02:16 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

You know Larry { who hates old people and will end up in a nursing home
****ting in his pants }

You make a good point. Rather than one tool box, I will carry three small
ones for different issues.

Electrical ,, Plumbing ,, general ,,

ps: boat just came in the other day. thing is bigger than the Titanic.
Captain is 86.

His wife is 17!

==================
"Larry" wrote in message
"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:zjL7i.9938$eO5.8292
@trndny08:

If you carry a tool box, could you tell what tools go in the box.

Which tool box? There's the plumbing tool box, the sailmaker's tool box,
the electrical/electronics tool box, the carpenter's tool box, the diesel
tool box, and one that appeared left by someone who once was hired to
work on the boat but we can't find him and his tools are too good to toss
tool box.

Contents vary, of course. The electrical tool box doesn't have any sail
cloth or needles in it. Trying to carry it all in one tool box would be
absurd. The box would be too big to stuff into the crannies and too hard
to find that one hooked needle you need buried in the pipe wrenches and
electrical wiring tools. It's much better to use small tool boxes that
stow much easier in available space and are much easier to handle in the
confined spaces. Besides, I don't want ANY of his wrenches he's used on
the head anywhere NEAR my digital multimeters! PU!

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

Capt. JG June 1st 07 04:05 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"Keith" wrote in message
ups.com...
Duct tape and WD-40.

If it moves when it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.

Oh yea, and a very large hammer if the above fails.

Not WD-40.. use something that lubricates and prevents rust. 40 doesn't
lubricate...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Chuck June 1st 07 05:17 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

There are several things it should not
be used on, like bearings, or anything
that maintains a greased lubrication.

Sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil are far better lubricants for moving
parts.

Like all multi-purpose, multi-function
products, it may not do anything better
than single-purpose products.

Chuck

tlindly June 1st 07 05:24 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
Several years ago I made a list of tools and spares to be carried on board.
The list is old, 4 pages long and not completed. The format used is Word
doc. It needs to be reviewed and updated.
If someone wants a copy let me know. In return I would appreciate any
feedback to improve the list.

Paste it in! 4 pages ain't gonna fill up the web...

KLC Lewis June 1st 07 05:29 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:17:08 -0400, Chuck
wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Read the MSDS, Jon. It's about 30% petroleum oil. It is light weight
oil, so it may not be a superior long term lubricant, but it sure is a
useful short term lubricant. It also protectes againt rust pretty
effectively.

There are several things it should not
be used on, like bearings, or anything
that maintains a greased lubrication.

Sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil are far better lubricants for moving
parts.

Like all multi-purpose, multi-function
products, it may not do anything better
than single-purpose products.

Chuck

I don't think I said anything that disagrees with that, Chuck. Sewing
machine oil is a poor choice if you use it for the wrong applications,
too. WD-40 has plenty of applications where it is a better choice than
sewing machine oil or electric motor oil. In fact, the WD40 company
realizes this, and also markets sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil under it's 3-IN-ONE brand.

CWM

Personally, and readily admitting to be a dilettante on the subject, I use
dry lubricants (McLube) on most exposed-to-weather surfaces that want
lubrication, rarely using WD-40 although I seem to always have several cans
on hand. I can't think of any application where I use light oil -- mostly
it's dry lube or one grease or another, depending upon the device.

Chuck June 1st 07 06:16 PM

wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

I don't think I said anything that disagrees with that, Chuck. Sewing
machine oil is a poor choice if you use it for the wrong applications,
too.

Agreed. I was addressing the perception
that WD-40 is a wonder product good for
just about anything. Some folks even rub
in on their hands presumably to
alleviate arthritis. Not recommended.

WD-40 has plenty of applications where
it is a better choice than
sewing machine oil or electric motor oil. In fact, the WD40 company
realizes this, and also markets sewing machine oil and electric motor
oil under it's 3-IN-ONE brand.

Not sure I understand the second
sentence, but the 3-in-one Household Oil
found everywhere is NOT very good when
used as a sewing machine oil or an
electric motor oil.

There is a 3-in-one Electric Motor Oil
that is fine.

AFIK, there is no sewing machine oil
marketed under the 3-in-one brand.

Chuck

Larry June 1st 07 07:57 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

June 1st 07 08:21 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

"tlindly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
Several years ago I made a list of tools and spares to be carried on
board.
The list is old, 4 pages long and not completed. The format used is Word
doc. It needs to be reviewed and updated.
If someone wants a copy let me know. In return I would appreciate any
feedback to improve the list.

Paste it in! 4 pages ain't gonna fill up the web..

Here is the pasted list. It may not have copied in its entirety?

Tools and Spare Parts

Description
Size
Quantity
Location

Allen Wrenches

Chisels (cold)

Cordless Drill

Set of drill bits

File:

******* 8"

Rattail

Triangular

Hammer

ballpeen

Mallet

Measuring:

Tape

Caliper

Venier

Oil Stone

Pliers:

Groove joint

Long Nose

Bent Nose

Lineman

Diagonal Cutter

Slip Joint

Vise Grip

Mirror (retrieving)

Putty Knifes

Bolt Cutter

Pipe Cutter

Hacksaw

Blade

Screwdrivers:

Flat

Jewellers set

Robertson

Phillip

Tin snips

Torch kit

Tap and Die Set

8-32

10-24

10-32

1/4-20

5/16-24

3/8-16

3/8-24

Utility Knives

Vise

Clamps

Wire Bushes

Wrenches:

Adjustable

Pipe

Open set

Strap

Work gloves

Glue:

Two parts Epoxy

Glooze it

Sealers:

Silicone

Lubricants

W40

Silicone Spray

Grease

Electrical

Running light bulbs

Spare bulbs for lights

Fuses

Wire crimps

Wire stripper crimpers

Assorted size of wire

Flashlight batterier

Flashlight bulbs

Electrical tape

Silicone grease

Multimeter

Solder/Paste

Soldering iron

Sail Repair Kit

Scissor

Sailmaker's wax

Palm

Seam rippers

Hot knive and tips

Light thread

Spool waxed Polyester

Needle #13,15,17 & 19

Repair Tape

Stickback Dacron

Weights seizing wire

D or O rings

Tubular webbing

Sailmaker plier

Weight Sailcloth

Dacron/Terylene

Awls

Grommet Set/Mallet

Rigging

Nicro press tool

Nicro press sleeves

SS thimbles

Snap shackles

Weight wire

Rigging toggles

Clevis pins

Track cars

Plate Set

Main Halyar

Genoa Halyard

Turnbuckles

Engine and Mechanical

Transmission fluid

Engine oil

Filters

Voltage regulator

Engine belt

Hose clamps

Water pump Impeller

Packing (flax)

Spares

Cotter pins

SS nuts and bolts

Head repair kit

Galley pump repair kit

Winch Parts

Pawls

Pawl spring

Roller bearing

Split rings

Toothbrush

Dental pick

Extra Handle

June 1st 07 08:31 PM

Tool Box on board .. what goes in the box

wrote in message

"tlindly" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 1, 10:17 am, wrote:
[...]

The pasted list did come out good.
Still if someone wants a proper tabled copy let me know.

cavelamb himself June 1st 07 11:34 PM

Larry wrote:
"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:T_U7i.5$Gy4.2@trndny08:

His wife is 17!

I wouldn't go anywhere near that boat, especially to sea! That jealous
******* may throw you to the sharks if SHE takes a liking to you!

No thanks....

Larry

Coward!

It's a dangerous job, but somebody has to do it...