Default Kipor electric generator

Looking for a reliable ~2kW portable quiet generator for boating use. Has
anyone used or have a Kipor? I know they are less expensive than the honda
equivalents. Are they as reliable as advertised? thx

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:10:07 -0800, "Jet Red"
wrote:

Looking for a reliable ~2kW portable quiet generator for boating use. Has
anyone used or have a Kipor? I know they are less expensive than the honda
equivalents. Are they as reliable as advertised? thx

I have the Kipor KGE2600Ti. It's the 2600 watt version, a little more
powerful than the 2000 watt ones from both Honda and Kipor, but it
still looks like the 2000 watt version. Just about the same footprint
only a little taller and about 10lbs heavier.

It supplys great, clean power that can even get my A/C started. Also
runs a 3.5hp air compressor AND a 3/4hp drill press at the same time.
And it's clean enough power to run a sensitive LCD TV without
problems.

Has the eco switch so that a gallon tank of fuel lasts 10-12 hours
under low load, maybe even up to 15 with no load but then what's the
point of running it. Maybe only 4 hours on full load, which makes it
actually more efficient than the Honda because it's putting out more
power for the same amount of fuel use.

It's very quiet. Can't even hear it at all more than about 30 feet
away. I've had no problems but I just bought it a few months ago and
only have about 60 hours on it so I can't speak for reliability. Just
about the only think I don't like is that it's messy to change the
oil. Also, you can't parallel it like the Hondas. But it puts out
about 1.5 times the continuous power of the EU2000i so there's less
need to run 2 in parallel.

But, I don't use it on a boat. And I'd be very careful about using
any gas generator that's not properly built in on a boat.

Steve

"Jet Red" wrote in
m:

Looking for a reliable ~2kW portable quiet generator for boating use.
Has anyone used or have a Kipor? I know they are less expensive than
the honda equivalents. Are they as reliable as advertised? thx

http://hicklinpower.com/honda_portab...or_eu3000i.asp
Fuel Tank Capacity 3.4 gallons
Run Time on One Tankful 7.2 hrs. @ rated load
20 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H) 25.8" x 18.9" x 22.4"
Noise Level 58 dB @ rated load
49 dB @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 134 lbs.

Up until it's loaded to 1900 watts, in Econo mode, it only turns 1200 RPM
and is whisper quiet for a portable genset. This is NOT true of the
EU2000i or EU1000i suitcase gensets that run much faster (with much less
endurance, obviously). With throttle pulled open apropriately by the
computer in the inverter, my EU3000i pulls two 8000 Btu Korean window AC
units, yet remains under 2000 RPM. One tank pulling these units runs
about 16 hours, for reference to fuel consumption. You need fill it only
once a day, not every 4 hours like the little ones overloaded.

The 12A 12V charging output runs off a completely separate set of coils
in the flywheel, not off the inverter. Connect them to the house
batteries, separately, to charge them. They do not take away from the
2800 watts continuous duty power output on AC.

There is no "generator" in these units. The high frequency, high voltage
alternator coils run off permanent magnets in the flywheel exactly like
the stator coils in an outboard motor...which makes it tiny by
comparison. The high voltage is rectified into DC and fed to a really
heavy duty 3KW electronic inverter that puts out EXACTLY 60 Hz at EXACTLY
120VAC throughout its load from no watts to 3KW...rock solid.

Do not hesitate to buy it. It is the finest portable generator on the
planet and well worth the pittance in extra price. My 3000i must have
5000 hours on it, now, on the same spark plug and never has had even a
tuneup. It cranks in about 3 revolutions of its electric starter.

Shop around on the phone. Honda will cut any dealer off that advertises
a discount price on the net trying to protect territories, in vain.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THE GENSET IS DOWNWIND FROM THE COCKPIT AND
CABIN...THANKS.

That cheap crap from Chinese slavers is awful! Find the dealer to buy
parts from! You're gonna need 'em....

Larry
--
VIRUS ALERT! VISTA has been released!