Default Boat Show Season .. are they worth it?

I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go to
the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go
to the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

Good question.
I'm in the market for a depth sounder for my sailboat and our boat show runs
Feb 15-18.
I may call around and see if the marine supply stores will offer the same
modest discounts at the store as they will give at their booth.
I find the shows a crowded, noisy environment to try and get advice. During
the show week the stores are usually dead and the few clerks left to man it
look lonely.

Just came back today from the 'Strictly Sail' show in Chicago. I last went a
few years ago. Although it was basically the same show, I always find a few
things new
of interest. There were some actual boat owners there, who had some good first
hand experiences to relate. There was a Rhodes 22, which was extensively
modified
by the owner, with many interesting ideas. I managed to get complementary
tickets,
but the parking in Chicago is expensive. Seeing a lot of the new 4 stroke small
engines was of interest to me. Talking to all the Marina reps in my area gave
me an
idea of how realistic my rates are. I wouldn't go every year, but once in a
while it
pays. If you are interested in big boats (I'm not so much), there have been
long lines in the past to get aboard, but with the cold weather in Chicago, that
was not a problem. I also attended on a weekday when the crowds are smaller.
As far as bargains, everyone claims you get special boat show prices, but I
would do my homework before attending as some 'bargains' are just normal prices
reduced from
over inflated prices. I saw a lot of people leaving the show with small
outboard engines in tow.

Sherwin D.

Don White wrote:

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go
to the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

Good question.
I'm in the market for a depth sounder for my sailboat and our boat show runs
Feb 15-18.
I may call around and see if the marine supply stores will offer the same
modest discounts at the store as they will give at their booth.
I find the shows a crowded, noisy environment to try and get advice. During
the show week the stores are usually dead and the few clerks left to man it
look lonely.

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

As far as bargains, everyone claims you get special boat show prices, but I
would do my homework before attending as some 'bargains' are just normal
prices
reduced from
over inflated prices. I saw a lot of people leaving the show with small
outboard engines in tow.

Sherwin D.

I want to agree completely with Sherwin. I bought a Honda 4 stroke in
Annapolis which shipped to my home in VT was hundreds cheaper. I also
was able to buy a GPS unit with tremendous savings and actually talked
the Post Marine sales guy to offer me the price for 3 days (I checked
after the fact -- Sherwin is right, do your homework earlier).

And, I am guilty of buying amazing knick knacks I never need and
occasionally use because the demos are such fun (knife sharpeners, the
best adhesives, the stickiest tape, etc.)

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:F9xwh.9312$635.5201
@trndny05:

It is $12 dollars.

In Charleston, ours was $9 but they bragged about letting us park in our
own parking lot for free, instead of the usual $4 parking fee. Wasn't
that great?!

I didn't go. For what, to look at advertising? To chat with the CG
sailors forced to waste their Saturday at some booth? To talk to vendors
hawking stuff? The fish tank guy was there teaching us how to fish in
Texas. I didn't see the waterskiing squirrel advertised this year, the
usual peak in the show.

I can look at advertising and see ALL, not just a few, of the new boats
any weekend at the dealer's lot or marina slip....for free. Why do we
pay to see ADVERTISING?? It's crazy. A glass of beer was nearly $5! If
boat dealers had any sense, they'd WANT me drunk when I looked at their
Bayliners and GIVE me FREE beer! Then, they might be able to talk me
into buying one.

Remember when they couldn't wait to get you into the boat for a demo
boatride? Now, you're lucky if you get to crawl into one on the trailer.

Boat Trader - World's largest boatshow....$1.50 at the gas station...(c;

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah but.... us northern guys are desperate to pretend boating is just
around the corner. That $ 12.00 really sells you the illusion and dream of
upcoming cruises.
Cheaper than flying down to the Virgin Islands!

Dave wrote in
:

So you can either sit around resenting the fact that they'll make a
buck if you buy from them, or use the fact that they'll make a buck if
you buy from them to collect useful information.

I never resent anyone selling me something. I'm glad he's there. What I
resent is having to pay $12 to walk into his "store for the weekend" that
HE, not I, should be paying for to sell me something.

For this reason I do not have a Sam's Club or Cosco "card", some bogus
bull**** to get through the door of a retail "warehouse" store....

If I wanted to know about the Brazilian furler company, I'd call them on
Skype from their phone number off their webpage and talk to the guy who
REALLY knows what I want, not some resale vendor from Waste Marine.

Larry
--
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep vote on who's for dinner.
Liberty is when the sheep has his own gun.

"Larry" wrote in message
Dave wrote in
:

[...]

The vendors DO have to pay for the privilege of being at the Boat Show --
but if they had to absorb the entire cost of being at the show, they would
either have to raise their prices (or not offer great specials) or just not
go. As a promoter/event booking agent/boat show attendee, I can see both
sides of the coin and appreciate the needs of both. But I'll only pay that
$12 plus parking if I'm really in the market for something I'm likely to
find at the show, and ONLY at the show.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
et:

The vendors DO have to pay for the privilege of being at the Boat Show
-- but if they had to absorb the entire cost of being at the show,
they would either have to raise their prices (or not offer great
specials) or just not go. As a promoter/event booking agent/boat show
attendee, I can see both sides of the coin and appreciate the needs of
both. But I'll only pay that $12 plus parking if I'm really in the
market for something I'm likely to find at the show, and ONLY at the
show.

Several of the boat dealers in Charleston bought lots of radio ad time just
before the boat show in the "just not go" category. Boat show prices were
cut to attract buyers to their stores, instead of paying $9 to go to the
boatshow. The promotions saturated the airwaves the week before the show
opened. Many dealers here, now, don't play along....

Larry

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 11:54:11 -0500, Larry said:

For what, to look at advertising? To chat with the CG
sailors forced to waste their Saturday at some booth? To talk to vendors
hawking stuff?

Your victim mentality is showing, Larry. Sure talk to vendors. You're
under
no obligation to buy. Let them tell you why you should buy their widget
instead of the cheaper widget being sold by the guy 3 booths down. Hard to
ask a follow-up question of an ad.
useful information.

the real truth is Larry was banned from all boat shows after putting a
battery salesman into a coma ;-)

Shaun