Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Your boat should reflect your status in life. . .

There are sailboats and there are sailboats. Your boat should be a
reflection of your own life's ambition. If you are just a poor schmuck
living in a double-wide in Pennsylvania then anything you can come up
with to sail I say more power to you. A working man has to do what he
can to get out on the water and should realize even an unnoteworthy
vessel is better than no vessel at all.

On the other hand, people of means should sail a boat that reflects
their status in life. Not only boats but autos, for example. If I hire a
financial advisor I will have more confidence in his abilities if he
arrives for a meeting in a Mercedes rather than a Kia. If go to a brain
surgeon for an operation I sure don't want to see the dude arriving in
an old Volkswagen. See what I mean? If I go to the Tour de France I
don't want see the pros riding a thirty-year-old Schwinn with balloon
tires. You expect people to have and use things that reflect their
wealth and station in life.

The same goes for lawyers. If I hire a lawyer and he shows up in court
to litigate for me wearing cut-offs and a t-shirt, I will quickly inform
him I no longer require his services. Any lawyer I hire had better show
up wearing a quality Italian suit, silk tie and patent leather shoes.

Keeping this in mind, don't you think it would be wise for a lawyer to
show up in this group with boat having a quality name. A Hinckley, a
Swan, a Wauquiez, a Morris, an Oyster, a Contest. You get the picture.
Could you honestly have much confidence in a lawyer who could not afford
one of the above or was so ignorant that he sailed a MacGregor 26? How
much confidence could you have in a man fighting in court for your life
or freedom who had such low standards and questionable IQ that, in his
everyday life, he actually bragged about owning and sailing Mac26?

Your sailboat is more than some lame toy. It should be and is, even if
you won't admit it, a reflection of the kind of man you are. That's why
I sail a Swan 68. I certainly would never retain a lawyer unless he
sailed something equivalent.

Wilbur Hubbard