Default tide clock

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 2:31 am, "Shaun Van Poecke"
wrote:
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.
Shaun

Hello Everyone:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"
Bewilderd Bob

Saves checking the daily paper for high/low tide...or buying those yearly
booklets..

wrote:
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for
the
bargan price of AU$70.
Shaun

Hello Everyone:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"
Bewilderd Bob

Saves checking the daily paper for high/low tide...or buying those yearly
booklets..

But does it tell you how high or how low the tide will be? Not likely if
it's analog.

I bought one in Auckland N.Z. 12 years ago and it works great in most
places. As Larry says, it runs to a different daily period. It is
great to just glance at it to see the tides when at anchor without
running a programme or checking tables

Peter, Herodotus

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:31:46 GMT, "Shaun Van Poecke"
wrote:

I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.

It occured to me that all it was, is a standard analogue clock with the
second and minute hand removed. open tha face and glue on a bit of paper,
right high at 12 and low at 6 and you have your very own homebuilt version.
set it to high or low when you know the tide is there and you'll always have
the tide at a glance. a lot cheaper than the rip curl tide master watch i
bought a few years ago and lost somewhere in asia

Shaun

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

wrote:
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at
the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for
the
bargan price of AU$70.
Shaun

Hello Everyone:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"
Bewilderd Bob

Saves checking the daily paper for high/low tide...or buying those yearly
booklets..

But does it tell you how high or how low the tide will be? Not likely if
it's analog.

Along the Atlantic Coast of Nova Scotia, the tide is only around 4 or 5
feet.
I like it to keep track of the best time to launch from shallow ramps.
http://www.lau.chs-shc.gc.ca/cgi-bin...n=5&stnnum=490

Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"

The only place I really NEED a tide clock is in the car ... On the water
it's pretty obvious.

It might depend on where you are. With tides that are a predictable 10'+,
misjudging can be inconvenient.

* Sal's Dad wrote, On 2/24/2007 11:31 AM:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"

The only place I really NEED a tide clock is in the car ... On the water
it's pretty obvious.

It might depend on where you are. With tides that are a predictable 10'+,
misjudging can be inconvenient.

I live in Boston with a 10 foot tide and find that I'm less concerned
with knowing the exact time and height as I became less concerned with
cutting corners. Nowadays I'm more interested in the current. (Of
course, in Boston the tides are synchronized with the tides, but this
is not the case everywhere.)

A tide clock is not very useful for travelers because the time of the
tides varies, and often in non-intuitive ways. And people who spend
their time on the water will generally know the approximate state of
the tide, and will use tables if precise knowledge is required.
However, the person who works in the marina office but never sees the
water will find it useful.

And it looks real salty.
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

I saw a tide clock on ebay today,

So let me see:
1) the clock does not tell you the level of the tide. For example
Low -1.9 or High +11.4
2) only good for the place where you set it.
3) so if i sail to another port I need to reset the clock.
3) I'll need a tide table to set it. Do I need to fall back and spring
forward?
4) Uhh, why do I need a clock if I have a tide table to keep the clock
accurate?
5) Oh ya.. They look cool. I guess its worth 70 OZ Dollars to increase
the cool factor on one's boat.

bob

wrote:

I saw a tide clock on ebay today,

So let me see:
1) the clock does not tell you the level of the tide. For example
Low -1.9 or High +11.4
2) only good for the place where you set it.
3) so if i sail to another port I need to reset the clock.
3) I'll need a tide table to set it. Do I need to fall back and spring
forward?
4) Uhh, why do I need a clock if I have a tide table to keep the clock
accurate?
5) Oh ya.. They look cool. I guess its worth 70 OZ Dollars to increase
the cool factor on one's boat.

bob

Or home.
I have mine mounted in my front hallway. I can check it as I leave the
house.

Tide clock/predictor Chuck Cox Cruising 10 October 10th 06 05:15 PM
Tides Fred Miller Cruising 6 December 18th 04 12:45 PM
[ANN] Tide Tool Freeware for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky General 1 February 18th 04 06:18 PM
[ANN] Tide Tool Freeware for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky Cruising 2 February 18th 04 06:18 PM
[ANN] Freeware Tide Program for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky UK Power Boats 0 February 18th 04 05:38 AM