posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Jan Jan is offline

Default GibSea 33

I am looking at Gibsea 33, built 2000-2002, as a "retirement boat".
Is there anyone with the experience of living onboard for 4-6 months
periodes who can share their experience?
And can anyone tell me why it is classed "category B" boat?

Jan

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:12:57 +0100, "Jan"
wrote:

Gibsea 33

Are you referring to this boat from Dufour?

http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=10623

Category B may refer to a European classification system, and probably
designates a rating of "near shore coastal cruising" or similar.

wrote:

Gibsea 33

Are you referring to this boat from Dufour?

http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=10623

Category B may refer to a European classification system, and probably
designates a rating of "near shore coastal cruising" or similar.

That's the one. The classification is European, and built up as you
indicate, but comparing to other similar boats of same size I do not
understand why it is this category.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:44:21 +0100, "Jan"
wrote:

That's the one. The classification is European, and built up as you
indicate, but comparing to other similar boats of same size I do not
understand why it is this category.

I don't know the factors that are considered for an "off shore" rating
in the European system but it might be related to things like
hull/deck construction, cockpit size/drainage, mast step design/type
(keel stepped is stronger), sail area/displacement ratio, hatch size
and construction, etc.

My personal criteria for an off shore boat is one built strongly
enough that it has a resonable chance of surviving gale force winds
and wave heights over several days. That includes such possibilities
as taking green water over the full length of the boat from any
direction, and/or being tossed down into the trough from the top of a
15 or 20 foot wave. That may sound overly severe but things like that
happen all of the time in storm conditions off shore.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:44:21 +0100, "Jan"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Gibsea 33

Are you referring to this boat from Dufour?

http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=10623

Category B may refer to a European classification system, and probably
designates a rating of "near shore coastal cruising" or similar.

That's the one. The classification is European, and built up as you
indicate, but comparing to other similar boats of same size I do not
understand why it is this category.

p 35 B "offshore"
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/marit...2_94_25_en.pdf

Jan wrote:

That's the one. The classification is European, and built up as you
indicate, but comparing to other similar boats of same size I do not
understand why it is this category.

In my French almanac, a Category B boat is designed for 'offshore' ("au
large") up to wind force 8 and waves up to 4m. A Cat A boat is for
further, windier, and wavier.

This site (in French)
http://perso.orange.fr/etoiledelune/...u_armement.htm
- which seems to be up to date - gives correspondance between the
category of the boat (A to D) and the category of navigation (1st to
6th). That suggests that 'offshore' is up to 200m from shelter.

None of which says what category a GibSea 33 should be in, but B sounds
reasonable.

Neither does it explain why the Jeanneau 35, for which I have a brochure
in front of me, says: Category A-8/B-8/C-10! Maybe it depends on the
type of keel.

Dave
--
(Remove any numerics from my email address.)

I used to sell GibSeas (made by Dufour) when I was a yacht broker a few
years ago. I would rate the Gibsea as roughly equivalent to a Beneteau and a
bit below the Jeaneau. Their B rating is the European offshore
classification system and indicates that it has less stability (ballast to
displacement ratio mostly) and maybe a bit lighter built than an A rating.
For inshore sailing it is plenty strong enough.

David

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Category A - Ocean.
Extended voyages with wind force in excess of Beaufort force 8, and
significant wave height of 4 metres or above.

Category B - Offshore
Offshore voyages in possible wind force of Beaufort force 8 and
significant wave heights of up to 4 metres.

Category C - Inshore
Voyages on coastal waters, large lakes, bays estuaries, or rivers,
where wind force of up to force 6 on the Beaufort scale and significant
wave heights of up to 2 metres may be experienced.

Category D - Sheltered waters
Designed for voyages on sheltered inland waterways, including lakes,
rivers and canals, where wind force 4 and significant wave height of
0.5 metres may be experienced

MW
Los Angeles

Dave Royal wrote:

Neither does it explain why the Jeanneau 35, for which I have a brochure
in front of me, says: Category A-8/B-8/C-10! Maybe it depends on the
type of keel.

Max number of people allowed onboard
i.e. Category A-8 : Crew of 8 for Category A

posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default GibSea 33 (Cross posting)

Jan wrote:
I am looking at Gibsea 33, built 2000-2002, as a "retirement boat".

snip

This thread is cross-posted to rec.boats.cruising and uk.rec.sailing
I notice that there is one (useful) reply that was made only to
rec.boats.cruising - which is not a group I usually read.

While generally a bad idea I think the cross-posted question was
justified in this case - or I wouldn't have answered. But it would be
helpful if any OP doing this set follow-ups to only one group - that way
anybody who's interested can find all the replies in one place.

It is also helpful to say in the original post where the follow-ups go.

Some people never reply to cross-posts, or only reply to ones where
follow-ups are set, or where they normally read all the groups. So
cross-posting may reduce rather than increase the number of (useful)