Don O'Carroll

Default teak sealer

Is there a product which removes colored sealer from teak? I need to get the
teak deck on my new (used) boat back to the bare wood.

Phil

What kind of sealer is it? I had some nasty brown teak sealer made by
Starbright on my decks when I bought the trawler and I purchased the
stripper recommended by the factory to remove it. It was some kind of citrus
stuff and it didn't touch it. Then I used a bit of paint remover and that
was a mess. The best way was an electric DA sander and lots of 40 grit stick
on pads. It went fast, real dusty but it looks good. I just wanted the
natural look.
Phil

"Don O'Carroll" wrote in message
Is there a product which removes colored sealer from teak? I need to get

the
teak deck on my new (used) boat back to the bare wood.

Horace Brownbag

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:07:53 +0100, "Don O'Carroll"
wrote:

Is there a product which removes colored sealer from teak? I need to get the
teak deck on my new (used) boat back to the bare wood.

Sandpaper.

Ron Thornton

If your not in a hurry, the sun will do most of the work for you. I put
Cetol on my teak a few year ago and didn't like it (what was I
thinking). After two years in the sun most of it was gone and the rest
came off very easy with a finish sander and 120 grit. Didn't remove
much teak. If I were to do a deck I would use a floor scrubber with the
finnish sanding disks the floor guys us for oak flooring.

Regards, Ron

There could be Don. I've used the two-part strippers with good success. If
the deck has Cetol (or one of their clones) you have a more difficult
problem. Both parts are very caustic so I recommend wearing disposable shoes
(and not flip-flops unless you want to watch the soles of your feet
dissolve), have copious amounts of water to wash the detritus from the teak
surface, and take care splashing the chemicals onto the sides of the vessel.
It make take a couple of applications to get the color out, but it does
come.

Teak Deck Panels J.T. Tuomela Boat Building 5 June 30th 04 11:29 PM
Teak Finish Frank Gerry Boat Building 1 February 5th 04 03:23 AM
Which teak seam calk? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 17 December 19th 03 04:25 AM
user of varnish remover on teak Dave Cruising 4 July 28th 03 01:49 PM
Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore??? Calif Bill General 0 July 22nd 03 06:53 AM