Parallax

Default transient slips

One of the biggest probs I had when cruising a little was deciding
whether or not to pay for my old slip space while I was gone for a
month or two. Fortunately, there is a lot of slip space available
here in N. Florida but for others it may be a real problem to give up
their slip while cruising. They may want to cruise for a while, leave
the boat somewhere and come home and then go back to cruising.
However, most marinsa charge an arm and a leg for transients. I would
not mind leaving my boat somewhere if it was legal, It isnt worth that
much and I would leave nothing of value on it anc could easily disable
it so it couldn't be easily stolen. Where to leave it? I see many
docks that would be suitable that are obviously vacant. On several
occasions, I have just wandered around asking and found places but
knowing in advance would be nice. SO.....Useless Idea #3728

Have a registry of ppl who have dock space available or who might be
able to accomodate another boat at their dock and for how long. Due
to liability probs, I doubt they could charge foir the use of this
space so we have to figure out a way to make it worthwhile to them.
Maybe cruisers could exchange spaces. It would all be on the internet
and accessible to subscribers.

Anybody else have ideas on this subject?

I see ppl tied to the pilings of a collapsed dock across the river
from my slip and I wish them the best cuz I know the property owner
prob doesnt care.
Jack Rye

Sure start a co-op share a slip program. All participants must carry their
own insurance, and be responsible for electric, water, phone(local only),
cable TV, garbage, and maintenance of their slip. You could do it all
automated by computer. Take their monthly rate and divide by 29 days. When
a person goes cruising for a few weeks or longer. They register their slip
with you. When a person needs a slip. You rent it out to them on a daily
basis 1/29. The persons that needs or owns the slip pays the co-op a one
time fee of 25$. They deposit money to cover the utilities in that slip
account. You pay the bills electronically. The co-op is nonprofit.
Good Luck.
Jack
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Glenn Ashmore

What would the marina say about you letting another boat use your slip
while out cruising? Maybe set up sort of an ICW transient time share
co-op database on a web site. You post when your slip will be available
and where you want to tie up. The problem would be that everyone wants
to be at the same place at the same time. :-)

Jack Rye wrote:

Sure start a co-op share a slip program. All participants must carry their
own insurance, and be responsible for electric, water, phone(local only),
cable TV, garbage, and maintenance of their slip. You could do it all
automated by computer. Take their monthly rate and divide by 29 days. When
a person goes cruising for a few weeks or longer. They register their slip
with you. When a person needs a slip. You rent it out to them on a daily
basis 1/29. The persons that needs or owns the slip pays the co-op a one
time fee of 25$. They deposit money to cover the utilities in that slip
account. You pay the bills electronically. The co-op is nonprofit.
Good Luck.
Jack
om...

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Parallax

"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message news:XJHkb.30258$Rd4.20155@fed1read07...
Sure start a co-op share a slip program. All participants must carry their
own insurance, and be responsible for electric, water, phone(local only),
cable TV, garbage, and maintenance of their slip. You could do it all
automated by computer. Take their monthly rate and divide by 29 days. When
a person goes cruising for a few weeks or longer. They register their slip
with you. When a person needs a slip. You rent it out to them on a daily
basis 1/29. The persons that needs or owns the slip pays the co-op a one
time fee of 25$. They deposit money to cover the utilities in that slip
account. You pay the bills electronically. The co-op is nonprofit.
Good Luck.
Jack

Wow, phone, electric, cable, thats high class living. I have never
had any of those things. All I meant was a coupla vacant pilings in
an out of the way place.
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What would the marina say about you letting another boat use your slip
while out cruising? Maybe set up sort of an ICW transient time share
co-op database on a web site. You post when your slip will be available
and where you want to tie up. The problem would be that everyone wants
to be at the same place at the same time. :-)

Jack Rye wrote:

I don't think he's talking about IN marinas - I think he's talking
about private property. Like a house with a dock and no boat. Often
those people rent out their docks - I know a couple of people that do
that from Ft. Lauderdale to the Keys. I'm not sure why there would be
a problem with paying for the use of a dock to the owner of the dock.

The guy we bought our boat from had a condo dock - that is the slips
were owned by the boat owner and they paid condo dues for the upkeep
of the general marina. No transient slips available. The gas dock
was a separate business, as was the repair facility and the
restaurant. This was in Galesville MD.

I think in the case of an actual marina where people pay for slips it
may be pretty common for the marina to rent out the slip of someone
who is going to be gone for some extended time. And I know that
during the Miami Boat show the marinas involved kick the slip holders
out so that the slips can be used to show boats. I don't know what
their financial arrangements are though.

Sure start a co-op share a slip program. All participants must carry their
own insurance, and be responsible for electric, water, phone(local only),
cable TV, garbage, and maintenance of their slip. You could do it all
automated by computer. Take their monthly rate and divide by 29 days. When
a person goes cruising for a few weeks or longer. They register their slip
with you. When a person needs a slip. You rent it out to them on a daily
basis 1/29. The persons that needs or owns the slip pays the co-op a one
time fee of 25$. They deposit money to cover the utilities in that slip
account. You pay the bills electronically. The co-op is nonprofit.
Good Luck.
Jack
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...

[...]

grandma Rosalie

Jack Rye

Sorry to here that. I sail a 56' Oyster and pretty much everywhere I use a
slip they have it all. You can always do both and set the charges
appropriately.

Jack
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
"Jack Rye" .# wrote in message

[...]

"Parallax" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ed

Down here in FLL, most marinas forbid anyone but you using the slip.
They own the rights to your slip when you are not there and they require
you to tell them when you leave for the night.

As far as the idea, I love it... keep us all informed when you are ready
to go... My only problem... I can only swap weeks I am not here... I
only have 80' of dock and I use most of it. BUT we have cable,
DSL-Internet, Phone and 100 Amps service. Bring it on!!!

Jack Rye wrote:
Sorry to here that. I sail a 56' Oyster and pretty much everywhere I use a
slip they have it all. You can always do both and set the charges
appropriately.

Jack
"Parallax" wrote in message
om...

[...]