Default Towing insurance cancelled?

On Feb 26, 2:02 pm, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 26 Feb 2007 10:50:26 -0800, "svequinox"
wrote:

Hi, all:

Please excuse the xpost to several boating discussion groups. I'm a
freelance writer and cruiser working on a piece about vessel towing
insurance. I'm interested in contacting folks who have had their
towing insurance cancelled or who were turned down for towing
insurance, preferably within the last couple of years.

Thanks for any help or leads you can give me.

KittyBennett
St. Pete Beach, FL

If you are talking about service agreements, such as "TowboatUS", I do
not think they consider themselves as "towing insurance". It's a
prepaid service contract.

I have heard one or two completely unsubstantiated stories about
people who have been refused for contract renewals due to what the
company considered "abuse" of the service. In other words, idiots who
needed towing or other assistance on a regular basis due to their own
incompetence. Are you expecting to find people who were turned down
for absolutely no reason? I've never heard of that, and I can't
imagine why it would happen.

CWM

Charlie:
You're quite right about it being a service contract. I always refer
to it as towing insurance myself, but your description is more
accurate. About the "idiots who needed towing or other assistance on a
regular basis," I plead guilty as charged. We were cancelled, which
was my inspiration for the story. We've had several tows in the last
six or seven years and one of them last summer was very long. We are,
however, fulltime cruisers and travel thousands of miles per year, so
we may be statistically more likely to get ourselves into a jam, I'm
not sure. I think it would be useful for folks to know how much use of
the service is too much use. As for people being turned down for
absolutely no reason, no I'm not expecting to discover anything like
that, just people who were turned down for renewals because of what
the towing companies considered to be excess use.

Cheers,
Kitty

In article ,
Jere Lull wrote:
In article Zx3Fh.30408$kr6.29541@trndny09,
"NE Sailboat" wrote:

This is probably a very dumb question but ::::

Is it required that one own a boat to sign up for the Tow Boat USA
insurance?

it's actually not a dumb question.

If you charter or go out with friends regularly, you might want to join
BOAT/U.S. to get the towing service. I probably wouldn't, but it (like
any sort of insurance/shared cost agreement) might make you feel better.

The charter companies out here, and I would suspect elsewhere, have
this coverage. Even the non-profit I'm involved with has it. We ask
the skipper to pay the cost when it happens, then we reimburse.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

"NE Sailboat" wrote in

Question for the assholes in Washington: what happens to all the
illegals if the economy tanks? Who is going to take care of these
people?

Have you ever wondered how much inflation the millions of illegals we are
having to compete with to buy goods and services is costing us? How much
fuel, food and clothing are they consuming, driving up the prices of
everything as these commodities become more scarce? What about rent?
They all rent apartments, mobile homes, and other low income housing the
lower income AMERICANS must pay for. How much is this costing them in
increased rent as they consume the low income housing market to store the
8 kids and Mom in? Medical facilities are jammed with them.

Every time I wait in line behind them at any store, I wonder how much of
the inflated price I'm paying for what's in my hand is directly and
indirectly caused by their presence. Of course, the corporations who
sell to them are ELATED, at our citizens' expense.

Larry
--
I have a new strategy to protect the Mexican border. From the border
to inside the USA, 1 mile, we turn it into our OPEN PIT nuclear

"NE Sailboat" wrote in

The way I figure; this is just the beginning. The USA has been
spending money like a crazy drunk for years. That is money that the
Federal Govt. does not have. The money came from selling debt. The
bonds. To who? The Chinese.

I sent an email to the Treasury Department's National Debt bureaucrats
and asked them where their extensive webpages listed the debt owed to the
Federal Reserve Bank Corporation, a secretly-owned private bank not a
government entity as most Americans think.

Their response was very terse. "That would be listed as publically-
funded debt.", they said. So, we can't REALLY tell how much of the
government debt is owed to the Illuminati bankers of the Federal Reserve
Corporation and compare it to what is owned by other entities, like the
secretly-owned, private bank called "The Bank of England", for instance.

