John Nagy

Default Baja to Puget Sound

I've read that one takes a terrible pounding on this route headed north.
Anyone have experience doing this? Alternatives are trucking boat back
or making the Baja-Hawaii- Puget Sound triangle. We have an Ingrid 38
with a 37hp diesel. Thanks in advance for all input.
John
s/v Lionheart

Dick

I've read that one takes a terrible pounding on this route headed north.
Anyone have experience doing this? Alternatives are trucking boat back
or making the Baja-Hawaii- Puget Sound triangle. We have an Ingrid 38
with a 37hp diesel. Thanks in advance for all input.
John

I have made the trip from Cabo to San Diego twice. Your options are ship by
truck from San Carlos, Sonora, sail to Hawaii first, Sail the old clipper
route, go north along the coast, and Ship with Dockwise Yatch Transport.

There is an article in the November 48 North (Magazine) about shipping the boat
from San Carlos. They also mention the Dockwise Yacht Transport. Both will cost
about $6,000.00. You can look at www.marinasancarlos.com for info on how to do
that. You can ship from San Diego for about $3,000.00

As far as sailing north along the coast goes It will depend on when you go as
to how hard it is. If you are planning to go in May you may want to reconsider.
That is the worst time to go. There is a break in the weather between the
winter storms and the May wind for about a week at the end of April. Go then or
wait until the end of May when the wind goes back to 15 knots and a 3 foot
swell. But you can make it. I did it in a Orion 27 and a 24 hp engine.

If you wait till June the old clipper route would be good. You go west from
Cabo until you hit the North East trades and then turn northwest and go parrell
with the coast. But in May you can get the same 30 knot wind that you will get
along the coast. So in May it will not be fun.

If you are going along the coast let me know. I found a spot that has no south
bound current west of Cabo. It will make that part of the trip a little easier.

The book that has all the anchoreages to stop in was writen by Jack Williams
and is called Baja Boaters's Guide. Volume 1 The Pacific Coast. There are
places to anchor about a day apart so you can anchor at night except between
Cabo and Mag bay.

Dick
S/V Morning Star

Tom Dacon

I shipped my 41' sloop from Ensenada to Vancouver, B.C. via Dockwise Yacht
Transport in March of this year, at a cost of $4100. It was a trouble-free
trip and I recommend the service without reservation.

Tom Dacon
Port Townsend, WA

"John Nagy" wrote in message
I've read that one takes a terrible pounding on this route headed north.
Anyone have experience doing this? Alternatives are trucking boat back
or making the Baja-Hawaii- Puget Sound triangle. We have an Ingrid 38
with a 37hp diesel. Thanks in advance for all input.
John
s/v Lionheart

Lloyd Sumpter

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:00:07 +0000, Dick wrote:

I've read that one takes a terrible pounding on this route headed north.
Anyone have experience doing this? Alternatives are trucking boat back
or making the Baja-Hawaii- Puget Sound triangle. We have an Ingrid 38
with a 37hp diesel. Thanks in advance for all input.
John

I have made the trip from Cabo to San Diego twice. Your options are ship by
truck from San Carlos, Sonora, sail to Hawaii first, Sail the old clipper
route, go north along the coast, and Ship with Dockwise Yatch Transport.

Lots of Good Information, but I suspect the real challenge to this passage
would be north of California. The Oregon (and Washington) coast can be
very dangerous at just about any time of year, and going North is against
the prevailing NW winds. Opinions differ, but most say the best way is a
fair pile offshore (50miles? 100 miles?)

Most folks I've talked to here in Vancouver went the Hawaii route.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36