Default Jim Manzari - Cruisers Snared in Australia

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
snip...
As to when Australia became a territory of the USA - Mainly since LBJ
and definitely when Deputy Sheriff Howard took over (Our Malaysian
Prime Minister coined the phrase which fits well). He is often
interviewed on television regarding Australia's reaction to world
events. He usually responds along the lines of "I have spoken to Mr
Bush by phone and ......." I don't think he realises that the US does
not award knighthoods. Seriouisly though, in many ways Australia is
attempting to be the US in the souithern hemisphere. It is almost at
the Teddy Roosevelt era in many ways. It regards South east Asia as
its sphere of influence and were quite annoyed that they had to sign
away the right of pre-emptive strike in order to attend the last ASEAN
conference as guests SEA people do not consider Australia as part of
Asia but as another western nation despite Australia's politicians
claims. unlike the US `though, Australia will remain the mine and the
farm for a long time to come. Australians (I do have citizenship) may
object, but that is how I see it.

cheers
Peter

You think you have it bad... Canada has the same problem and is stuck right
next door.
When we get rid of our Conservative PM things should improve.

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:46:50 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

All of this is why I prefer to use my New Zealand passport for
travelling. We are seen as peaceful and green and totally inoffensive
(though some may consider that I am not included in the latter
category). The US, who were extfremely annoyed at our 1980's
antinuclear weapons stance do our PR for us at no cost to the New
Zealand taxpayer. - "Xena" the warrior woman," Lord of the Rings",
"The Last Samurai" to name a few. We are seen as pure and quaint,
living amongst dense forests and snowclad mountains.

We have even had a "most favoured nation" association with China,
long before it opened to the West, largely on account of a seaman who
founded a series of orphanages in the 1930's and stayed during the
Japanese invasion and the Communist era though not becoming a
communist - Rewi Alley. Apart from our 65 million sheep - we have also
exported a lot of talent - me for one (I'm allowed a touch of vanity -
my spouse is not reading this) - Ernest Rutherford, Colonel Pickering
who once headed NASA as no Americans were apparently good enough at
the time, and it is now proven that our Richard Pierce, a farmer, flew
before the Wright brothers. Hamilton, another farmer, invented the jet
boat, someone invented alerions (sp?) for aircraft and a simple post
office clerk in Dunedin invented the now commonly used resealable
paint can in the late 19th century. More NZ soldiers died per capita
during WWII than any other nation on either side - yet we still scoff
at waving the flag. These are only a few of the achievements of a
nation of 3.5 million people and its 65 million sheep.

The respect that this should engender from the rest of the world is
probably why we seem to get a good reception when travelling about.

By the way, we do have a high standard of English literacy despite a
friend of mine once receiving a letter from the State University of
Colorado in response to his application to attend a post graduate
course there. It stated, rather kindly, that "we are sorry but we do
not accept applications from students whose first language is not
English"

A lot of us have migrated across to Australia. When a reporter during
a television interview with the then PM - Muldoon (an obnoxious little
man with a divine aptitude for a barbed quick wit) asked him if he was
concerned about the brain drain, he dryly responded with "That will
raise the IQ level of both countries, won't it?"

Got off the track I know, but I at least enjoyed writing it.
cheers
Peter

Well. So it goes.

Thanks, Peter and several others, for some help in understanding the
customs situation in Australia. It sounds as though several ports
have some overzealous agents who remain a bit 'unchecked' under the
current system, and that it extends further up the chain,
relentlessly, once the swords have been drawn. Asking forgiveness and
being ever so humble is important in such matters. Especially when
dealing with diligent and serious people who so proudly, yet
stoically, hammer their rubber stamps of authorization upon one's
passports and ship's papers. I've never hesitated to show respect for
these government employees' authority or to stroke their egos a bit.
But, who really could know if this matter may have been handled
differently. Three elderly cruising couples clearly represent no
threat to anyone.

A recent 'cruiser's notes' in the March issue of Latitude38.com was
mute regarding a cruiser who arrived Australia this winter in the same
port as Manzari landed. No mention of difficulties at all, although
inbound weather problems caused delays which may have foiled their 7
to 10 day notice of arrival, if given when departing their last port
of call. Whatever.

Terrorism and the froth it tends to whip up within these brass-
knuckled newsgroups aside . . . .

.. . . it's unfortunate a couple of harmless innocents like the
Manzaris have been forced to expend time and money so needlessly.
Having met them in Switzerland eight years ago, we found them to be
fine and capable people who intend to cruise until they become too
infirm to continue. I suppose all this could be considered yet
another pitfall that most anyone could fall into. Sometimes your
number just comes up.

wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:36 am, the_bmac wrote:
Not sure, but if in Australia they use the first-past-the-post electoral model, un-representative,
un-Democratic anomalies can occur, such as we see in Canada where a dimwit Republican wannabe gets to
be Prime Minister with 30-35% of the popular vote. Polls done by conservative newspapers show 70% of
Canadians NOT in support of our soldiers being in Afghanistan fighting Bush's mythical "war on
terror", yet our PM keeps us there.

Mythical war on terror? Tell that to the 3000+ killed in NYC by the
Taliban, based in Afganstan. BTW 25 of the people killed on 9-11 were
Canadian citizens, not that you seem to give a f*&k.

I've obviously struck a nerve here. At any rate, try not to be so dim in your responses. This "don't
give a ****" crap spews straight out of your Ann Coulter handbook, and she's a dumb as a post. How do
you think that makes you sound? I think your certainty about just who is responsible for the walking
chunks of human excrement who caused those aircraft to strike those buildings is premature.

These people are common criminals, heroin traders and murderers. The
al-Queda and their Afgahn hosts the Taliban kill, tourture and maim
the innocent to control 75% of the worlds heroin traffic. They do so
under the guise of Islam. Islam is against terror, Islam is for
understanding and termperance! These people headed by Osama bin
Landen, the Taliban the al-Qaeda terrorist camps have held hostage a
great religion for long enough! Now the truth is comming out about the
Taliban and Osama bin Laden. Let us make sure that there are no more
bin ladens!

Interesting, creative, passionate, but sadly irrelevant; which brings us to the funny part. ruth?
Some of you Americans have a memory that only goes back about 5.5 years. You perhaps don't know, or
would like to forget; which US Government agency funded and trained Bin Laden and the Mujahideen in
their fight against the USSR in the 80's; which US Government agencies and officials promised Bin
Laden and the Mujahideen all manner of financial aid and support as reward for fighting against the
Russians at that time and which US government agencies and officials abandoned Bin Laden and the
Mujahideen like they were bags of dog **** after the Russians finally gave up and left Afghanistan.
Who do you think created these monsters, Einstein? Just who do you think are al-Qaeda and the
Taliban? They used to be your allies ya ****in maroon.

BTW, why were Bin Laden family members allowed to fly out of the US in the days after Sept. 11 when
any good ol' American boy couldn't even do a run-up in a C-152?

But whether this rightard swing in Australia explains a Customs
regime that seems to be out of control is an open question.

Right, they should just allow anyone, at any time, to sail in on a
breeze. So what if they do not follow proper up to date custom
procedures. It's not like a terrorist would attack them....now is it?

Straw man, but nice try.
Do any of those people cited in those articles look like terrorists to you? Do the actions of the
Customs officials in these stories sound like rational behaviour to you? Of course given that you
seem as happy as Larry to have had your constitutional rights violated by the idiot Bush, perhaps
fascist behaviour such as has been described has become normal for you. After all, you're safe, yes?
and you're on good terms with your local librarian, yes? But you probably only take out the "good"
books, yes? Nothing to worry about there, and who cares if the NSA listens to your cellphone calls,
yes? You're a good American with nothing to hide, yes?

Don't like it, don't go to OZ.

Okay, you don't seem too bright so I'll recap the thread for you. Nice people make mistakes and get
reamed by Australian Customs and legal system. Some Australians post their discomfort and shame over
these circumstances, noting a change since a certain right-wing politico dillhole has come to power.
The point is, stupid, that these sailors have been abused by an Australian system whose officials have
acted with the discretionary skill of turnips, now seemingly motivated by the same state-sponsored
fear and paranoia you seem to think is justified.

What a rube!

On Apr 14, 3:02 am, the_bmac wrote:

Don't like it, don't go to OZ.

