Default Boat Show Season .. are they worth it?

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:39:09 GMT, "Shaun Van Poecke"
wrote:

the real truth is Larry was banned from all boat shows after putting a
battery salesman into a coma ;-)

Terminal condition ?

wrote:

the real truth is Larry was banned from all boat shows after putting a
battery salesman into a coma ;-)

Terminal condition ?

according to what i have learned, i'd have to rate his chances as one in
five.

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:16:05 +0000, NE Sailboat wrote:

I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go to
the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

I can see the attitude of "paying to look at advertising", but I see it as
a chance to see (as in look at, poke buttons, pull at ropes...) all the
New Stuff, and to get ideas for my OWN boat. I often get rigging ideas,
ways to use space or add something to the interior, and so on. SOMETIMES
I'm interested in actually buying something, but usually not. And even if
I am interested in, say, a radar unit - it's good to be able to look at
all the competition in one place.

My problem is that the Vancouver Boat Show (on next week) is almost
entirely powerboats. There's still lots of tips and tricks to pick up, but
it sure would be nice to see a sailboat or three...

druid

On Feb 1, 6:16 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go to
the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

I wouldn't decide that based on the $12 you might spend or save, but
more based on if you like the circus and the glamor. If you are going
to fret over making or loosing $12, no insult intended, a boat show
will just make you unhappy, especially as I recall from earlier posts
that you are a bit vulnerable to 'other-man-better-boat-bitterness'. ;-
See it as a movie ticket: Do you want to go see that? If yes, get

coke and pop corn and enjoy.

As soon as I get around to send out money to people who sollicited it
over the internet, you are right there on the top of my list. Position
number three, actually. Number one is the gentleman from Nigeria who
is in need of help with a financial transaction, because he asked me
first. Number two the crew of Bumfuzzle, because I liked their
webpage. But then you are right there on number three, your check is
almost in the mail.

On Feb 1, 8:16 pm, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
I saw an ad for the Boston Boat Show. It got me thinking ??? Should I go to
the show? Is there a reason to pay for a chance to spend?

It is $12 dollars. Years ago, I would go to the show and there would be
deals so that I would save more than the boat show admission.

What do you sailors think?

Absolutly yes. I was sorry that I could not attend the Strickly Sail
Chicago show. I am delighted that I will be at the Miami show. Last
year I got to Annapolis, Chicago and Miami. I am not a show junkie but
one who is relatively new to sailing and continually learning. The
expertise exposure and deals make it very valuable to go.

I would just like to pitch the Maine Boat Builders Show which is held in
Portland, Maine in March each year. It is a different kind of boat show with
mostly small boat builders and parts people showing. There are always
beautiful examples of the boat builders art that you can see, touch, and
smell. It is the only show that I still religiously attend.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem