A30

Default Electronic Charts / Laylines

All I want is a program to run while racing around the bouys and
cruising on weekends that computes and displays real time upwind and
downwind laylines.

I have a hot new PC laptop that I'll use on board, integrated GPS,
full ComNav NX2 instrument system.

I'm trying to decide on what software to buy.

Will Nobeltec do this? RayMarine will but that's more expensive.
MaxSea will if you buy the really expensive version (not the 5K
version)!

HELP!

Bill
Jim Woodward

Really? Must be a big boat. I'm not allowed below while racing, except to
pack the chute. Certainly couldn't sit at a computer.....

I'm navigator and pit on a Jenneau Selection 37 -- we do a pretty good
job -- been to the US Offshore Championships once -- regularly win in Mass
Bay and the New Englands. Not by any means world class, but certainly a
good solid winning boat.

I use a Garmin 12 for all navigation. While the map function is
occasionally useful, mostly I (and the captain, through me) use Relative
Bearing to the Waypoint (called TRN on the Garmin 12) as an indicator of how
close we are to the layline. You can compare this easily to your tacking
angle on that day and decide where you are.

I don't see any need for more than this. When you're close to the mark, you
use your eye, particularly the first time around when the weather mark
location in the GPS is only as good as the Race Committee setting it (second
time around you know exactly, having punched it as you rounded). Farther
from the mark, it's not an exact science anyway, as your tacking angle is
only approximate, you don't know the exact current you'll have, and you have
to allow for potential wind shifts.

As for cruising -- we used two Garmin 45s (the predecessor of the 12) going
around the world on Swee****er. Fintry will probably get a Garmin 76. I may
use a computer charting package here on the East Coast, but the jury is
still out.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"A30" wrote in message
om...
All I want is a program to run while racing around the bouys and
cruising on weekends that computes and displays real time upwind and
downwind laylines.

I have a hot new PC laptop that I'll use on board, integrated GPS,
full ComNav NX2 instrument system.

I'm trying to decide on what software to buy.

Will Nobeltec do this? RayMarine will but that's more expensive.
MaxSea will if you buy the really expensive version (not the 5K
version)!

HELP!

Bill

A30

Let me reword my original post...

Will the Nobeltec Visual Navigation Suite software display upwind and
downwind laylines on an electronic chart (assuming all of the other
instrumentation is in place)?

I know that Raytech Navigator and MaxSea will do this for a price.

Bill Blevins

A30

No one has Nobeltec and knows this answer?
A30

No one has Nobeltec and knows this answer?