posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default MarineMax service

I recently brought mt boat into their Wrightsville Beach, SC facility
for repair. Their tech misdiagnosed the problem and replaced all my
fuel filters instead of finding the one bad fuel injector. Then they
wanted to rebuild or replace all the injectors and the injector pump,
so I pulled out and found someone else. What's interesting is the
letter I got from their service advisor after I complained about
spending over $200 and not having my boat fixed. He may not be much of
a service advisor, but he sure has a future in customer relations

"I apologize that you are not satisfied with the service you received
at Marinemax. I believe that you are not up set with the service you
received but instead what the service cost you. I hope that you think
back to our conversation on the dock. I never told you that all of
your injectors need to be replaced. I told you that you had two
injectors that where clogged and that we could have them rebuilt or
replaced, however I suggested to you that you rebuild or replace all
of the fuel injectors. I also suggested that you rebuild or replace
your fuel pump. If you remember when I finished explaining the problem
to you, I told you that I would give you a little time to think about
what course of action you wanted to take. I also offered to put you
on my dock for the night at no charge.

It is in poor character that you place an entry on the internet
giving partial details of what actually occurred. My tech also had
other boats to take care of and placed you at the top so that you
could continue your voyage. While I understand your complaint and
frustration, I believe that direction you are venting your frustration
is in the wrong direction.

As a fellow police officer I would expect that a retired police
officer would not jeopardize his integrity the way you have. It is
your choice to bad mouth MarineMax, the service advisor, and tech;
however I would think you would at least tell the truth. I know that
you are familiar with slander, and your dictation of the events that
occurred is just that, slander. Mr. XXXXX I hope that you will take
the time to learn your preventive maintenance schedule and follow it,
it will save you a tremendous amount of time, and money.

Mr. XXXXX, I also hope that your further posting paint the entire
truth. When you begin attacking honesty and integrity, search hard
and try to tell the truth. In your attempts to attack Marinemax, and
its employees, you are the one who lost out. I hope if the truth
finds its way on to your blogs, you have time left to repair what it
took a life time to build, HONESTY & INTEGRITY. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR
JOURNEY.

Service Advisor

MarineMax Wrightsville Beach"

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with an old dodge truck. I'll
tell you the same thing I told him. It it is pretty common for most places
to service the complete set of injectors rather than fix one. It the same
in the auto world. Theory is that what happened to one is probably
happening to the others. Unless the engine has really low hours. Just
tearing into an injection fuel system can sometimes result in more clogged
injectors. Service centers have to plan repairs to reduce returns because a
returning customer is not a happy customer.

"Messing In Boats" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I could be wrong but it sure sounds to me as though you could have been
misinterpreting excellent advice as an attempt to rip you off. If the
injectors are relatively low hours, maybe it was an anomaly. However, if
they looked at your filters (first thing to check and relatively low cost)
and other things and saw an engine that hadn't had much preventative care,
it would be very reasonable to suggest that the time it was starting to show
problems would be a good time to make everything right.

If they had just done the minimum and gotten you off their dock only to be
having more problems 50 miles later, what would you have been posting on
your web site?

--
Roger Long

* Messing In Boats wrote, On 5/25/2007 5:43 AM:
I recently brought mt boat into their Wrightsville Beach, SC facility
for repair. Their tech misdiagnosed the problem and replaced all my
fuel filters instead of finding the one bad fuel injector. Then they
wanted to rebuild or replace all the injectors and the injector pump,
so I pulled out and found someone else...

Hmmm. Replace filters before pulling the injectors for testing. That
sounds reasonable. But why wouldn't you have done that yourself?
Rebuild all injectors once some of them show a problem? Maybe,
depends on the age.

It sounds to me like you didn't want to do the basic
maintenance/diagnostics and now you're complaining. FWIW, I've been
in exactly the same situation, and the moral I learned is that I
should be able to do almost all of the work on the boat. That way, I
don't pay someone else $200 to change a filter.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On 25 May 2007 02:43:20 -0700, Messing In Boats
wrote:

I recently brought mt boat into their Wrightsville Beach, SC facility
for repair. Their tech misdiagnosed the problem and replaced all my
fuel filters instead of finding the one bad fuel injector. Then they
wanted to rebuild or replace all the injectors and the injector pump,
so I pulled out and found someone else

Well, let me say this.

When I had a bad injector in my FICHT, they replaced all of them and
the fuel pump.

And I can say that in the automotive world, it's not at all uncommon
to replace all the injectors if one goes bad.

I think you were off base on this one and owe them an apology.

On May 25, 2:43?am, Messing In Boats wrote:
[...]

Customer relations?

Heck he's got a future as a regular poster to rec.boats. He's got all
the
basics down. You start with a disagreement over a technical issue and
then allow it to escalate to an exchange of nasty personal remarks. :-)

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Messing In Boats wrote in
ups.com:

As a fellow police officer I would expect that a retired police
officer would not jeopardize his integrity the way you have. It is
your choice to bad mouth MarineMax, the service advisor, and tech;
however I would think you would at least tell the truth. I know that
you are familiar with slander, and your dictation of the events that
occurred is just that, slander. Mr. XXXXX I hope that you will take
the time to learn your preventive maintenance schedule and follow it,
it will save you a tremendous amount of time, and money.

Sea Ray of Charleston also threatened me, right in front of witnesses,
that if I didn't stop posting all the problems I had with my POS Sea Ray
Sea Rayder, rotting seats made with open foam and cotton backed vinyl,
panels leaking brown gook out behind them because the packing box board
they were mounted on was rotting in the wet cotton batting used for
padding, and many other miseries, If I didn't stop reporting it, I was no
longer welcome in Sea Ray of Charleston.

I told him....in front of the same witnesses....to kiss my ass.....

They think everyone should kiss their corporate asses....

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without

On May 25, 7:51 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I agree on that one. If you're doing the work yourself then it is
more of an option to just replace a couple of bad injectors and see
how it goes. Knwoing that you can stick a couple more in if needed.
Worst thing about injectors is pulling them as they are usually in
there pretty good. Shop can't afford to take that approach.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

jamesgangnc wrote in
oups.com:

Worst thing about injectors is pulling them as they are usually in
there pretty good.

Huh? Some unscrew like a spark plug. Others have two bolts holding down a
holder bar like our Perkins. You'll need a socket and open end wrench to
get the line off it. It helps if an intake or exhaust valve is open...(c;

Larry
--
Grade School Physics Factoid:
A building cannot freefall into its own footprint without
skilled demolition.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Messing In Boats wrote in
ups.com:

As a fellow police officer I would expect that a

snip
On May 25, 4:20 pm, Larry wrote:
snip
They think everyone should kiss their corporate asses....

Larry
--

Most Marine stores think of themselves as a;
Luxury Market.

If they ONCE catch you buying anything at full price from them,
they will forever class you as a GentileMan and expect you to
want full service and first class treatment forever and anon.
If you ever question a price or service, you will fall from grace
in their eyes [they still see you as Gentile, can't 'do it yourself',
or search for reasonable prices elsewhere, but now you are a
pauper in that situation and they can treat you with the same
Disdain that the still-well-to-do treat them with.]

But then, if you Can't do-it-yourself, then I suppose you Will
Have to "kiss their Corporate Asses", or grease your own...