Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Thoughts on rescue and lookouts

I'm not going to step into the fight Karin and Charlie are having down in
her thread but, along with the recent Barnes rescue, it does raise some
interesting questions. It isn't just idle philosophical musing either.
Someday, these dynamics could effect our ability to cruise freely.

The first thought I had was that, 50 years ago, Ken Barnes probably would
have figured out some sort of jury rig and limped into Chile, somewhere. Or,
he would have just died. In the absence of radios, people have done just
that (both options). I'm not implying for a minute that he's a wimp or did
anything inappropriate by calling for rescue and getting off. It's simply
that technology provided him with an option between great hazard and
suffering and rapid return to safe ground.

The by-product of the technology is that it now costs governments and
individuals breathtaking sums and effort to conduct the kind of search and
rescue that is possible and now considered the norm. These rescues are made
possible by other technologies like $1000 an hour choppers and $10,000 an
hour P3 Orion aircraft.

If there are a lot of these events, governments are going to balk at some
point at the cost. It's already happened in some wilderness recreation areas
where you have to post a bond or insurance to pay the cost of your rescue.
It's harder to control the ocean but governments could deny entry to yachts
that show up without such bond or insurance. You can anchor but you can't go
ashore or re-supply. Some countries wouldn't be above telling you that you
post bond or your boat stays there unless you have it shipped out on a
freighter (that someone's cousin just happens to own).

Draconian government intervention is probably way off, maybe forever due to
the small number of cruisers getting into trouble. Still, you have to ask
yourself about the ethics of setting off six or seven figures worth of
stranger's risking their lives when you get into trouble doing something
utterly discretionary.

I admire Karin's attitude but it isn't really practical unless you really
sneak away. Somebody is going to insist that you be searched for unless you
leave them without a clue where to look. I've had occasion to be out in
boats without telling anyone I was going and realizing that it would be a
couple weeks before anyone asked, "Whatever happened to Roger." It's
actually a wonderful and liberating feeling. If you want to cruise that way
though, you have to deny yourself and others the pleasure of postcards and,
increasingly, the Internet. If Donna doesn't show up in Puerto Williams, you
can bet there will be another huge search regardless of what she would have
wanted.

For the record, I'm not enthusiastic about singlehanding long distance
although I admire the spirit of those who do it and think the world will be
a poorer place when it is no longer permitted. Maybe Larry's right that it's
a violation of international rules but most ships don't maintain an adequate
lookout. One interpretation of the rules is that the ship maintain the best
lookout possible with the equipment and personnel on board. I'm sure Donna
Lange is doing just that.

--
Roger Long