Nameless

Default Heading south from US E coast

A few years a go, we sailed from Fort Lauderdale Florida to the east end of
Puerto Rica (which is where the Virgin's start). We first sailed to Nassau
and then headed out from there. It was a long slog to windward and not too
pleasant even in a 50 footer. Total trip was about 9 days

Once that far south, many cruisers go leisurely via the Abacos and Exumas
and then have a shorter and somewhat more sheltered but still upwind stretch
to Puerto Rica and on to the Virgins. It is apparently best to bypass Haiti
and the Dominican Republic - there may be some smaller islands to stop at -
others may know.

Some friends are presently doing the trip - they planned to go via Norfolk
or Beaufort, then to Bermuda and then to BVI,s - 38 footer. Fine for
experienced sailors, but most cruisers from our area do not venture that far
out to sea!

As others have said - timing is such that you should now be on your way!

"Ayesha" wrote A bit of advice, please, for a UK yachtsman.
If I have a boat in Newport RI and want to head south to the Caribbean
-I imagine this is well worn route - what is the best time of year to do
it? Is it better/ more interesting to use the inland route, or make a
sea passage? How long would you allow to cruise it, rather than race
it?
Anything that would help me plan this passage would be useful,

many thanks

Kelton Joyner

If you want to avoid all that slogging to windward, you should read
Bruce Van Sant's book "Passages South" and follow his recommendations.
Takes all the hard stuff out of it. Don't be in a hurry to get there
though. His method requires waiting for the right weather window for
those windward passages.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Nameless wrote:
[...]

Ayesha

Kelton Joyner wrote:

If you want to avoid all that slogging to windward, you should read
Bruce Van Sant's book "Passages South" and follow his recommendations.
Takes all the hard stuff out of it. Don't be in a hurry to get there
though. His method requires waiting for the right weather window for
those windward passages.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

thanks everbody for your help. I now get the general idea and can start
to make some plans. thanks again

Capt Lou

The closest point on the U.S. east coast to Bermuda is Nantucket,
Massachusetts. You will be going twice the distance if you head to Beaufort,
South Carolina first!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Capt Lou

Larry, I love that southern hospitality! A bottle of cool wine upon docking,
bagles or donuts, coffee, and the newspaper delivered to the boat every
morning, a courtesy car to go shopping..............

When will those yankee marina owners learn how to treat their paying customers?

And by the way, tell the Chamber that I know the difference between Beaufort
(Bu-fort), SC and Beaufort (Bo-fort), NC.