Default tide clock

I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.

It occured to me that all it was, is a standard analogue clock with the
second and minute hand removed. open tha face and glue on a bit of paper,
right high at 12 and low at 6 and you have your very own homebuilt version.
set it to high or low when you know the tide is there and you'll always have
the tide at a glance. a lot cheaper than the rip curl tide master watch i
bought a few years ago and lost somewhere in asia

Shaun

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in message
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.

It occured to me that all it was, is a standard analogue clock with the
second and minute hand removed. open tha face and glue on a bit of paper,
right high at 12 and low at 6 and you have your very own homebuilt
version. set it to high or low when you know the tide is there and you'll
always have the tide at a glance. a lot cheaper than the rip curl tide
master watch i bought a few years ago and lost somewhere in asia

Shaun

tides are based on a lunar cycle; not on the solar cycle.

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in message
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.

It occured to me that all it was, is a standard analogue clock with the
second and minute hand removed. open tha face and glue on a bit of paper,
right high at 12 and low at 6 and you have your very own homebuilt
version. set it to high or low when you know the tide is there and you'll
always have the tide at a glance. a lot cheaper than the rip curl tide
master watch i bought a few years ago and lost somewhere in asia

Shaun

Like someone else said... lunar clock runs on a slightly different cycle.
When I retired from work, the executive of the local union I served on
presented me with a nice tide clock from the Downeaster people.
http://www.downeaster.com/content/tides.aspx
Mine would be similar to the Medallion series but mounted in a nice base.

"Shaun Van Poecke" wrote in
:

you think the clock really is a special clock that works on the lunar
cycle?

No, just that its timing crystal is a different frequency, which makes it
run on the lunar cycle, not the solar cycle.

http://www.klockit.com/products/prod...sku=BBBHH&tab=
$10 (movement only) or $11.35 with nice dial and hands.

I buy movements for quartz and grandfather clocks from Klockit.com all
the time.....BUT, they DO sell your information to the rest of the planet
so be prepared to be mailspammed to death by the craziest places, even if
you tell 'em not to. You're forewarned. I let them do business with my
home address, which is the junk mail box, and have a PO Box for regular
business.

When I get bored with the clocks I restore....or more often run out of
wall space (c;....I give them away to friends and customers as gifts. I
have fun repairing old electrically-would balance wheel wall clocks noone
wants to fool with. I can hear 8 ticking away as I type this...(c;
There's also a tiny hum coming out of an old Sunbeam tuning fork
clock...no, wait...that's coming from the Accutron tuning fork wrist
watch on my wrist, today...thrift shop - $2.99 as-is...(c;

Get a nice movement with the nice dial. Put it in an old clock case. My
tide clock was one of those porthole brass mirrors someone gave me. The
clock face was a little smaller than the porthole, so I had a glass shop
put the hole in the middle of the mirror for the clock shaft and left
mirror showing all the way around the clock dial. Looks very nautical
with its porthole dogs that open so I can replace the AA battery and
reset it when the tides drift away from the clock setting.

It's really noisy here every hour and moderately noisy every 15 minutes
with all the bells/gongs/electronic chimes going off simultaneously....
(c; I'm currently regulating a "German Time Bomb", as the clockmakers
call it:
http://goto.glocalnet.net/matebia/Ma.../german-tb.htm
The local clockmaker said he wouldn't dare wind it!....adding some thrill
to owning it...(c;

Larry
--
Vista has been out a week.
Is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

Tide Clock $11.35 (US)
Movement only $9.99
http://www.klockit.com/products/prod...?sku=BBBHH&tab

Google is your friend...

Sal's Dad

Shaun Van Poecke wrote:
you think the clock really is a special clock that works on the lunar
cycle?

I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high'
at the top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All
this for the bargan price of AU$70.

It occured to me that all it was, is a standard analogue clock with
the second and minute hand removed. open tha face and glue on a
bit of paper, right high at 12 and low at 6 and you have your very
own homebuilt version. set it to high or low when you know the tide
is there and you'll always have the tide at a glance. a lot
cheaper than the rip curl tide master watch i bought a few years
ago and lost somewhere in asia

Shaun

tides are based on a lunar cycle; not on the solar cycle.

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 19, 2:31 am, "Shaun Van Poecke"
wrote:
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.
Shaun

Hello Everyone:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"
Bewilderd Bob

oups.com...
wrote:
I saw a tide clock on ebay today, had a single hand with a 'high' at the
top, a 'low' at the bottom and that was pretty much it. All this for the
bargan price of AU$70.
Shaun

Hello Everyone:
Please help me with this. I have a difficult time understanding
complex concepts..................
Why do people use/have/need/require/want a "tide clock?"
Bewilderd Bob

Because they look so "nautical"

Tide clock/predictor Chuck Cox Cruising 10 October 10th 06 05:15 PM
Tides Fred Miller Cruising 6 December 18th 04 12:45 PM
[ANN] Tide Tool Freeware for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky General 1 February 18th 04 06:18 PM
[ANN] Tide Tool Freeware for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky Cruising 2 February 18th 04 06:18 PM
[ANN] Freeware Tide Program for Palm OS Updated Walt Bilofsky UK Power Boats 0 February 18th 04 05:38 AM