Default Sail Track and Slide, any comments

Some sailors are saying the a low friction sail track and slide system for
the main could be an acceptable alternative to an in mast main furler. Any
comments.

wrote in message
Some sailors are saying the a low friction sail track and slide system for
the main could be an acceptable alternative to an in mast main furler.
Any comments.

I have used both in mast furlers and slab reefing. I have not used in-boom
reefing. On slab reefing sails, I have used both rams horns and single
pennant systems, and low friction systems. For sail control I have used both
lazy jacks and the Dutchman system.

My conclusions:

Slab reefing with low friction sliders is much preferred over in-mast
furlers. Not only is loss of sail an issue, but slab reefing is less likely
to jam. An 82 degree angle is necessary to prevent jamming an in-mast
furler. A slippery slab reeefing system can be reefed while sailing on any
point of sail. An in-mast furler must be taken head to wind; this not only
powers up the sail as you head up, the engine must be turned on to keep the
boat head to wind.

Rams horns are preferred to single pennant systems. I have had the pennant
jam so that sail could not be reefed, nor could the reef be shaken out.
For those concerned about going forward, I also wear an inflatable harness
and would add a tether if single-handing, in heavy weather, or at night. If
single handing, the auto pilot or wind vane will keep the boat on course.

Either lazy jacks or the Dutchman are a boon to sail handling. I prefer the
lazy jacks, because they can be pulled out the way when not in use. The are
only necessary when lowering the sail.

My $.02.

Jack

Jack Dale