Parallax

Default Pourable transom?

That little ad to the right of the Google groups reminds me of one day
when I ran aground and was asleep waiting for the tide to rise. My
friend had been talking to a powerboater who volunteered to pull us
off. I came out of the cabin just in time to see the powerboat get a
running start. As I frantically waved my arms for him to stop, he hit
the limit of the rope and pulled his transom off going about 25 kts.
Being too stunned to fall over laughing, I acted nice and gave him a
gallon of epoxy and some glass matting. We did help him recover his
engine and pushed him onto the beach.
Jere Lull

Parallax wrote:

That little ad to the right of the Google groups reminds me of one day
when I ran aground and was asleep waiting for the tide to rise. My
friend had been talking to a powerboater who volunteered to pull us
off. I came out of the cabin just in time to see the powerboat get a
running start. As I frantically waved my arms for him to stop, he hit
the limit of the rope and pulled his transom off going about 25 kts.
Being too stunned to fall over laughing, I acted nice and gave him a
gallon of epoxy and some glass matting. We did help him recover his
engine and pushed him onto the beach.

You interfered with Darwin at work! That's stupid idea about #3739.... ;-)

At least you're distracting us from having to put our babies to bed for
the winter......

Had a reverse equivalent: 30' or so powerboat determined that the
creek's navaids weren't applicable to him, despite the obviously
grounded tree pretty much in front of him on the sandbar. He plowed into
it pretty hard, but it was a pretty steep-shouldered bar and It wouldn't
have taken too much more than he could apply to get off.

We took pity on him, unhooked from the comfy mooring, motored around to
the other side of the bar, and came up to his transom offering a tow.
His response was so condescending that I firewalled the throttle so that
our prop wash lifted his transom a good 6". His expressions (verbal and
visual) made my day as I returned to the comfy mooring on the other side
of the bar. I believe he spent the rest of the night bouncing on that bar.

--
Jere Lull

Parallax

Jere Lull wrote in message . ..
Parallax wrote:

[...]

When I was in college (believe it or not I graduated) I coded accident
reports for the FL Highway patrol as a job. One accident report
involving a boat was amazing.

This guy backed his boat down the ramp but when he stopped suddenly,
the boat wasn't properly secured and it slid off the trailer and into
the water. Nobody being around, he took off his clothes and swam out
to it. When he got aboard, he turned back to see his truck roll down
the ramp into the water. Next, he realized he hadn't put in the drain
plugs and had nothing to plug them. Next, the trooper arrived at the
landing to have lunch and stated in the report "I didn't have the
heart to cite him for indecent exposure".

Before I got into sailing, I was staying on St Georges Is, Fl for Mem.
Day anfd a friend brought his 16' runabout which he put in at the
landing on the bay side. He motored around to the gulf side and we
played in his boat all day. Later, I had gone into Apalach for dinner
and got back very late and didnt know he had decided to just anchor
the boat off the beach beyond the surf because he had too much to
drink to motor back around. He happened to have one of those Danforth
style anchors with the slip shank toi make it easy to retrieve. That
night, serious thunderstorms. In morning, when I woke up, he had this
serious dejected look on his face as his boat was gone. We walked
down the beach and found it swamped about 1 mile away near the beach.
We pushed it out and I swam the anchor waaaaay out beyond the surf.
More storms came up and soon the surf was breaking over the boat. He
called the Fl Marine Patrol and they came and towed it submerged all
the way over to Apalach for free. His insurance paid. He bought it
back from the insurance company, sold the engine to one guy, the hull
to another and the trailer to another and came out ahead $500. He
didn't buy another boat, thank god.

Mercruiser coupler replacement / transom issues Rich General 4 August 10th 04 10:07 PM
transom support Mike Kasiorek General 7 May 10th 04 10:23 PM
Transom cutout size for 130 hp Sylvester Sullivan General 0 April 4th 04 06:01 AM
transom support question Cowboy67 General 5 March 30th 04 01:11 AM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM