posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots

Default Can anyone ID this knot?

Sorry, I lost the attribution to this

FWIW, bowline failures are quite rare - while its often
discussed few people can offer a recent example

But I saw a bowline failure last weekend! My knife lanyard is tied with a
duobled figure-8 knot to the knife, and the other end is left straight.
When rigging down our ship, I tied the other end to a loop in my pocket
with a bowline. I kept the knife in my jacket pocket (folded) on my right
side, and lanyard was tied to an upper pocket on the left. When ever I
needed the knife, I could just grab the lanyard and yank it out of the
pocket. This produced a load pattern with the line slack most of the time,
with some hard pulls in between. After about two hours I suddenly realised
that the bowline had come undone. The line was regular white flag line,
double-braided, about 3mm thick.

I don't know the name of the improved bowline I used for reattaching the
lanyard, but that held for the rest of the day. (googling shows a water
bowline that looks quite much like what I did)

- Heikki

"Heikki" wrote in message

[...]

I suffered that failure regularly too, and stopped using bowlines
in light line for attaching knives/marline spikes etc, switching
instead to round turn and (3) half hitches. Critical factors were
that the flag line was very smooth - even slippery - and
relatively stiff for its diameter, so tended not to jam up.

Never had a failure in heavy line though, even when the stress
cycle was similar (on a secondary bow line made up to a quay in
surging conditions).

Which all goes to confirm the importance of a particular type of
line and stress cycle when assessing which knot to use. There is
no 'universal' knot.
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/

Paddle Leash == Bow Eye: The right knot? (PeteCresswell) General 8 August 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Cargo Net Knot for Children CLimbing Net Melanie Marshall General 1 May 27th 06 12:30 AM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
What's wrong with a Stopper Knot?? Steve Cruising 78 April 20th 04 03:48 AM