Ray Cullum

Default Outboard Survey

When looking at an outboard engine over the winter (approx. 40hp) what is the
best way to try and determine it's condition? Assuming it cannot be started
and run.

Thanks,

Ray
S/V Frolic
bowgus

I'd say there is no way, let alone a best way. Reminds of a story I heard
about a guy that bought a bike at a car and bike show ... got it home, the
engine/tranny had no innards ... definitely a show bike.

"Ray Cullum" wrote in message
When looking at an outboard engine over the winter (approx. 40hp) what is

the
best way to try and determine it's condition? Assuming it cannot be

started
and run.

Thanks,

Ray
S/V Frolic

Larry W4CSC

Why can't it be run? Outboard motors are "self draining" and don't
require winterization like inboards. You need a barrel of water above
32F...(c;

On 19 Oct 2003 20:08:54 GMT, (Ray Cullum) wrote:

When looking at an outboard engine over the winter (approx. 40hp) what is the
best way to try and determine it's condition? Assuming it cannot be started
and run.

Thanks,

Ray
S/V Frolic

Larry W4CSC

US Supports Apartheid! Vetoes UN resolution
condemning Apartheid Wall.
http://www.antiwar.com/hacohen/h052103.html
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...917478560.html
Can apartheid at home be far away?....
Apartheid NOW! Wall off Mississippi!

Hmseconomy

Assuming it cannot be started
and run. BRBR
When I was in the market for a used motor some years ago, I took along with me
a saw horse in the trunk of my car. Every motor I considered was then set up
on the horse, a hose connected with ear muffs, or I asked the owner for a large
garbage can to fill with water. It's an easy thing to set up the engine and
run it -- which I would recommend before buying any used outboard.

Another possibility is to take the motor (and the current owner) to any
outboard repair shop and ask them to run it for you in their test tank. They
may charge you for it, but it would be a nominal fee well worth it.