Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default South Pacific Islands Courtesy Flags

Thanks for feedback from someone who's been there. We've got 20-30
courtesy flags at about $20 each, and that adds up to big bucks,
especially when no one really cares. A small duster way up the mast
with a small emblem is much better than nothing in my mind. I'll
probably get a New Zealand flag and use that thru Australia if it lasts
that long.

-- Geoff

Panama wrote in
:

At the risk of sounding discourtous about "Courtesy" flags - we
cruisied most everywhere and flew only the French (Fr Polynesia,
Wallis and New Cal) and Tonga flags (they also cared) - nobody else
noticed or cared that we didn't fly any flags, even the US flag. Sorry
to have to tell you - the reality is that flags are mostly a spectator
sport. Neither the foreign officials nor the lforeign locals cared
about flags.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:53:10 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I agree with Neil, having lived in the islands for many years. You
should make and effort to fly a the proper 'Courtesy Flag'. That is
why it is called a 'Courtesy Flag'.

If you don't want to purchase each and everyone before you leave, or
are uncertian of which ones you will need, carry along bunting of each
color and spend those idle hours hand stitching the flag for the next
port. You could even cut it out and glue it together, if you don't
want to do the sewing. Should last as long as you will be staying..

For various bunting colors, check with Sail Rite, they have a variety
and can sell you just about anything you might need..

However it might be nice to have a good picture or tracing of the flag
details.. Most of these flags that are recognized as Courtesy Flags
have some 'reduction' in detail so you can get away with that..

Jim Woodward

I'm with Steve and Neil, half because I enjoy flying flags, half because I
think the little things sometimes get you better treatment, and half because
it's courteous and if you expect to get courtesy, you ought to give it.

Note that there are nations (Indonesia and Turkey come to mind) that take it
very seriously --

With that said, do not try to simply fly a red duster -- better to do
nothing. Australia and New Zealand are independent countries (unlike most of
the Caribbean island colonies that use a defaced red duster) and could be
offended. Fiji is also independent and in fact has been booted out of the
Commonwealth.

Colors:
Kiwi - Red
Aussie - Dark Blue
Fiji - Aqua.

Red is definitely correct for New Zealand. The Ozzies I talked to,
including two members of the Royal Melbourne who sailed with us, couldn't
decide whether red or blue was correct -- the visitors used both. Fiji is
definitely aqua, although you could probably get away with blue.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Neil Currey

The Kiwi flag is optional to Quote the

Ships Registration Act 1992

"The Master or Captain of a non New Zealand registered vessel commecial or
recreational may choose to fly the New Zealand Ensign (national flag) or the
New Zealand Red Ensign."

If you wanted the New Zealand flag to do double duty in NZ and Australia you
should get the New Zealand Ensign not the Red Duster (Australia does not
recognise it anymore).

Also I have sailed in New Zealand,Australia and most of the Pacific (its my
backyard) and I liked to fly all the appropriate flags , its only a small
inconvience and it was noticed and commented on.And it sure helped to ease
the way .
Neil C

..
And also make sure you know how many Stars are on each one.

.
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Glendon

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
I suppose we COULD print them with the color printer and laminate them
with holes to fly them....(c;

Not an entirely facetious post. I have just ordered some waterproof paper
from the US, for various experiments....mainly to print waterproof chart
segments. Apparently, it can be printed using an ordinary inkjet printer ,
bothsides, and when the ink dries, is waterproof. This waterproof paper is
not just paper, but some hard to tear, sun resistant compound. Comes in
different sizes. Off the top...might be worth experimenting with for
temporary flags

And, as an Australian, I would suggest to the OP that no flag is preferable
to some bodgied up english or nz flag. Perhaps the OP should have watched
the World Rugby Cup last night...flags were aplenty as Australia beat the
**** out of the Kiwis. And there will be flags aplenty when Australia beats
England next Saturday night. (Oh, the US was bundled out of the competition
earlier on, along with Georgia and a few other nondescripts who can't stand
the pace and fury of real football)

Tom Yang

There're a lot of flags on eBay. A typical 36x60 flag costs only $4-5.

If you strike a deal with a single seller, you can get all the
flags you need in one shipment and heavy discount.

Tom Yang

There're a lot of flags on eBay. A typical 36x60 flag costs only $4-5.

If you strike a deal with a single seller, you can get all the
flags you need in one shipment and heavy discount.

Geoffrey W. Schultz

Hi Tom,

The problem is that I want small courtesy flags...not 3'x5' flags. My
lightweight flag halyard wouldn't handle something that big, and then
there's the issue of storage, etc. I looked on Ebay and didn't find any
smaller. Oh well. But thanks for the suggestion!

-- Geoff

"Tom Yang" wrote in news:t2hwb.483575$9l5.237288
@pd7tw2no: