Roger Long

Default Mast track lubing

I found a cheap, simple, (two of my favorite words) way to lube my
mast track today. It was one of those details that got lost in the
launching rush and Skip pointed out how sticky my sail was going up
and down. Oh yes, I think I forgot to mention that I took Skip and
Lydia sailing while they were in Maine. One regular contributor to
this group, at least, can testify that my boat isn’t imaginary. He
actually didn’t comment on how sticky my sail was but politely
suggested how much smoother it would come down with the application of
some Teflon grease.

Anyway, I took one of those Scotch Brite pads that doesn’t have a
sponge on it and cut it in half. I then put in a row of stitching such
that, when the edges were splayed out, it formed a "T" shape to fit
the track. Close to the stitching, I punched a piece of marline
through and tied it into a loop. I did the same on the other end but
left the marline untied.

Why Scotch Brite? Because it was there and, when all you have is a
hammer, everything looks like a nail. Actually, it has a very open
weave that holds a lot of grease.

I greased it up well, working the grease into the weave and then
inserted it into the mast track with the loop at the top. The halyard
shackle went into the loop. I had previously tied the free end of the
halyard into the shackle because I wanted to be damn sure I got the
halyard back down, whatever might jam.

Next, I put a spare sail slide into the track and tied it closely to
the Scotch Brite. A previous attempt showed this necessary to keep it
from popping out. A final blob of grease in the track ahead of the pad
and I then hoisted it carefully up the mast and pulled it back down.

Judging by how much easier it was to put the sail slides back in the
track, it’s going to be a huge improvement.

--

Roger Long

Jim,

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

Next time smear a little lanolin on it for lubrication (see your
friendly neighborhood pharmacist).

I have seen a tampon used to lubricate a mast where the sail is held
in place my the bolt rope
Roger Long

"Jim," wrote

Next time smear a little lanolin on it for lubrication (see your
friendly neighborhood pharmacist).

The lanolin I have is dark brown and I was afraid any excess would
show up on the sail. The Teflon grease (from a bicycle store) is
clear.

I'm curious why you think it would be better?

--

Roger Long

Jim,

Roger Long wrote:
"Jim," wrote

Next time smear a little lanolin on it for lubrication (see your
friendly neighborhood pharmacist).

The lanolin I have is dark brown and I was afraid any excess would
show up on the sail. The Teflon grease (from a bicycle store) is
clear.

I'm curious why you think it would be better?

I have a tube of lanolin that's clear -- use it on Turnbuckles, sail
slides -- most everything above deck -- seems to hold on well and not
wash away -- I never tried Teflon
Jan

"Roger Long" skrev i melding
[...]

Roger,

This was interestin, but due to my lack of knowledge of english terminology
I don't understand. What is a row of stiching? Can you may be supply a
sketch?

regards
Jan

Roger Long

"Jan" wrote

This was interestin, but due to my lack of knowledge of english
terminology I don't understand. What is a row of stiching?

Stitching is what holds your sail and clothes together.

I use on of these:

http://www.speedystitcher.com/

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

Here is a sketch:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/LubeSlide.gif

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Jan" wrote

This was interestin, but due to my lack of knowledge of english
terminology I don't understand. What is a row of stiching?

Stitching is what holds your sail and clothes together.

I use on of these:

http://www.speedystitcher.com/

--

Roger Long

Jan

"Roger Long" skrev i melding
Here is a sketch:

Http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/LubeSlide.gif

--

Roger Long

Thanks, now I get it!

Jan

Roger Long

"Scotty" wrote

Shouldn't the track be cleaned first before the grease goes
on, or is this a wasted step?

Sure but I think an advantage of the Scotch Brite pad is that it will
knock off and pick up some stuff as it lubricates. My track was very
bad and worked beautifully yesterday. The main just zipped up and
down yesterday.

I'm interested to hear that paraffin works. (See Rick's reply) I'll
see how much dirt the track picks up this season. That would have to
be applied while the mast is down in my case. I don't trust the
spinnaker halyard (used only for the dinghy at this point) or my kids
enough to go up the mast in a boson's chair.

--

Roger Long

More rebuild and refit photos, grounding the mast? [email protected] General 12 June 13th 06 04:27 PM
Ol' Thom/Crewman DSK ASA 15 May 22nd 06 11:47 PM
Carbon fiber mast - Radio transparent? [email protected] Electronics 4 April 21st 06 12:20 AM
Mast rebuild\hardware questions Matt Cruising 2 December 8th 05 11:23 PM
Mast Repair [email protected] Cruising 25 October 29th 05 02:35 PM