KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Thoughts on rescue and lookouts

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
news:f7Boh.3858$1h.1663@trndny09...
Roger ,, I was just looking at Donna Lange's web site.. This is from her
report on site:

As of 0300UTC jan 8, 2200local jan 7
I have rounded Cape HOrn. All is well. The weather
was quite squally, grey and rainy all day but certainly
safe and and easy rounding. I was actually driving
at that point with winds 10kn. The winds have
continued very light and i have been driving all
night i am now about 1/3 ofthe way to Puerto Williams.
It is very slow going with headwinds which are
increasing. Once I have rounded the island off
the southeast of isla Lennox, i am hoping my point
of sail south of Picton will be westerly enough
to saill. the engine is doing well and miracles!!
the Alternator spontaneously started to put out
full voltage again. this is important because
it is enabling me tokeep the computer on with the
c-map program containing the only charts i have
of this area. The night now is really only a facad
as it only lasts a few hours and the sky never
really gets dark. the moon is still quite large
illuminating. i may be able to continue on to
Puerto Williams through the night if i can deal
with not sleeping. i grabbed a half hour nap a
bit a go when the steering vane was able to hold
course. even if the wiinds are on the nose, if
there is a good wined, the vane will steer while
i am driving; i am rushing. I was greeted by a
lovely pod of dolphins as i approached the horn
and seals have been following me , much like dolphins.
just beautiful. the scenes of the snow peaked
mountains, much like the american rockies above
treeline. no trees, a low green vegetation and
very tundra like. it is pleasantly warm enough.
55*f which has been great as i have the whole boat
openn and i have to be outside. I wil do a follow
up when i reach puerto williams. it is very difficult
now to be below. so many hugs and thanks to all
for your prayers. they worked!!! All is well with
my spirit and heart. xoxoxo d
===================================

Am I missing something? She reports using the engine. Is she in some
type of race or is this a "trip" so no rules.

Maybe I am not reading this right... But, she does say

"i am hoping my point
of sail south of Picton will be westerly enough
to saill. the engine is doing well and miracles!!
the Alternator spontaneously started to put out
full voltage again."

This gets crazier with each day.

Can you explain this? I am baffled.

It's not a race, it's a single-handed circumnavigation. She can do whatever
she likes. Sounds like she's a happy camper. :-)

Karin