posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Your boat should reflect your status in life. . .

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
My ex's cousin was a financial wheeler/dealer. He would put together
limited partnerships, promise the investers all kinds of money.

He lived big. Big car, top floor condo overlooking the harbor, and he
owned a big boat which he didn't even know how to get the engine
running..

He was sentence to 3-5 for fraud, etc.

He ended up driving a cab.

So much for your theory.

You can't prove a rule with an exception, you idiot! And what's with the
top-posting. Can't you do anything right?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
There are sailboats and there are sailboats. Your boat should be a
reflection of your own life's ambition. If you are just a poor
schmuck living in a double-wide in Pennsylvania then anything you can
come up with to sail I say more power to you. A working man has to do
what he can to get out on the water and should realize even an
unnoteworthy vessel is better than no vessel at all.

On the other hand, people of means should sail a boat that reflects
their status in life. Not only boats but autos, for example. If I
hire a financial advisor I will have more confidence in his abilities
if he arrives for a meeting in a Mercedes rather than a Kia. If go to
a brain surgeon for an operation I sure don't want to see the dude
arriving in an old Volkswagen. See what I mean? If I go to the Tour
de France I don't want see the pros riding a thirty-year-old Schwinn
with balloon tires. You expect people to have and use things that
reflect their wealth and station in life.

The same goes for lawyers. If I hire a lawyer and he shows up in
court to litigate for me wearing cut-offs and a t-shirt, I will
quickly inform him I no longer require his services. Any lawyer I
hire had better show up wearing a quality Italian suit, silk tie and
patent leather shoes.

Keeping this in mind, don't you think it would be wise for a lawyer
to show up in this group with boat having a quality name. A Hinckley,
a Swan, a Wauquiez, a Morris, an Oyster, a Contest. You get the
picture. Could you honestly have much confidence in a lawyer who
could not afford one of the above or was so ignorant that he sailed a
MacGregor 26? How much confidence could you have in a man fighting
in court for your life or freedom who had such low standards and
questionable IQ that, in his everyday life, he actually bragged about
owning and sailing Mac26?

Your sailboat is more than some lame toy. It should be and is, even
if you won't admit it, a reflection of the kind of man you are.
That's why I sail a Swan 68. I certainly would never retain a lawyer
unless he sailed something equivalent.

Wilbur Hubbard