China stores its money with the world bankers, just like everyone else.
Those bankers are the ones we borrow money from to fund our insatiable
appetite for military hardware and other nonsense. The politicians and
bureaucrats, controlled by those bankers, create this immense demand that
has driven the value of the bankers' own money into the gutter.

Bankers with names that end in names like "Rothchild".......

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

The thing I find odd is that our economies seem to be based on ever groving
populations.
We tell other countries that the world population is increasing too
dramatically but turn around and preach doom & gloom when our local
population stagnates.
I think we should find a way to prosper with zero population growth both
locally and internationally.

"Don White" wrote in news:BACFh.2927$PV3.39003
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I think we should find a way to prosper with zero population growth

both
locally and internationally.

South Carolina's population centers are certainly exploding. The climate
attracts them, now that we have air conditioning...(c;

Local and state governments are stealing the money growth creates,
instead of pouring it into rebuilding roads, expanding existing roads,
maintaining old roads and building new ones. Oh, they point to the new
lawyer's bridge to get the super rich in Mt Pleasant to the old city on
the peninsula...but all the other roads where the people live haven't
been repaved in decades and are falling apart from the heavy truck
traffic all this growth causes. It's been 39 years since Dorchester
Road, the main 4-lane highway up the East side of the Ashley River where
I live has been properly repaved. They've even stopped hiring tree
contractors to trim the trees, which are overgrowing the roads something
awful, banging into my stepvan going to work.

The roads are plugged with cars and the real estate politicians are STILL
issuing themselves new building permits for really high density housing
every day. Charleston is becoming HUGE! Summerville, SC, on the edge of
North Charleston, has the largest growing hispanic population in the
state.

America, as usual, is too stupid to take advantage of these people like
the smarter countries on the planet. Bahrain, the little island country
in the Arabian Gulf where the first oil well was drilled by ESSO, for
instance, allows foreign workers into the kingdom. Ah, but only the
WORKER can come to Bahrain to work! Mom and the kids STAY HOME in India
and Pakistan and Bangledesh. A guest worker MUST have a job sponsor at
all times. Going rates for a houseboy to cook/clean/do windows/household
worker is about $100/month plus room and board. I have friends who live
in Bahrain and to try to get them to move back to the states, you get,
"What? Are you crazy?!" Waited on hand and foot by their low cost
servants, spoiled them long ago. Ruth, the wife, said, "Not unless I can
take them home with me." Of course, with our regressive labor laws, that
ain't gonna happen. Thank you AFL-CIO! Guest workers do all the menial
tasks at your house. AS IT SHOULD BE! Stupid Americans.....(d^

The only way a guest worker can become a citizen of Bahrain is they must
live in Bahrain, continuously, for 25 years, speak/read/write fluent
Arabic and be a Moslem. That pretty much put a stop to the torrent of
immigration that was going on long ago. If the guest worker loses
his/her job, they have 2 weeks to find another one or the gummit will put
them on a plane for home. That keeps labor costs down. $100/month in
rural Bangledesh is a veritable fortune, I'm told.

Larry
--
I have a new strategy to protect the Mexican border. From the border
to inside the USA, 1 mile, we turn it into our OPEN PIT nuclear
waste dump, turning it into a no-mans-land for tens of thousands
of years. Anyone attempting to cross will simply be eaten alive
by neutrons! Problem solved!

We are letting our country be overrun by...

And yet nitwits like you continue to live here. I'll take the immigrants
instead.

The revolution is coming ... sure as ****.

Doubtless you'll do nothing other than whinge about it in a newsgroup too.

Larry ,, don't think of it in this way. When you say "ever wondered how
much ... " the liberals call you an evil nazi.

Nooo... ask the liberals this question: "how much polution are all these
people making".

They do ****, don't they. And **** must go somewhere. Who is cleaning up
all this illegal ****?

Do you think the folks who are working under the table, not paying any
taxes, are sending money to the local
waste water treatment plant to take care of the illegal **** they are
producing?

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Larry !!!!

I think ... you are my hero.

[Going rates for a houseboy to cook/clean/do windows/household
worker is about $100/month plus room and board. I have friends who live
in Bahrain and to try to get them to move back to the states, you get,
"What? Are you crazy?!" Waited on hand and foot by their low cost
servants, spoiled them long ago. Ruth, the wife, said, "Not unless I can
take them home with me." Of course, with our regressive labor laws, that ]

Larry ,, can I get a "housegirl" instead of boy? And teach her to sail my
boat?

For $100 per month?

Does Bahrain have nice harbors?

Any marina's?

oh boy oh boy oh boy ..

--------------------------------

Larry ,, can I get a "housegirl" instead of boy? And teach her to
sail my boat?

Bahrain IS a MOSLEM country, where adultery and even if they catch a boy
and girl necking in a car....they beat them! You're not looking for a
housegirl, you're looking for a prostitute! You don't have to go to
Bahrain for those...Thailand is a better place...(c;

For $100 per month?

Guest workers do all the labor in many Middle Eastern countries. Pick
any with pumping oil wells. American Guest Workers, like myself, were
included in that, but Americans are more skilled so get paid more
handsomely to keep them from going home.....at least so far. That may
change.

Does Bahrain have nice harbors?

Beautiful harbor at the N end of the main island near the airport. I
worked on the White Fleet, as Coronado and La Salle are fondly called, at
that port. Be sure you get a rental car with an electric trunk release
so the guy with the loaded AK-47 at the gate can pass you through
quickly. He'll close it after looking in there and doubletap the trunk
to let you know you can leave. If you hear him chamber a round, put your
hands on top of the steering wheel and sit very still!

Any marina's?

Ah, fantastic marina. It's called the Marina Club. An American ham
radio operator, who was Superintendent for Middle East Operations,
Halliburton Industries, Downhole Drilling Systems, Walt, took us over
there for lunch. What a fantastic place. I've never seen so many
Cigarette-style boats on a single dock as Marina Club. We had Gulf
Prawns for lunch, cooked on a huge stove right at our table by the head
chef. We smuggled raw horseradish in from the US for Walt. You can't
buy it in Bahrain at any price, for some reason. Walt made the sauce and
showed our chef. I don't want to know what lunch cost Halliburton. Walt
told us when we left we had discussed oil well monitoring equipment we
might buy...(c; Halliburton bought lunch. Walt was also on the board of
the marina club. The whole staff came out to see him. Walt was ham call
A92DT in Bahrain, but I've lost him. I don't find his call listed in any
callbook, any more. He was quite old and may have retired or died since
then.

Transients stay at the Bahrain Yacht Club. They have 130 yacht slips,
Arab Style. Your boat might look a little funny on such a LONG pier...
(c; Here's their addys if you want to check:
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Bahrain/MinaSulman

I tried, unsuccessfully dammit, to get the Navy to set me up a little
Electronics Shop at the American Support Unit in Al Manama, because I did
a lot of electronic work on the ships not scheduled on our work orders.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Bahrain WAS a fabulous place in the 80s
under Sheik Isa Bin Sulman Al Khalifa, who was very respected by his
people, even though he only came up to about my neck in height...(c;
Since he died and Sonny took over the kingdom, things seem to have gone
downhill with lots of civil unrest, arrests, nasty stuff. Best place to
read about it is on Mahmood's Blog, unless HE gets busted again. Mahmood
is NOT the Arab Tel Aviv wants you to meet....NOT the bloodthirsty
terrorist that keeps those American dollars flowing to Israel. He runs a
video production company, is an avid gardener, has 2 great kids and, when
it rains hard, lives waterfront on Lake Mahmood, where the road in front
of his house used to be..(c; http://mahmood.tv Great fun reading.
The blog also has fantastic videos of the real Arab people of Bahrain.

Well, off topic we go....hee hee. Take Google Earth for a spin around
the shores of Bahrain. Google Earth has posted VERY detailed sat photos
of the whole place, now....so detailed, the elite that doesn't want the
average Bahraini to see how WELL he lives in his huge hotel-sized mansion
at the foot of the LONG dock/seawall the 180' yachts are tied up
to...they had Google Earth BANNED from all the ISPs on the
Island...Batelco, the phone company the emir controls. Man, they got
some BEAUTIFUL homes and yachts!....behind those tall walls.