Jane

Default Lewmar windlass are pieces of **** - was A Question on Friction ?? (long)

It was a mistake to try to fix these crappy products. Deep 6 it and
buy something to go cruising with.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:01:24 -0700, "Steve" wrote:

I'm having a problem getting my head around this problem..

I have a Lewmar vertical model 1000 electric anchor windlass.

The friction disk that is between the gypsy and the drum is a flat ring of
brittle friction material, ~1/2" wide, ~3/16" thick and ~4" dia. This ring
sets in a groove in the gypsy top surface. The top surface of this disc
contacts a smooth chromed surface on the bottom of the rope (warping) drum.

The friction disc kinda got broken when I backed off to much on the clutch
release nut on top to allow the anchor to free fall. When the gypsy spun
wildly, the friction ring appearently jumped out of that shallow goove in
the gypsy. When I tightened down on the nut to slow the free fall, the
friction ring didn't fall back into it's groove and broke into several
pieces. I managed to get enough metal to metal friction to prevent the total
chain length from running out.

Parts are no longer available hear in the US for this model so I went to a
very helpful brake and clutch shop in Tacoma. The fellow that worked with
me was a blue water sailer and knew exactly what I wanted.

However he recommended that I bond the new friction ring into the groove on
the gypsy top to prevent it from jumping out again. We did this and every
thing works fine 'however'... I can no longer free-fall the anchor until I
have about 50-60 ft of chain out or when motoring astern after the anchor
has taken bit.

Seems like there is too much friction now. Is this due to the new type of
friction material (looks courser) or is it because I only have a single
friction surface (as opposed to the two with the OEM arrangement) that is
free when I release the clutch nut?? Was it a mistake to glue/bond the new
disk to the gypsy, thus eliminating one free surface when released??

OK, How about a couple guys to get your 'egg heads' around this question.
Me? I can even spell physics.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"Jane" wrote in message
It was a mistake to try to fix these crappy products. Deep 6 it and
buy something to go cruising with.

Sorry to hear that Jane,
My primaries and most of my secondarys, as well as my anchor windlass, are
Lewmar.

I find no fault with the winches, other than the parts problem for older
models. This windlass is new but I purchased it 8 years ago but didn't start
using it until this season.

The damaged friction ring was due to my error in backing off on the nut too
far.. All part of learning how to operate new equipment.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions