Default Stride's Cape Horn windvane installation

The web page about the installation of Strider's Cape Horn windvane is now
up:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Windvane.htm

--
Roger Long

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:21:54 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

The web page about the installation of Strider's Cape Horn windvane is now
up:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Windvane.htm

Looks like a nice clean installation.

Here's a little tip that has worked for me when installing
nuts/washers/lock washers in a nearly inaccessible place:

Try tacking the nut/washer/etc. together with double sided tape or hot
melt glue to make a temporary one piece assembly out of it. You can
then insert the nut into a box end wrench and position the assembly
with one hand while you tighten the machine screw with the other. The
double sided tape or hot melt glue will break loose during the
tightening process leaving you with a proper fastener.

"Wayne.B" wrote

Try tacking the nut/washer/etc. together with double sided tape or hot
melt glue to make a temporary one piece assembly out of it.

Good tip which I've used variations of often. I didn't have any tape with
me and was in one of those damn the torpedos, just get it done moods.

When I was cleaning up, I moved something and there was the damn tape!

If I'd just stopped and driven to the store to get tape and other stuff, I
would have been out of there an hour and a half earlier. Good practice
though for those times afloat when you get stuck without the stuff you need.
Amazing what the fingers will do with a little practice.

--
Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

The web page about the installation of Strider's Cape Horn windvane is
now up:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Windvane.htm

You just KNOW that line in one of those blocks is gonna jam, when the wife
is on watch, at 3AM, while you're asleep, exhausted.....right?...(c;

Larry
--
It is inevitable....

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Good tip which I've used variations of often. I didn't have any tape
with me and was in one of those damn the torpedos, just get it done
moods.

What do you guys have against Nylock nuts?

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

Larry wrote:

What do you guys have against Nylock nuts?

One word: TRADITION!

You're right. This would have been a good place to use them.

--
Roger Long

Roger ,, are you doing this work outdoors? I was at the boatyard today and
it is still winter where I am at. Snow, melting snow,

Big puddles ...

Do you have Strider indoors?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
The web page about the installation of Strider's Cape Horn windvane is now
up:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Windvane.htm

--
Roger Long

"NE Sailboat" wrote \

Do you have Strider indoors?

Nope. I work on her all winter long under the cover.

--
Roger Long

NE Sailboat wrote:

Roger ,, are you doing this work outdoors? I was at the boatyard today and
it is still winter where I am at. Snow, melting snow,

Big puddles ...

Then I probably shouldn't go into a long exciting description of sailing
this weekend. Even if the wind was gusting over 20 today...

Nor the 80 degree afternoons and the first of the season sunburn.

It just wouldn't be nice.

:^)

Richard

"Roger Long" wrote in news:45f48afa$0$17003
:

One word: TRADITION!

You're right. This would have been a good place to use them.

No, "Tradition" would have been wooden pegs, hand hewn from old growth
oaks, (not wooden dowels from a hardware store).

Put nylocks on and they stay on....easy.

Larry