Okay, you don't seem too bright so I'll recap the thread for you. Nice people make mistakes and get
reamed by Australian Customs and legal system.

snip
state-sponsored
fear and paranoia you seem to think is justified.

What a rube!

I actually agreed with the rest of your rant but, REALITY CHECK:

If the guy would've just admitted that he screwed up, he'd have gotten
off with a hand slap. Instead he is STILL crying over injustice and
trampled
rights.
Hey Dude, you are cruising around the world! That's a privilege, who
the h*ll
do you think you are?

(Tyndale - Jas 4:2-3) Ye lust and have not. Ye envie and have
indignacion and cannot obtayne. Ye fight and warre and have not
because ye axe not. Ye axe and receave not, because ye axe a mysse:
even to consume it apon youre volupteousnes [lusts, pleasures,
concupiscences, ηδοναις, or greed].

Methinks the guy should get 1-5 lashes and an invitation to leave.

On Apr 13, 10:02 pm, the_bmac wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:36 am, the_bmac wrote:
Not sure, but if in Australia they use the first-past-the-post electoral model, un-representative,
un-Democratic anomalies can occur, such as we see in Canada where a dimwit Republican wannabe gets to
be Prime Minister with 30-35% of the popular vote. Polls done by conservative newspapers show 70% of
Canadians NOT in support of our soldiers being in Afghanistan fighting Bush's mythical "war on
terror", yet our PM keeps us there.

Mythical war on terror? Tell that to the 3000+ killed in NYC by the
Taliban, based in Afganstan. BTW 25 of the people killed on 9-11 were
Canadian citizens, not that you seem to give a f*&k.

I've obviously struck a nerve here. At any rate, try not to be so dim in your responses. This "don't
give a ****" crap spews straight out of your Ann Coulter handbook, and she's a dumb as a post.

Angry little twit. The stupid kanook said the war on terror was a
"mythical war". Got news for you douchbag..it's real.

How do
you think that makes you sound?

About 100 times smarther than you.

I think your certainty about just who is responsible for the walking
chunks of human excrement who caused those aircraft to strike those buildings is premature.

Ossama admitted his involvement, and planning of the mass murders. And
BTW dumb ****, he aand his buddies murdered civilian's in many
countries.

Have a look penis lips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqP1zkxtCew

These people are common criminals, heroin traders and murderers. The
al-Queda and their Afgahn hosts the Taliban kill, tourture and maim
the innocent to control 75% of the worlds heroin traffic. They do so
under the guise of Islam. Islam is against terror, Islam is for
understanding and termperance! These people headed by Osama bin
Landen, the Taliban the al-Qaeda terrorist camps have held hostage a
great religion for long enough! Now the truth is comming out about the
Taliban and Osama bin Laden. Let us make sure that there are no more
bin ladens!

Interesting, creative, passionate, but sadly irrelevant; which brings us to the funny part.

What's wrong asshole, you worried your smack supply might dwindle?

ruth?
Some of you Americans have a memory that only goes back about 5.5 years. You perhaps don't know, or
would like to forget; which US Government agency funded and trained Bin Laden and the Mujahideen in
their fight against the USSR in the 80's; which US Government agencies and officials promised Bin
Laden and the Mujahideen all manner of financial aid and support as reward for fighting against the
Russians at that time and which US government agencies and officials abandoned Bin Laden and the

Yo dumb ****, if you are going to cut and paste other peoples words
you should give them credit.

Mujahideen like they were bags of dog **** after the Russians finally gave up and left Afghanistan.
Who do you think created these monsters, Einstein? Just who do you think are al-Qaeda and the
Taliban? They used to be your allies ya ****in maroon.

Oh so you think thats a good excuse to murder 3000+ civilians at
work..Got ya.
You sorry hunk of ****, it's clear you stand on the side of a pack of
murdering cowards. So what if they were allies in taking out Russians,
I guess you see that as a good reason to murder office workers huh? To
bad one of the 25 canooks killed was not your brother.

BTW, why were Bin Laden family members allowed to fly out of the US in the days after Sept. 11 when
any good ol' American boy couldn't even do a run-up in a C-152?

Hey stupid ****...read the 9-11 report and quit sucking Michelle
Moores dick.

11. The Saudis left the U.S. only after air travel was opened for the
general public. 12. According to Richard Clarke and the September 11
Commission, Clarke personally approved the Saudi departures,
and the decision went no higher in the chain of command.
13. Moore lied to a TV reporter in claiming that Fahrenheit discloses
Clarke's decision to the audience. Clarke called
Saudi exit material in Fahrenheit a "mistake" by Moore. 14. Contrary
to what Fahrenheit claims, the September 11 Commission found that many
Saudis were asked "detailed questions" before being allowed to leave.

But whether this rightard swing in Australia explains a Customs
regime that seems to be out of control is an open question.

Right, they should just allow anyone, at any time, to sail in on a
breeze. So what if they do not follow proper up to date custom
procedures. It's not like a terrorist would attack them....now is it?

Straw man, but nice try.
Do any of those people cited in those articles look like terrorists to you?

Tell me scrotum jaw, just what does a terrorist look like?
Sounds like you are a racist, just hassle the rag heads huh?

Do the actions of the
Customs officials in these stories sound like rational behaviour to you? Of course given that you
seem as happy as Larry to have had your constitutional rights violated by the idiot Bush, perhaps
fascist behaviour such as has been described has become normal for you. After all, you're safe, yes?

Is it facist for a country to protect in citizens and soventry?

and you're on good terms with your local librarian, yes? But you probably only take out the "good"
books, yes? Nothing to worry about there, and who cares if the NSA listens to your cellphone calls,
yes? You're a good American with nothing to hide, yes?

Don't like it, don't go to OZ.

Okay, you don't seem too bright so I'll recap the thread for you. Nice people make mistakes and get
reamed by Australian Customs and legal system. Some Australians post their discomfort and shame over
these circumstances, noting a change since a certain right-wing politico dillhole has come to power.
The point is, stupid, that these sailors have been abused by an Australian system whose officials have
acted with the discretionary skill of turnips, now seemingly motivated by the same state-sponsored
fear and paranoia you seem to think is justified.

According to people begging for money, to get them out of the problem
they got themselves into. A smart sailor knows not to deal with some
local yokle when visiting another country. The smart thing to do is
visit the embassy of that country before entering their waters and
having the up to date requirements. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
I can see how a mis-informed, bone headed stupid **** like you can
relate to someone dumb enough to enter another country without proper
permission.

What a rube!

What a cock sucking, terriorist loving, racist, stupid faggot you are.

Joe

On Apr 14, 10:34 am, the_bmac wrote:
wrote a bunch of frothy dreck which I:

snipped

whereupon he concluded with the stunningly eloquent

What a cock sucking, terriorist loving, racist, stupid faggot you are.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were retarded. Nevermind.

Seems you are the retard, quoting M. Moores propaganda over the 9-11
commission.

Whats wrong looser? Can not address any of the stupid **** you posted?

Nevermind is right, you never had a mind to use..It's crystal clear.

You racist faggot.

Joe

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 14, 10:34 am, the_bmac wrote:
wrote a bunch of frothy dreck which I:

snipped

whereupon he concluded with the stunningly eloquent

What a cock sucking, terriorist loving, racist, stupid faggot you are.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were retarded. Nevermind.

Seems you are the retard, quoting M. Moores propaganda over the 9-11
commission.

Whats wrong looser? Can not address any of the stupid **** you posted?

Nevermind is right, you never had a mind to use..It's crystal clear.

You racist faggot.

Joe

Joe, what are you going to do now that Imus is off the air? g

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Apr 14, 12:17 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Apr 14, 10:34 am, the_bmac wrote:
wrote a bunch of frothy dreck which I:

snipped

whereupon he concluded with the stunningly eloquent

What a cock sucking, terriorist loving, racist, stupid faggot you are.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were retarded. Nevermind.

Seems you are the retard, quoting M. Moores propaganda over the 9-11
commission.

Whats wrong looser? Can not address any of the stupid **** you posted?

Nevermind is right, you never had a mind to use..It's crystal clear.

You racist faggot.

Joe

Joe, what are you going to do now that Imus is off the air? g

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Jon,

I've never heard of Imus before his latest racist remarks.
What do you do now that Air America is as bankrupt in money as Al
Frankin was in integrity?

Joe