posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots

Default Can anyone ID this knot?

This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Is this a trick question? Sure looks like a bowline to me.

Karin

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots

Oops, I think I suffered a major brain cramp. I guess it is a bowline. I
should probably hold off on the magic mushrooms till after dinner!
Thanks for responding.

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Is this a trick question? Sure looks like a bowline to me.

Karin

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots

"BarelyAwake" wrote in message
Oops, I think I suffered a major brain cramp. I guess it is a bowline.
I should probably hold off on the magic mushrooms till after dinner!
Thanks for responding.

That's okay. Just upload some of those puppies my way and we'll forget all
about it.

:-D

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots
Ben Ben is offline

BarelyAwake schreef:

This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat.
still tied up inside the boom.

the bowline

what might be different for you:
this one is tied with the bitter end sticking out of the bend

some say this is the 'dutch bowline'
and indeed, in dutch instructions, this form sometimes shows up
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paalsteek

in english texts it is mentioned as the wrong bowline
although there are instructions for this form where it is the only
bowline:
http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/p3.html

knot wrong,

Ben

Jeff wrote:
BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

OK, its the Dutch Bowline or Cowboy Bowline. I was always taught it
was flawed, but I guess Dutch cowboys think differently.

http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots

As for the hitch inside the boom http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg
I'll be the first one. I am sure that if I am wrong I will be corrected by
some of the old timers.

I cannot see too deep inside the boom. With what I am able to see at the
end of the boom this knot resembles a
"Bowline on a bight". Some time I use it when a rope is too long and I do
not want to cut it but rather shortening it
See the following link and tell me what you think?
http://www.animatedknots.com/bowline... tedknots.com

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 18:36:28 -0500, Jeff wrote:

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

BarelyAwake wrote:
This hitch is on the inside of the boom of my boat. I know some basic
sailing knots, and I tried find this in a book of knots, but I don't
recognize this one. Can someone identify it?

The 2 links are to photos showing both the front and back sides of the
hitch, still tied up inside the boom.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2mm6z9z.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/2ypey3a.jpg

TIA for any assistance.

Its a bowline, but not in the standard form. I'm too lazy to fetch my
copy of Ashley to find the name of this variant.

Don't know if there is a particular name for it - I'd just call it a
"bad" bowline, with the tail outside the main loop, rather than inside
where it belongs. (The rabbit went around the tree the wrong way.)

Stupid Rabbit! Elmer probably nailed that one!

Paddle Leash == Bow Eye: The right knot? (PeteCresswell) General 8 August 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Cargo Net Knot for Children CLimbing Net Melanie Marshall General 1 May 27th 06 12:30 AM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
What's wrong with a Stopper Knot?? Steve Cruising 78 April 20th 04 03:48 AM