Default Ping Larry - Ferrites?

Hi Larry,
I have installed my new Icom, AT130 Antenna tuner and Pactor usb
modem.

Unfortunately I could not avoid the wires from the winmd generator
base and the wire from the ATU to the backstays coming to with a foot
of each other.

Pactor modem works well and power output etc is excellent but I don't
know where to fit all the ferrites you mention. I have a few that fit
smaller cables but none of the size to fit over the coax.

I would much appreciate your help - once again.

Being back in the water again out of a hot and dirty yard is just
bliss. Using and having to pump your own toilet (- dismantling it due
to a blockage first), going to and fro by dinghy, rocking of the boat
and using the kerosene stove instead of an electric hot plate is like
being in heaven.

Just have to tune the rigging and I am off. All the little things that
need to be completed after a refit can be done under way.

cheers
Peter Hendra

Peter Hendra wrote in
:

Hi Larry,
I have installed my new Icom, AT130 Antenna tuner and Pactor usb
modem.

Unfortunately I could not avoid the wires from the winmd generator
base and the wire from the ATU to the backstays coming to with a foot
of each other.

If the wires are in parallel, that's bad, really bad. RF will couple
from the antenna wire, which is a part of the antenna, itself, onto the
wind gennie wires, going to waste, not on the air. If the wires are
perpendicular to each other, this won't happen. Can you reroute the wind
generator wiring so it is not parallel with the wire going from the tuner
to the backstay, the RF hot wire? Just get them as far away and as
perpendicular to each other as you can get them. Everything on a boat
antenna is a great, big compromise.

Pactor modem works well and power output etc is excellent but I don't
know where to fit all the ferrites you mention. I have a few that fit
smaller cables but none of the size to fit over the coax.

RF will follow the outside of the coax shield, induced by the RF
radiating from the nearby antenna, back towards the radio. But, if it
causes no problem, let's not make one. On the air, RF interference into
a microphone circuit sounds like a rasping sound every time you start
talking. If it gets too bad, it'll go into wild oscillation making a
screaming noise in the transmitter's audio input, but, obviously these
aren't happening so I don't think you have a problem. If it gets into
any kind of modem, it simply won't connect to anyone. Yours works, so is
probably fine.

Ferrites don't need to be tight to the wire, just surrounding them. On
power leads, I use those square ferrites you can take several turns of
power lead wire around, filling it with wire. This also helps reduce
noise RF following the DC and control cable "antennas" back into the
radio receiver, as well as transmitter. Do these as close to the radio
as practical. As to the coax, RG-58 or 6, make an air inductor out of
it. Instead of cutting the coax as short as possible, leave extra on the
radio end and make a smooth, 8-10 turn loop in it about 15cm in diameter,
taping the loop so it will stay tight. The RF inside the coax is
unaffected. The RF sneaking back down the outside sees this series
inductance and is "somewhat" blocked. It reduces the backfed RF to
acceptable levels, even RF that's tearing up mic audio amps.

Another great way to both eliminate RF feedback down the coax and greatly
reduce the radio being destroyed by a static discharge from a nearby
lightning hit, is to route the coax to the engine block. Most backstay
antenna tuners are right over the rudder, inside a locker that's exposed
to the engine compartment. I like to route the coax to a coaxial surge
suppressor mounted in a little stainless (if possible) plate I can bolt
to any engine bolt I can get to. The surge suppressor will trigger on
any static high voltage pulse inside the coax, saving the transmitter,
but not the tuner, of course. This also bleeds any RF following the
cable back to the nav station instruments off to the engine block
(ground) so the coax from that point to the radio is nearly RF free. I
do the same thing to antenna cables on ham radios at home. I route the
coax down the tower, through surge suppressors mounted into a large
aluminum block firmly U-bolted to an 8' electrical ground rod in the soil
next to the tower, one of 3 that also ground the tower. This keeps RF
and lightning from looking in my hamshack for a ground path. I use a 20
turn coax "inductor", just like I described above, to make extra
protective inductance in series to reduce the risk even further. It's
worked for me since the 1960s with good success...(c; One hit blew the
top off the tower and just vaporized the coax back to my ground plate.
The coax and radios on the house side of that plate were untouched! Too
bad the beam antenna and top 3 feet of the tower were also vaporized,
just disappeared. All I remember is a blinding pink flash you'd expect
from a nuclear detonation and being deaf for days after the event....

I would much appreciate your help - once again.

Being back in the water again out of a hot and dirty yard is just
bliss. Using and having to pump your own toilet (- dismantling it due
to a blockage first), going to and fro by dinghy, rocking of the boat
and using the kerosene stove instead of an electric hot plate is like
being in heaven.

You can always tell a true sailor from the rest by just looking at their
faces at the dingy dock, especially if its windy enough to get them wet
on their way in from the anchorage...(c;

Just have to tune the rigging and I am off. All the little things that
need to be completed after a refit can be done under way.

Congratulations! Glad you're at sea, again.

Just remember:

It's always better to be standing on the dock, wishing you were at
sea....
Than to be at sea, wishing you were on the dock....

Larry

Hi Larry,
Thanks again for the advice to the ignorant.

What was all black box to me is now starting to turn a little brown or
a whiter shade of pale.

Should be setting off tomorrow. The boatyards here in Chaguramas,
Trinidad are filling up fast with new arrivals who will leave their
boats on the hard during the hurricane season. Friend Jack from
California left yesterday for quieter parts, but not before he made me
up a 40 foot primary hose for my scuba so that I could leave the
bottle on deck should I need to go over the side in a seaway - a great
but simple idea. He cut the hose in half and joined the two ends with
industrial air hose. On end goes to the mouthpiece and the other to
the regulator. Some may think it not good practice but he uses one and
is a retired submersion diver who has worked most of his life in the
oil industry. No more trying to snorkel under the hull to cut ropes,
nets and plastic bags from the prop or using scuba and having the tank
bang on the hull as the waves bounce it about.

If you ever come to Trinidad, be sure to meet Claus at "First Mate"
who is a first rate engineer of the old German school. He has a wealth
of experience and can repair anything as well as being able to
converse on a wide range of subjects including the recent discovery of
the Emperor Augustus's lost three legions in Germany. As a young
engineer on merchant ships he served under the former commander of the
U-boat of "Das Boat". Apparently the story is true. I have seen two
versions of the film; the original German one and the latest version
which had, at the final stages, the main participants being killed by
an air raid. This did not happen and was supposedly added for the
American market. Take a look at
http://uboat.net/flotillas/bases/index.html

There is a whole U-boat war saga that was focused upon Trinidad that
is very interesting and is featured in the excellent maritime museum
near here.

Anyway thanks so very much for your help and much appreciated advice.

Remember, if you come to either New Zealand, Australia or Malaysia -
let me know. I would be greatful to repay you by playing host.

Don't change

regards
Peter Hendra
[...]

Thanks for the pointer, Peter. I'll pass it on to my friend Dave, who is
a WW2 US submariner, ending up on the USS Darter being depth charged by
the Japanese in the Pacific. He has some real tales to tell. Dave was
the Chief Radioman aboard and can copy Morse Code around 40-50 wpm. He
lives on the CW portion of the ham bands in the bottom 20Khz where the
high speed operators still ply their trade. To look at him, you'd think
he was getting senile...well, until you see him sit down at his Morse
paddle working a Russian yesterday afternoon around 35wpm...(c;

Many great stories are corrupted by American movie interests in the name
of money. Try to see "Letters From Iwo Jima", in Japanese w/English
subtitles. It gives one a different perspective of the average bloke
soldiers and what they went through as their desparate officers tried to
kill them during the last hours before the US Marine Corp took over the
island. It's a real story, made by the Japanese, from the recollection
of one scared private who survived because he got to the American medics.

Larry
--
Warning - South Carolina's sales tax went up ANOTHER 1% today,
so that rich people with big houses could get reduced taxes.

Ping Larry - Circuit Breakers Peter Hendra Electronics 23 May 13th 07 04:17 PM
Ping Larry - re Aaron Russo doco Peter Hendra Cruising 1 May 7th 07 02:14 AM
Ping Larry: Sintered Bronze Peter Hendra Cruising 63 May 1st 07 08:18 PM
Ping: Larry Vic Smith Cruising 2 April 12th 07 12:01 PM
Ping: Larry Peter Hendra Cruising 2 April 2nd 07 11:18 PM