Default locker door latches

I'm rebuilding my galley and need to choose some locker door latches.
I like the "push button" ones from Southco that are found on a lot
of newer boats but the cheapest I can find them is about $16 CDN each
from Lee Valley. We have a big galley and a lot of doors so that is a
bit expensive.

I've seen some Beneteau's with plastic elbow catches. The difference
with their elbow catches is the little plastic push panel inside the
hole; no need to push finger through hole and bend finger to open.
They look nice and cheap and light but I've never seen them online.

Any suggestions for light and cheap positive closures. I don't want
little brass spring loaded ball type ones; they open when items fall
against the door.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote:
I'm rebuilding my galley and need to choose some locker door latches. I
like the "push button" ones from Southco that are found on a lot of
newer boats but the cheapest I can find them is about $16 CDN each from
Lee Valley. We have a big galley and a lot of doors so that is a bit
expensive.

I've seen some Beneteau's with plastic elbow catches. The difference
with their elbow catches is the little plastic push panel inside the
hole; no need to push finger through hole and bend finger to open. They
look nice and cheap and light but I've never seen them online.

Any suggestions for light and cheap positive closures. I don't want
little brass spring loaded ball type ones; they open when items fall
against the door.

Evan Gatehouse

Probably not what you had in mind, but I installed a set of sloping
setee back doors, hinged at the bottom. The "latch" at the top is a
length of 1/4 inch shock cord (dark blue: nice contrast with the white
doors) knotted behind the door and passed through two 1/4 inch holes a
few inches apart. The loop is attached to a stainless "hook" or catch.
Been in use for about 5 years and no sign of problems or wear. One of
those years was liveaboard and the latches got heavy usage. Kept canned
goods behind one door with no problems even in weather that tested the
mechanical latches.

Low-tech repairs at sea, low initial cost, probably would clash with
some of the varnished teak doors. Oh, and did I mention cheap?

Chuck

Evan Gatehouse2 wrote in news:45a1f1ba$1_1
@news.cybersurf.net:

no need to push finger through hole and bend finger to open.

I've always liked those latches inside the doors because there is no way
for me to trigger them banging around trying to make my way when it's rough
and no way to snag my clothes or appendages of harness/sospenders I'm
wearing as I waggle by.

If it had even a recessed push button, something sticking out from me would
be sure to trigger a door opening and the ensuing unload during the next
wave cycle when the sea banged me into that door.

The secret is to make the HOLE a little bigger than "stock". The hole
drillers at the factory must be some really skinny people with piano-player
fingers, not the fat, calloused fingers of real sailors I know. I can hook
the fat finger to trigger the catch...IF I can get the finger...in its
glove, thank you...through the damned little hole in the first place....

Hole saw - Harbor Freight - $4.99....don't forget to measure it with your
gloves on!

Are you listening Endeavour Factory?!

Pinky fingers were NOT made to trigger latches at sea!

Most of the time "pretty" isn't "practical" in a boat.....dammit.