BoatBanter.com

-   -   Can anyone ID this knot? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/77137-can-anyone-id-knot.html)

BarelyAwake December 30th 06 11:22 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

KLC Lewis December 30th 06 11:32 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Is this a trick question? Sure looks like a bowline to me.

Karin

Jeff December 30th 06 11:36 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

BarelyAwake December 30th 06 11:40 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

Oops, I think I suffered a major brain cramp. I guess it is a bowline. I
should probably hold off on the magic mushrooms till after dinner!
Thanks for responding.

KLC Lewis December 30th 06 11:41 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
Oops, I think I suffered a major brain cramp. I guess it is a bowline.
I should probably hold off on the magic mushrooms till after dinner!
Thanks for responding.

That's okay. Just upload some of those puppies my way and we'll forget all
about it.

:-D

Ben December 30th 06 11:45 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

BarelyAwake schreef:

This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat.
still tied up inside the boom.

the bowline

what might be different for you:
this one is tied with the bitter end sticking out of the bend

some say this is the 'dutch bowline'
and indeed, in dutch instructions, this form sometimes shows up
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paalsteek

in english texts it is mentioned as the wrong bowline
although there are instructions for this form where it is the only
bowline:
http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/p3.html

knot wrong,

Ben

Jeff December 30th 06 11:48 PM

Can anyone ID this knot?

Jeff wrote:
BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

OK, its the Dutch Bowline or Cowboy Bowline. I was always taught it
was flawed, but I guess Dutch cowboys think differently.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm

December 31st 06 12:15 AM

Can anyone ID this knot?

As for the hitch inside the boom http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg
I'll be the first one. I am sure that if I am wrong I will be corrected by
some of the old timers.

I cannot see too deep inside the boom. With what I am able to see at the
end of the boom this knot resembles a
"Bowline on a bight". Some time I use it when a rope is too long and I do
not want to cut it but rather shortening it
See the following link and tell me what you think?
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline... tedknots.com

Peter Bennett December 31st 06 02:52 AM

Can anyone ID this knot?

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:36:28 -0500, Jeff wrote:

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Gordon December 31st 06 05:42 AM

Can anyone ID this knot?

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

Stupid Rabbit! Elmer probably nailed that one!