Default Irwin 37 return from Cancun

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

I plotted a course from Cancun to Miami keeping at least 25 miles off
Cuba
and following the axis of the gulf stream to maximize the assist from
the
current. It is 504 miles and with an average speed of 6.0 knots it
would
take 3 1/2 days.

Ansley,

Interesting results. Did you do this the old fashioned way, or did
you use software? If it is software or a web-site, would you please
share the name.

Thank you and take care . . .

John

You forgot one very important thing. You forgot to factor in the
prevailing easterlies. For example, for the past three weeks straight
without a single day's respite the wind has been blowing out of the east
and northeast at 20-40 knots in the Florida Straits. Nothing I'd attempt
to sail against and that's the truth.

Wilbur Hubbard

On May 29, 11:45 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

Wilbur,

I entirely agree that I would not want to spend however long it would
take tacking into those easterlies. But on the other hand, is a bad
day tacking better than a good day at work (smile)? I was more
interested in how Ansley came up with the waypoints.

take care . . .

John

John,

I have the Cap'n Mosaic software. The Cap'n is now owned by Maptech but I
have been using it since it was a Maine company.

http://www.maptech.com/water/thecapn/index.cfm

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

I plotted a course from Cancun to Miami keeping at least 25 miles off
Cuba
and following the axis of the gulf stream to maximize the assist from the
current. It is 504 miles and with an average speed of 6.0 knots it would
take 3 1/2 days.

Ansley,

Interesting results. Did you do this the old fashioned way, or did
you use software? If it is software or a web-site, would you please
share the name.

Thank you and take care . . .

John

The Cap'n is capable of this sort of route-planning. I should think most, if
not all, other charting software is equally capable.

Before we all go running to the "Feds" to snitch on me. I think it
would be helpful to revist the original question of what is the most
conservative route when viewed by a Mother.

I would think as a Mother that a coastal route along Cuba is viewed as
"more safe" than a straight shot down the gulf stream heading into the
wind the majority of the time.

Regarding the :"Feds", a call to them will inform you that it is not
illegal to go, so long as you don't spend money "with out approval".

A second call to the Treasury department, will result in a form being
officially mailed to you so that you can both go and spend money.
Send me an email and I'll send you the form and some nice pictures we
took in Havana after we were approved to go by the "Feds".

This topic is demonstrated this month by the "Feds" looking into
Michael Moore's visit to Cuba to film his movie. They don't care that
he went, only that he left money there with out filling out the
Treasury department form.

If anyone is pationate about having me speak with the "Feds" over
this, both they and the "Feds" can shoot me an email. I'm happy to
share my pics with them also.

FS: Irwin 37 in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 July 4th 06 09:41 PM
Radar Return Anomaly. Richard P. Cruising 9 January 22nd 05 05:58 AM
What does MIT say about ionization and lightning?? JAXAshby ASA 70 August 25th 04 09:47 PM
Return My Fender Bobsprit ASA 0 November 30th 03 02:40 PM
Perkins 108-4 Fuel Return question Ken Coit Cruising 4 July 28th 03 08:33 PM