Nameless

Default Heading south from US E coast

A few years a go, we sailed from Fort Lauderdale Florida to the east end of
Puerto Rica (which is where the Virgin's start). We first sailed to Nassau
and then headed out from there. It was a long slog to windward and not too
pleasant even in a 50 footer. Total trip was about 9 days

Once that far south, many cruisers go leisurely via the Abacos and Exumas
and then have a shorter and somewhat more sheltered but still upwind stretch
to Puerto Rica and on to the Virgins. It is apparently best to bypass Haiti
and the Dominican Republic - there may be some smaller islands to stop at -
others may know.

Some friends are presently doing the trip - they planned to go via Norfolk
or Beaufort, then to Bermuda and then to BVI,s - 38 footer. Fine for
experienced sailors, but most cruisers from our area do not venture that far
out to sea!

As others have said - timing is such that you should now be on your way!

"Ayesha" wrote A bit of advice, please, for a UK yachtsman.
If I have a boat in Newport RI and want to head south to the Caribbean
-I imagine this is well worn route - what is the best time of year to do
it? Is it better/ more interesting to use the inland route, or make a
sea passage? How long would you allow to cruise it, rather than race
it?
Anything that would help me plan this passage would be useful,

many thanks