Default Anti-Fouling

Figures. I bet you don't have holding tanks either.

And those who have them (the holding tanks ) usually empty them in
marinas........in the med that is.in the atlantic it s npot really
making any diffence anyway.......
But the antibiotics idea is a bit .........far for me.normal
antifouling on my boat ,has lasted 3 years so far ,but we keep in
river for 2 winters ,afloat.
Fresh water kills the sea thinkies ,and boat is always clean.now for 6
months in the med we dont yet have anything on the hull...it was 2
coats of international i bought in UK for 40 something quid.
your call but dont get the hull used to meds ,it might become addicted
and want more.....

In article , Hanz
wrote:

Has anybody ever put antibiotics into the antifouling paint, like
tetracycline??

Hanz

I used to use oxytetracycline mixed into ablative paint for the areas
adjacent to my propeller shaft, prop strut and feathering prop (hub)
in order to keep the barnacles off. I took veterininary grade
oxytetracycline (pills) , gound it to a fine powder and added to the
paint. Worked well for the few years I used it; but, it leached from
the paint faster than the ablative would erode away and would leave
teeny holes in the paint.
Now I use "Petit Zinc (spay) Barnacle Barrier" ... and that works MUCH
better.

In article .com,
wrote:

Or wait, maybe it is a really bad idea, and would just
help breeding strains of antibiotics resistant bacteria.

So, I guess you advocate impounding of all the zillions of gallons of
treated sewage (containing exponentially many times the quantity of
antibiotics, etc. that he plans to use on his 'boat') that comes from
large cities, etc. and eventually goes into the rivers/oceans ..... as
it contains the exact same 'stuff', ... just 'used' once or twice.
What pray tell do you recommend be done about 'THAT'. :-O

On May 5, 2:48 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Hanz,
It is already commercially available as an additive. The Tetracycline used
is the Bovine variety. Although I have not yet used it, I have been told it
is very successful. It is supposed to be used along with a pepper hot sauce
in even the cheapest ablative bottom paint. The theory is clinging animal
life does not like spicy environments. Furthermore, it isn't supposed to
**** off the oysters and thereby keep the greenies at bay.(so to speak)
Steve

"Hanz" wrote in message

. ..

Has anybody ever put antibiotics into the antifouling paint, like
tetracycline??

Hanz- Hide quoted text -

Starbrite's Compound X is just tetracycline. I've used it when I make
up inflatable boat bottom paint, along with cayenne pepper. The
combination works very well.

Fouling Props [email protected] ASA 8 January 12th 06 04:00 PM
ocean crusing & anti collision tactics.... ~^ beancounter ~^ Cruising 75 November 5th 05 04:37 PM
The Scheel Keel + ANTI VORTEX PANELS + Modifiying Keel Mic Cruising 1 September 23rd 05 03:29 AM
anti fatigue mats for powerboaters to stand on captkeywest General 6 July 1st 05 01:30 PM
Prop fouling Parallax Cruising 1 October 13th 03 10:32 PM