Default Pics of Russian Sub Kursk after recovery...

the_bmac wrote in :

Reactor accidents have shown us how serious this issue is. Anyone in
North America who was alive when Chernobyl melted down has strontium
and cesium isotopes in their bone, teeth and thyroid tissues from that
accident. But even more problematic is the storage of so-called
"spent" fuel pellets. With half-lives in the hundred thousand year
range, more thought needs to be given to disposal methods. IT may be
that there is no viable way to deal with reactor waste. Then there is
the issue of cost. Reactors have short life spans. What to do with a
reactor core that is no longer viable after years of being bombarded
by radiation? Big $$$$$$$ to replace. True, nuclear fuels produce
obscene amounts of energy relative to its mass, but...

http://www.bellona.org/
Here, drop by the nuclear section of Bellona's website and look at the
REALLY scary stuff the nuclear industry, worldwide, rather you didn't
know about. Bellona is a Norwegian organisation...nervous neighbors to
the Russian nuclear navy/power plant industry. I don't blame them. A
number of major nuclear accidents involving nuclear reactors in Russia
have simply been ignored and covered up. Hell, some guys from Bellona
walked right up to abandoned, but active, nuclear submarines right in
Russia and the photos they took are on the website.

Pay particular attention to the Bellona webpages about the nuclear
refueling industry, which is pretty much abandoned wasteland, some of
which is so radioactive it makes Chernobyl look innocent, except for the
initial explosion. Whole areas of Russia are contaminated and abandoned,
not just Chernobyl. Highly radioactive spent fuel rods from Russian subs
are sitting in rotting transport cases in open fields, in the weather,
constantly contaminating the environment around them.

As you view these pictures, pay careful attention to any pictures that
appear "fogged" or have white spots on them from the intense radiation
where the picture was taken exposing the film right inside the camera
case.

Most disturbing....and unreported, of course.

Larry

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:14:24 -0400, Gogarty wrote:

Way OT here, but the United States of America has invaded the _nation_
of Canada exactly zero times.

--Tom.

Well, somebody invaded Canada during the War of 1812. But I think it was
a bunch of Fenians, not the U.S. Government's forces. I believe the
invaders were promptly tossed out.

Parse what Tom said carefully. There have been several invasions, during
the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, but Canada wasn't Canada until
1867. The Fenian Raids, you refer to, were Irish Civil War veterans, not
the USA.

David Martel wrote:
I suspect that Tom is hoping for just that answer since Canada was not a
nation at that time. The US has had lots of border forays with it's neighbor
to the north both before and after it became a nation.

Dave M.

Don't forget the PIG war of San Juan Island. That was a biggie!
Gordon

On Apr 27, 5:19 am, "David Martel" wrote:
I suspect that Tom is hoping for just that answer since Canada was not a
nation at that time. The US has had lots of border forays with it's neighbor
to the north both before and after it became a nation.

I apologize profusely to all for the off topic post. I will try to
restrain myself in the future. I was in no way attempting to play a
game of "gotcha". I think the historic record is clear and that the
relations between the United States and Canada since it became a free
dominion have been remarkably peaceful. There have been no disputes
between the national governments of the countries that any reasonable
person could claim were military invasions. Prior to Canadian
nationhood and going back into the colonial period the wars that took
place across the border were reflections of disputes between the great
European powers. While this is self-evident for wars like the French
and Indian War (Seven Years War on the Continent) it is also arguable
for the American Revolution which would have been unwinnable without
French support and the War of 1812. The root cause of the War of 1812
was British interference with US trade at sea and particularly the
impressment of sailors (whew! finally something to do with boats!) as
a result of the British war with France. The War ended in America
when the European hostilities ceased because the trade issues were
mooted. The War was fought everywhere that US and British interests
met. On land, that included the Eastern seaboard and the Canadian
border. Pretty much everywhere that British regulars met US forces on
land the British won. They also raided the US coast at will and even
burned Washington. Of course, the US forces were also badly beaten
along the Canadian border. An interesting aspect of the war as it
evolved on the Canadian border is that many US pundits (particularly
students of Jefferson) assumed that many Canadian colonists along the
border area wanted to join the United States. However, the colonists
were overwhelming in their support for the British. I think this
profound expression of a distinct Canadian identity that became
evident during the war, often overlooked south of the border, is key
to the Canadian understanding of the war. However, the assertion that
the War of 1812 was primarily an invasion of Canada and part of series
of US invasions that show an evil pattern of US covetousness for
Canada is not supported by history.

-- Tom.

I am leading an invasion force toward Montreal. Our mission.. free the
French women of Montreal.. Take them back to NH and have our way with them..

A moral and just cause ..

Be-cause .. the French women of Montreal are the most beautiful women on
the planet.

Viva la la alalalalallaal Quebec..

================================================== ====================================
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

MMC MMC is offline

"Gordon" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
Gordon wrote in news:13321p32bcl5201
@corp.supernews.com:

I've often wondered why neither of our inglorious political parties
do nothing to wean the US off oil, but maybe its not such a hot idea.
Gordon

You live under the mistaken notion that political parties have something
to do with actually running the country, which is simply not true.

They are simply slaves to the powerful bankers, who fund and market the
oil and energy businesses, owning most of it, we are forced to support if
we want to have transportation.

Here's a great movie, if you haven't seen it....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zsZO6G7dfpI
This is not a conspiracy nutcase from the boonies. It's very
professionally done by Aaron Russo, a Hollywood producer.

Isn't M Moore a hollywood producer?

Have you watched Fahrenheit 9/11? The people who have voiced the strongest
negative opinions about it, not surprisingly, haven't.
I watched it and have got to say, if MM made that stuff up he'd have had his
a$$ sued off by the "family".
Just my opinion of course, but hell I'm one of those weirdos that like
gathering a little info and forming thier own opinions instead of blindly
adopting the opinions of others.
MMC

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If the US ever invades Canada, it will only be to secure the rights to Tim
Horton's coffee and donuts.

" wrote in
oups.com:

However, the assertion that
the War of 1812 was primarily an invasion of Canada and part of series
of US invasions that show an evil pattern of US covetousness for
Canada is not supported by history.

Just as long as no idiot bombs Possum Lodge or Port Asbestos and screws up
the best comedy tv show ever produced....I'm happy with Canada.....

"I'm a man....but, I can change....if I have to....I guess."

Larry

"MMC" wrote in
:

Have you watched Fahrenheit 9/11? The people who have voiced the
strongest negative opinions about it, not surprisingly, haven't.
I watched it and have got to say, if MM made that stuff up he'd have
had his a$$ sued off by the "family".
Just my opinion of course, but hell I'm one of those weirdos that like
gathering a little info and forming thier own opinions instead of
blindly adopting the opinions of others.
MMC

I admit it...I watched it. I watched "Roger and Me", too...(c;

9/11 was an inside job...

Larry

Gogarty wrote in
:

The Maine winter has addled your brain.

No problem. Canadian women coming South usually have MYRTLE BEACH, SC, on
their minds. The place becomes loaded with them.....(c;

Larry