Capt Lou

Default Heading south from US E coast

Larry, I love that southern hospitality! A bottle of cool wine upon docking,
bagles or donuts, coffee, and the newspaper delivered to the boat every
morning, a courtesy car to go shopping..............

When will those yankee marina owners learn how to treat their paying customers?

And by the way, tell the Chamber that I know the difference between Beaufort
(Bu-fort), SC and Beaufort (Bo-fort), NC.

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.
Don White

The odd thing about Bermuda is that Halifax, Nova Scotia is as close as
anypoint on the US eastern seaboard.
If it was earlier in the season, I'd say...come up here, enjoy the scenery
and then head due south.
Very simple except that you will probably be close hauled the first part of
the trip and the Gulf Stream current might slow you a bit.

Capt Lou wrote in message
The closest point on the U.S. east coast to Bermuda is Nantucket,
Massachusetts. You will be going twice the distance if you head to

Beaufort,
South Carolina first!

"Listen to the live broadcast of 'Nautical Talk Radio' with Captain Lou

every
Sunday afternoon from 4 - 5 (Eastern Standard Time) on the web at
www.959watd.com or if you are in Boston or Cape Cod set your radio dial to
95.9FM.

Larry W4CSC

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:15:06 -0500, "Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at
attbi dot com wrote:

Isn't the southern one "Bufert" or maybe "Buferd"?

Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

Right....Beaufort, in SC is pronounced B(long)u-Fut

South Carolinians have a similar heritage to British colonies like
Maine. They don't prounounce R either. Bu-fut

Charleston has a special dialect called Geechee. You can also hear it
in Norfolk, Va, (pronounced in Geechee Nofuk, which is where the Navy
sailors got it, not from their sexual discoveries).

Charleston, here, is properly pronounced Chao-stun.....

Do a google search on geechee and learn it. When you come to
Chaostun, I'll take you out to Rockville on Wadmalaw Island and cut
you loose after we take off your blindfold. The Geechee people, black
and white, will direct you back to the city and if you make it (many
don't and we have to send out the rescue squad) we'll issue you a
Geechee Certificate and put a special code on your driver's license
indicating to the local people that you know Geechee and can accept
basic instructions in Geechee, endearing you to all of them,
instantly.

Of course, drenched in coastal island hospitality, many Yankees refuse
to be rescue, choosing, instead, to stay in Rockville. Many seem
attracted to the shrimp, which sells there for $2/pound, to their
astonishment compared to "back home".

Another interesting pronounciation is one of the major islands close
in, James Island. It's proper geechee pronounciation is Ji-mile.
Makes perfect sense....reduces a long name to nearly one syllable, as
do many Geechee words.

I learned Geechee sitting at the lunch counters of the old Eckards
Drug Store just South of downtown Chaostun on US 17. Old Geechee men
used to sit and talk for hours and eventually let me sit in so I
wouldn't miss anything. Don't ask for translations, though. They
figure anyone who's not crazy already KNOWS Geechee, obviously.

Your reporter in Chaostun,
Lah-e
(Larry)

Glenn Ashmore

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Right....Beaufort, in SC is pronounced B(long)u-Fut

South Carolinians have a similar heritage to British colonies like
Maine. They don't prounounce R either. Bu-fut

Charleston has a special dialect called Geechee. You can also hear it
in Norfolk, Va, (pronounced in Geechee Nofuk, which is where the Navy
sailors got it, not from their sexual discoveries).

My wife, a Navy brat, moved from Mare Island to Charleston Navy Yard in
the 6th grade and her grades went from As to Fs. At the teacher's
conference it became obvious what the problem was. Nobody in the family
understood a word the teacher said. :-)

There are many Charlestonian terms that confuse Yankees. Like:
Noose: What Dan Rather purports to read on TV.
Abode: Noun: A flat piece of wood or Preposition: as in on or within a
boat or ship.
Korea: What UPS and FedX are.
Kyar: A four wheeled vehicle for personal transportation.

These are High Charlestonese terms. Geechee a lot harder to interpret
and Gulla is totally unintelligible. On arrival visitors are encouraged
to buy an English/Charlestonese dictionary.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com