Default New Found Metal Portite question

I was just looking at their portlites. Wow,,, talk about nice. Sure would
be an improvement for me!

Any of you cruisers replaced old portlites? Did you use the New Found Metal
product?

If you did,,, could you explain a little how the new window goes in and fits
the old opening etc.

Thanks

Bob Bob is offline

NE Sailboat wrote:
I was just looking at their portlites. Wow,,, talk about nice. Sure would
Thanks

Hi:

Yes, I ordered and installed two 7x15 SS portlights from NFM. Please do
a search here and go to Bad Boat Biz. I describe my problems in great
detail.

After you have read my 6 month saga Id be pleased to answere all your
questions.

Woud I recomend using NFM? Yes and absolutly NO depending on your
needs.

Bob

I have no experience with either - still shopping - but you may want to
also see the bronze and stainless ports at Mariners Hardwa

http://www.marinershardware.com/ProdPortsFlush.php

MW

Bob Bob is offline

NE Sailboat wrote:
I searched ,, could not find what you are talking about ...

HI:
Since my description of agravations an disbief are a few hundred words
long I'll simply ask you to search for yourself. Go to the Google group
Bad Boat Biz. You'll see two posts on your screen re NFM. Also I posted
a brief description how NFM tests their ports to seal against water
here on: Thurs, Feb 9 2006 8:33 am

ALthoug I will include an update here.

I order two 7x15 316 SS portlinghts with 10mm heavy duty glass. After
the order I wos told 10mm glass was a "special order" item. I said
great.

Problem 1: the ports werenot sitting on a shilf they needed to be 1)
manufactured and 2) shipped from China. ETA to mainland is 3 months.

Problem 2: After NFM got them three months later they had a glazing /
gasket problem. NFM reordered.

NOw 6 months later I get my ports.

Problem 3: Rubber glazing holding 10mm glass in frame distored in tight
radius of frame corner. This keeps corners from sealing except with an
extream hairline footprint.

Problem 4: I put a weak magnet on the frame. 316 SS should not have any
attraction. These frames had a noticble, although very slight, magnetic
attaction. Were these ports really 316 alloy or somthing else?

Problem 5: A few holes on the frame for the 7mm machine screws (MS)
did not match the threaded lugs on the trim ring. In other words, I
could not bolt the frame and trim ring together.

Problem 6: I took photos of the problems and emailed them to Carle at
NFM. She said send the ports back. A few days later my ports were
returned. Carle said the ports were fine. I asked if I oculd return
them for replacment. She said NFM DOES NOT take returns of SPECIAL
ORDER items.

Problem 7: Carle got all ****y with me and said she would take me to
court if I continued to "slander her or NFM" in my posts here. You'll
have to make your own judgment re my posts.

What did I do?

Ground off the threaded trim ring lugs.
Placed the trim ring and the frame together and redrilled a 3/8" hole.
Ordered 5/16" 316 SS MS
This way I have a standard through bolt install.

I will re-glaze the glass next summer so the corners of ports seal
properly.
Also I used Sikaflex 295 to seal frame to boat. NFM instructions say
use a butal rope like material. I got some and after a close look see I
did not belvie the stuff would seal properly given my insallation
situation. Called Carly at NFM she argued with me and basically told me
I was dumb for not following her instructions.

So why did I go all through this................. their ports were an
exact size of my originals. It made it easier to just slip teh new one
in with out having to do major grinding, epoxy, glass, finish woodwork.

They are installed and work except one weeps a bit water from one
corner........... as I predicted. And yes I have cranked down
excessivly hard on the dogs until I started to warp the lense frame and
still leak. But I can fix that later.

Would I do it again.................. now with a year after this
project. I would just go with the the superior BRONZ ports made in the
USA. They will be twice as much around $600 each not $300 plus I paid
from NFM but I would not have had to "hand craft" my NFM ports to get
them to work. My time is worth money too.

Also I hear the Carly at NFM no longer works there. ............YEA!
Port Townsend is a small community. Lots of word of mouth hiring. She
may have to move to Seattle to find a job.

Thats the short story. Go to google group Bad Boat Biz and also go to
my last post dated:
Thurs, Feb 9 2006 8:33 am

Good luck, and remember I may be the exception.

Bob

I ordered 11 5 by 12 ports from NFM and installed 6 ports in my Irwin,
the other in a friends pearson .
No problems with the company or the ports. The company was very helpfull
when I had questions. I would use them again
Jake in NJ

LORAN ant question RB Electronics 11 May 14th 05 12:06 AM
Boat repair questions answers found here URL Michael Cruising 0 April 7th 05 06:56 PM
Fuel tank fitting question. Chris Mares General 5 February 6th 05 01:28 PM